Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Scrappers will be the death of tankers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scrappers will be the death of tankers  (Read 27777 times)
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #105 on: October 08, 2004, 10:34:40 PM

At any rate, considering how prevalent the Tank concept is in comic lore, removing it would not be a desirable thing.

Is it really that prevelant?  I'll admit to being fairly ignorant ot the topic of comics.  However, in what I have read, I haven't noticed any 'impotent invulnerable' heroes.  As far as 'really tough' characters, yes...  The Hulk, The Thing, Superman, etc.  But none of them were as obviously less offensively effective as Tanker types are over Scrappers.

The only reason to play a Tanker in CoH is to get access to different offensive powers than scrappers get...  I.E. if your character concept demands you use firey melee, or a big axe, or a big mace, or raw energy melee, then you have to be a tanker.  Unlike controllers, defenders, and blasters, where two archetypes share a powerset which is basically the same except for being primary or secondary(energy blast as blaster primary is more or less the same as the set for defender secondary, with different damage tables).  With the exception of Invuln, the tanker/scrapper defensive sets are completely disjoint...  and the offensive sets do not overlap at all.

I think when they left the 'completely flexible' system for the 'archetypes' system, something got lost in translation.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Grind
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: October 09, 2004, 05:52:28 PM

Alkiera, you are absolutely right about that... re: invulnerability and cross over powers/sets. which kinda goes back to the intial start of this thread..

Quote from: Grind
Scrappers are the damage outputters and tankers the damage absorbers... Crossover builds (invulnerabilty or reflex scrappers and fire tanks) allows people to optimize - high damage output, total control of mobs via provoke, and very high damage resistance/avoidance...Maybe as an alternative to deal with this potential issue:

1. Do not allow crossover templates (i.e. scrappers should not be invulnerable and fire tanks should not have damage output rivalling scrappers and blasters) that can have best of both worlds to begin with.

2. Make provoke a tanker only ability OR have its effectiveness be much higher than other classes via general pool choices similar to the way leadership skills are much more effective with defender templates.

Cheers,
Grind (aka Spines on my CoH server)

PS. as per what jpark has expressed earlier in this thread, we have levelled four variations of the spines build all into their 30's and near 40. All tank as well as tankers, damage as well as scrappers. Latest build tries to get single target damage like an uber regen scrapper, comes close, but with other benefits is in my books more fun to play with tonnes of options outside of either tanking or uber damage. Very fun.
Sable Blaze
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: October 09, 2004, 08:27:47 PM

Again, invul scrappers don't tank as well as invul tanks. They can't. They tank well enough for existing content (mostly), but they aren't in the same league as a tank constucted in a similar fashion.

It's a bit late to be worried about crossover powersets. Things are as they are, and I don't see any radical changes coming out. The continuing tanker changes should address the provoke bot problem. The time-scaling damage output should help tankers level more rapidly. Ice and Earth tanks should see some serious revisions in their powersets.

Once all that is in place, it's just a matter of new content for tankers to play in to show off what they can now do. I personally see scrappers and tankers converging in roles in the 40s. Scrappers will still have superior status protection and mobility (aside from invul) to rapidly engage boss level threats and tanks will hold the line and (hopefully) do enough damage to keep themselves amused.
Grind
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 19, 2005, 07:35:58 AM

Bump... this seems topical given the intial opposition a year ago...

Cheers,
Grind
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 19, 2005, 07:37:01 AM

I play both. To be blunt, this issue is horseshit. There's no controversy here, aside from some "grass is greener" whining from board trolls and related malcontents.

And so on.  Well - what do you assholes have to say now?

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #110 on: July 19, 2005, 09:10:57 AM

About what?  (not that I'm admitting to being an asshole, asshole)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 19, 2005, 10:03:03 AM

About what?  (not that I'm admitting to being an asshole, asshole)

For a clue asshole - look at the start of the thread.  Attach your trailor park commentary as needed.

"  HaemishM.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #112 on: July 19, 2005, 10:07:35 AM

Aren't you the fiesty one!  Remind me never to tease you again.

You are dead to me.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #113 on: July 19, 2005, 12:00:30 PM

Well, you'd have a point in waving the "I was right!" flag except that both Scrapper and Tanker defenses were nerfed, and scrappers were given more damage.  The problem was an across-the-board abundance of defense and resists, not specifically with scrappers.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: July 19, 2005, 12:40:26 PM

Aren't you the fiesty one!  Remind me never to tease you again.

You are dead to me.

I offer my sincerest apologies here Signe.

My return to this thread was mean spirited - so I expected the same back in turn - so I mis read the spirit of your post.

(I have a lot of job stress at the moment - and I let it affect my conduct in these forums)

"  HaemishM.
Grind
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: July 19, 2005, 12:51:41 PM

Hehehe, from my perspective, I was trying to bump this thread since it had pointed out the need to fix an issue in the game - cross over builds, and how they will likely make nerfs/changes to address it in future...

COH developers openly admit that the changes they are introducing was to address this same issue, for example they clearly state:

"* Scrapper damage increased for all powers. Our goal is to increase the overall 'Scrappery' nature of Scrappers, making them melee combat masters, but not having Tanker-level defense. This change counters some of the general reduction in defense that Scrappers are seeing with this patch."

I.e. that differentiation is needed since, well, there is a problem to begin with that needed fixing!

From my perspective, I hate opening up ideas to be so sorely criticized to the point I stop posting. I kinda just wanted to show that maybe those ideas are not to far off the mark afterall.

Cheers,
Grind

ps thanks for the support and help in putting ideas together jpark.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 19, 2005, 02:14:23 PM

Cheers,
Grind

Why don't I trust people who say Cheers.....

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #117 on: July 19, 2005, 02:30:50 PM

Oh sure... the guilt trip.  Ok... I feel suitably guilty.  Look at Alkiera's avatar.  It always makes me smile.  It's the smiliest avatar ever.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Scrappers will be the death of tankers  
Jump to: