Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:34:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Katamari's creator not too hot on the revolution's controller. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Katamari's creator not too hot on the revolution's controller.  (Read 6154 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

on: April 19, 2006, 02:16:26 PM

Taken from Slashdot, but I'm not linking to Slashdot since the comments are pretty much nothing but Nintendo cocksuckery.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8952

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 02:04:27 AM

I read that as: "Heh, heh. Nintendo sukku. Sony pay billu. Heh."

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 11:27:38 AM

Last I read about him, he didn't want to make a sequel to KD and would rather design children's parks intead... which is mentioned here as well so I assume he's still thinking of that.  I also am skeptical of seriously considering opinions of controllers from people who don't seem to realize that Nintedo invented the successful controller designs from NES forward.  I'm starting to think the bastard doesn't even play games, with his dismissive comments on controllers.  Does anyone on this board think that controllers do not or should not have a big impact on gameplay?  Maybe he isn't to be trusted.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 11:32:16 AM

Maybe we are all being glib and just don't know the truth about controllers like he does.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 11:41:45 AM

Maybe we are all being glib and just don't know the truth about controllers like he does.

I agree, since I have not seen/touched it, but you'd think we might hear some negative or even unpositive comments about it from other people.  Like J Allard.  I didn't think Takahashi-san was being terribly negative, for the record.  I'm just saying his opinion is suspect.  He could just be like Eric Cartman when people tell him that Family Guy is just his kind of show.  He might be tired of people asking him if he's going to do something wacky with it.  "Hai... shovu it upu yuru ASSH!"

If the controller turns out to be ass, I'll admit it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 11:49:41 AM

I was being facetious.  I think it's fascinating that anybody would consider his opinion to have such merit when he has exactly one property of any value right now, and all he has done since Damacacy is sequels.  That goes without saying that he doesn't sound like he's interested in game developement all that much.

Now, if somebody like Will Wright said the same thing I'd sit up and take notice.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 11:57:45 AM

I was being facetious.

Whoops!  Normally I can avoid the sarchasm.

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 12:31:28 PM

See, I found it interesting, but it's largely irrelavant. It still all comes down to the games - and for many games, I just don't care. Look at Pilotwings, I don't particularly want to play a game like that with a pad I can move anywhere. I'd rather play it with a joystick or a regular controller. As for Takahashi vs Wright... Well, all I can say is Takahashi made a fun game twice and Will Wright hasn't made a fun game since Sim City 2000. He's made interesting games. But fun? Gah, fuck no. The Sims if fun like sweeping the kitchen floor. The point of asking someone like Takahashi is he found a completely unique sort of gameplay using one of the worst known controllers from gaming history - the dual shock. His opinion does matter - he's inventive. Not many folks are.

But, again, does it matter? Where are the games coming from? Are the games even coming? Will it ever be more than a glorified light gun? Will they box the original Duck Hunt with the system?
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 12:34:34 PM

Red Steel sounds like a hopeful glimpse of things to come.  Honestly, I would be perfectly happy with nothing more than FPS-style games on the revolution if that's all third parties want to create.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 12:55:08 PM

The laser pointer certainly won't make a Nintendo FPS more shitty.  The Wavebird is a great controller but terribly unsuited to FPS... and having played a lot of Geist recently, I know what I am talking about.

I remember hearing about Metroid Prime with laser aim (not that MP is a FPS).  I figure this or something like it will be the acid test.  If it's solid, we'll have a hit.  If it feels gimmicky, it's basically over.

Takahashi is creative, yes, but he's a deep-fried ar-TEEEST and therefore can't be trusted with practical game design matters without a real portfolio.  He will be riding the success of KD to his grave... unless he makes the most awesome park ever.  He got lucky.  He didn't want to make a sequel, and let's face it: W<3K is just  KD with some enhancements, extruded from Namco's bowels like any other sequel.  It's only an awesome game because it's a sequel of an awesome game and they didn't totally fuck it up.  If Takahashi makes another great and innovative title, I'll eat a katamari.

Plus I don't like his attitude.

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 01:48:02 PM

Will Eright isn't a deep-fried ar-teeeeeeeeeeeest? I put Will Wright and Peter Molyneux on the same level. Great Guys with Great Ideas, one of them doesn't have the time to implement them, the other one has the money and time and implements them badly.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 02:08:32 PM

Will Eright isn't a deep-fried ar-teeeeeeeeeeeest? I put Will Wright and Peter Molyneux on the same level.

I'll concede that.  Now they have three people in their little group.  Be sure to tell Mr. Roper that the new guy is gay.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Katamari's creator not too hot on the revolution's controller.  
Jump to: