Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:41:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Raid Log 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raid Log  (Read 2520 times)
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

on: April 13, 2006, 01:53:44 PM

Gonna start a raid log if anyone is interested in EQ2 end game. Feel free to provide validation if I'm not wasting my time or do nothing and eventually I'll figure out that I am wasting my time...

Wed - 4/12

The planned raid was for the Djinn Master (boss of the DoF expansion). As we all logged on we found out a contested was up in Temple of Scale (KoS zone.) Seeing as the resident uber guild on our server had a recent shake up we decided to give it a try. We had at least a 30 minute head start after gather in full and no other guilds ever had more than 10 people in zone.

Turned out the contested was a rather easy fight and we were in and out in about a half hour. The kill was worth about 80% of an AA point, only a single item drop that went to a caster for a good few DKP.

We then moved over to the Djinn Master. This was my first time through as I missed most of DoF raiding. Our guild had never taken down the Djinn Master and I believe only 2 or 3 guilds ever managed to beat him pre-KoS w/ the level 60 cap. The Djinn fight itself was designed by some sadistic motherfucker of a developer. It would be really hard to call it fun. Here's the flow:

-- Clear the zone to the Djinn fight. This only took about 15 minutes and wasn't too bad at all. Got a few drops here and there from about 5 or 6 named along the way. Nothing spectacular as they were tier 6 drops and we're all tier 7. Still a few upgrades for people but all going for T6 minimum of 3 dkp.

-- Clear the Djinn's guardians. As each of the 6 die they drop an instrument.

-- Head into the room and arrange the instruments in some geometric pattern where they are all equidistant to each other. This is pre-pull so not too difficult.

-- Pull the Djinn Master. You fight him down to about 80% and then any damage past that we will heal himself back to 80% and also will proc an AE 15 second stun whenever he's hit. So he hits 80% everyone turns off attacks and you have to position him in exact middle of the pattern you created above. Once he's positioned someone activates a music box and he is rooted. The music box is a seperate quest to get and is a one shot item with a 20 some minute recast time.

-- If you get him rooted someone then needs to run around and "play" (double click) the instruments in the correct order. If you screw up the order you're basically fucked as his guards will shortly respawn and you can start that stage over again.

-- Once the correct song is played you can now take him down to 50% and the instruments disappear. His guards respawn. Kill the guards, collect the instruments, reposition them in the exact correct places again, all the while making sure no body hits the Djinn with anything or he'll proc that 15 second AE stun. Oh he's also proccing a knockback on the main tank every now and again regardless.

-- Once the instruments are all placed repeat the above steps with the rooting and playing the song. You can now take him to 20% or so.

-- Do it all again.

-- Dead Djinn.

The entire fight takes about 30 minutes as placing the instruments while the entire raid is stunned is a HUGE pain in the ass. Not to mention if you fuck up the song you mayaswell start over which we had to do once. It's also a bit painful when everyone is stunned as the djinn is still beating your main tank into a pulp but now he has no healers. Lots of deaths and lots of in combat fighting.

Great loot though. Even for tier 7 standards it was good stuff. He dropped 3 fabled items, a master book, and about 7 t6 rares (pearls and such.) Unfortunately the loot was good enough for everyone to want to do it again. Once was probably enough for me. This fight took us a little over an hour all together.

Following the Djinn master we went and farmed a few named in old T6 raid zones for AA points for about an hour. A couple random items that went for the minimum bid and a bunch of others that went into the guild bank.

As we got to the end of the raid we got word that another contested was up in a normal exp zone and we were asked to come kill that as well as he was ganking people just trying to exp. This was a group x 2 contested at the bottom of Sanctum of Scale. A quick train to the bottom, 2 attempts with less than ideal group setup because we lost a bunch of tired people and we took him out. Probably a 30 minute side trip. 2 more good drops. One was a very nice set of legs that I was after but got outbid.

I did manage one upgrade that I got for a little over the minimum. A nice pair of fabled boots with flowing thought 4.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 02:17:11 PM

The Djinn fight itself was designed by some sadistic motherfucker of a developer. It would be really hard to call it fun. Here's the flow:...
Thanks for the write up.

My question is more of a philosphical one.  Considering the action of raiding itself does not seem fun, what is it about raids that are fun for you?  Is it just the item acquisition?  The sense of accomplishment or doing something "hard"?  The bragging rights?  The time spent gaming with friends (though it doesnt' sound like there much time to socialize and BS while micro-managing the correct steps to complete a raid)?  Or is it more along the lines of "that's all there is to do when you're high level, and I don't want to quit b/c my friends still play"? 

In other words, what motivates you to raid?

Every time I've read one of these I just can't imagine myself wanting to participate in one, even if I had 3 hours to blow.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:36:00 PM

I remember there is a satisfying meta game in advancing your guild and "gearing up". Every raid feels like another step toward some goal...another piece entered into the puzzle.

Part of it is to try new encounters and win for that ego boost.

There's a guild versus guild component. There's an ego component to being in an "uber" guild and being 1/2/3 or whatever on the server. That drives people to help raid and try to win adoration from the masses. This is pretty hollow in reality, but it can get pretty intense when you are involved.

Finally, you want to beef up your own character with fancy items. Part of the fun from this is showing off to newbs and random people in experience groups. "WOW YOU GOT A CLOUDSONG?!"

This is all from EQ1 several years ago. I was young and stupid then.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 03:01:07 PM

Most raids are only really fun the first time.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 04:03:38 PM

That is true of 95% of all developer generated content in any game.

Hence my signature, if you didn't have to do the same shit over and over I wouldn't dislike pve, but you do, it doesn't change.  Diablo is the only game that avoids this pitfall too bad is the Diablo series (random = cool?) where the fuck is HG:L anyways...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 07:21:54 AM

In other words, what motivates you to raid?

Xilren

For me personally there's a couple factors:

-- EQ2 is the first game I've ever participated in formal raids. I've been playing MMOG's since about 2 months after the release of UO but I've never been involved in the raid aspect of any games. Part of my desire is to see first hand what it's all about.

-- Another factor is just hanging out with friends online. I mentioned in another post how our guild mostly knows each other from outside of the game. Our guild leader is a high school friend of mine I've known for about 12 years or so that i don't see outside of the game more than once or twice a year. First time I ever actually met his wife was over teamspeak.

-- Competition. We've consistently been the #2 or #3 raiding guild on our server. About 6 months ago the #1 guild shattered and fell apart and recently the existing #1 guild (Korean guild) lost their guild leader and main raid tank and is on the verge of collapse if someone doesn't step up for them. This finally puts us at the top along with 2 other guilds who are pretty close behind.

-- The challenge is also important. Yeah the Djinn Master fight was annoying, very difficult, and took every single person paying attention and doing their job. It was definately satisfying to complete it. Unlike other people though I don't have the urge to do that particular raid again.

-- I'm not going to lie and say the loot isn't important. This is the reason to do a raid the second time. Fortunately we've all got enough experience and work together enough that once we know the strategy we can usually fly through zones. Once we hit farm level our raid nights will probably drop to about 2 hours, three times a week. That will be more than enough to gear us up so we're ready for the next expanstion in 6 or so months.

-- Being ready for the next expansion. Our guild has a number of server firsts which brings you back around to the competition between guilds. If we're sufficiently geared up from tier 7 we'll be ready to roll into tier 8 once the next expansion is out.

-- And finally another personal reason is cold hard cash. When I leave the game I will transfer my char to an exchange server and sell it. Knowing I'm at the top of my class means my char will demand top dollar. Currently I believe that's around $900 - $1200.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 10:16:54 AM

Just one question.

Are you allowed to resist stuns and knockbacks in EQ2 or would that be too unbalancing?

--GF
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 10:46:26 AM

It all depends on what sort of damage type is associated with the stun. It is definately possible to resist most spell type AE's and stuns just by building up the appropriate resist (fire, disease, poison, and so on). The problem is the melee stuns and AE's are much harder to build up resists to. There are some items in games that offer +slashing or +crushing type resists but not enough to effectively resist all melee AEs.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Raid Log  
Jump to: