Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:27:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: distributing info 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: distributing info  (Read 3093 times)
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

on: April 19, 2006, 12:12:15 PM

Since I'm at work right now, I can't play around with the interface. The knowledge base doesn't seem to have answers to these questions.

Does anybody know if you can leave notes or evemail in a hangar? Can you create an evemail mailing list? I haven't tried, but I assume you can send evemail to multiple recipients. Is that true? Is possible to create a shared mailbox?

If you know of any way to spread news apart from corp-wide mail. It would be particularly nice if there was something more  persistent than a corp mail, as those are always getting deleted.

One complete kludge would be to set the MOTD in a channel. I'd hate to have something really long to say, though.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 01:32:56 PM

You could create a Bookmark. That contains, I believe, both a name field and a full Description field wherein longish missives can be written. Then just create a copy of that and dump it into the Hangar.

However, I think the best thing to do would be to just create a webpage that is HTML 1.1 compatible. It's easy enough and I'd gladly host it. I've tested this a bit, and except for the fact that Tables take a pretty long time to render (as in, a noticable 5-6 seconds even for simple non-nested ones), the ingame browser is pretty good.

I've been mucking around with a new phpNews style sheet that would be IGB compatible. It'd be no trouble at all to set up a separate phpNews site, toss a few accounts at it (say, Officers or whoever has such-and-such rating in the Corp hierachy) and let them post information typical rant-site-front-page style (which is generally just three fields and a Preview/Modify button, with ability to edit everything).

If there's interest, I'll pursue it.
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 03:12:23 PM

That sounds good, except wouldn't it be globally visible?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 03:58:45 PM

You know, this would be just all-around easier using phpBB. People could login ingame or out, make and read posts based on access levels. The big thing is getting rid of zillion-cell tables that make up a traditional phpBB forum. I'll see how quickly I can hack out a phpBB style that doesn't use tables. May be a bit linear, but if we're just talking corp news a few people could post info to, who cares? Full discussions are why F13 has this forum :)
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 04:06:42 PM

We need a sub-sub-sub Eve forum.  Someone get Schild!
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 04:18:13 PM

Heh, I doubt forums.f13.net is IGB compatible.

I am looking forward to the day during which I can receive phpBB spam via Eve. Seriously, though, I think an IGB solution is too heavyweight. I know I wouldn't check it whenever I logged in. I'd prefer just to use this forum and ALT+TAB. A simplified IGB phpBB would be nifty, though. But ultimately no more expressive than this forum.

The more I think about it, the better evemail sounds. It blinks at you when you log, everybody already checks it, and you can check it from anywhere. I just wish I could set up a mailing list. Personal email seems to hang around as long as you want it to.

Can you drag addressbook entries into a hangar? Just having a folder of enemies and and a folder of friends would be nice.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 05:35:44 PM

Esc -> Graphical Options -> Run Windowed.

Start -> Run... -> Firefox.exe

Problem solved.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:43:48 PM

I have not been able to use Eve in Windowed mode without hitting 2fps. A buddy of mine on a good rig has the same problem. Am I missing something?

I've finished testing whether phpBB could be downscaled enough to work in the ingame browser. It can. It ain't pretty, but if all we're looking to do is post announcements, and we don't want all the crazy crap that typically nukes a standard phpBB style into illegibility, it'll do the job. The good part is that it maintains the built in access privilege stuff.

Let me know if you want me to go to the next step of posting it as a subdomain (probably gonna be something like evenews.darniaq.com or what.
Yoru

Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 08:50:56 PM

No idea. I just hit the checkbox and it works like a charm for me. NVidia 6800GT with some mid-April drivers. YMMV.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 09:07:06 PM

Maybe it's just my older rig. I should probably upgrade the drivers anyway. You running Eve with that make-it-fit-into-a-borderless-window program?
Yoru

Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 12:40:58 AM

No. Just straight Eve.
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 01:32:26 AM

I've tried dropping notes into cargo/hanger/cans and couldnt get it to work (so I assume it doesn't but the whole dragging bookmarks is buggy it's difficult to tell....)

I run Eve in a Window, mainly because (probably due to running it under XP64) I occasionally get a 'grey out' of the whole screen which, when running in full screen, wont go away unless I ALT-TAB out and back in again, in Window mode the screen flicks to grey and then back again (which I can put up with but I really must get off my arse and install the newer nVidia drivers...)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 06:38:40 AM

I've always run Eve in a window. From time to time they break the alt-tab functionality and if I couldn't do other things while I played I'd go insane.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 10:03:00 AM

I have not been able to use Eve in Windowed mode without hitting 2fps. A buddy of mine on a good rig has the same problem. Am I missing something?

A computer that isn't made of stone knives and bearskins?  My machine isn't new and it can run two windowed clients simultaneously, with a tad of stutter when one window had to load something.

About the HTML solution, I have forgotten a lot of my PHP... how hard to have password-based access?  Best way I have found to avoid bullshit code is to man-up and use a text editor to create things.

I'd offer to host it on yegolev.com but then I'd have to code it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 12:00:46 PM

I'll try windowed again tonight. Was giving me heartache and I didn't feel like fighting it. I don't care that much, since I'm dual-screen and that second monitor is bigger than my primary anyway.

As to coding, I am just a deconstructivist :) I start with stuff done right and then pull out the shit I don't want. phpBB Styles are good for this because they're all built like the freakin' space shuttle, a zillion tiny parts all doing stuff I've never seen nor used. Dwindlehop's idea is easy as heck. All ya really need is the interface stuff used to create accounts, login/out and be able to post new threads. It's just an easy news displayer with a login front in.

Anyone's welcome to build one from the ground up, but really, what's the point? It's not like we don't collaberate on forums already.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: distributing info  
Jump to: