Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:54:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: [NECROPOST][NECROMMOG]Uru: The Trainwreck Beyond Myst 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [NECROPOST][NECROMMOG]Uru: The Trainwreck Beyond Myst  (Read 6570 times)
pxib
Terracotta Army

on: April 11, 2006, 03:10:25 AM

Honestly, I cannot think what didn't  go wrong. The content was exhausted before people started playing the online game, no zone could handle more than twelve simultaneous players,  the avatars were ugly and identical, and... worst of all... it was about the least likely franchise in history to make the MMOG leap, but it tried anyway. The fans were so eager and so unprepared that they made beautiful games (and pseudo-religions) out of traffic cones and invisible walls. The developers were so eager and so unprepared that they showed up in-person to chat IN-CHARACTER about how it wasn't a game at all BUT A GIANT CAVERN UNDERNEATH NEW-MEXICO. Every tiny,  precious thing done right was surrounded on all sides by great looming broken dreams.

So they pulled the plug after the game launched, but before they started charging a monthly fee... then they provided software for hosting your own servers... and now, rumor has it, they're developing tools whereby the thriving fanbase can produce worlds of their own. It was never massively anything, but somehow after a truly unprecedented failure it's still around. Then again, the players were such fanboys that they had long, involved debates about the meaning of the flickering of certain lamps.

(In a perfect world this post would be brimming with inset hyperlinks, but I honstly don't care enough anymore to hunt the stuff down.)

Anybody else part of this?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 10:44:39 AM by pxib »

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 06:41:48 AM

I was in the first wave of beta or was it alpha for Uru. I told them right off the online game was going to flop. What I took away from the game was that the Uru/Myst fanboys outdo any fanboys that I've ever seen for any game. They will sit around in a single room for hours with nothing to do and nowhere to go just to say they did.

They're really kind of pathetic.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 07:58:56 AM

They are fanbois around a game that is nothing more than a pixel-click-and-peck game. There is less interactivity in the Myst series than the Wish alpha. Of course they've built a religion around the game. After all, what else would they have?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 09:19:28 AM

This really sounds like something that could teach us a great deal about religion.  Makes me sort of wish I was some kind of sociologist/theologian hybrid with lots of time on my hands and people paying me to write "academic papers".

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 10:15:22 AM

They are fanbois around a game that is nothing more than a pixel-click-and-peck game. There is less interactivity in the Myst series than the Wish alpha. Of course they've built a religion around the game. After all, what else would they have?

They left out the goat wrangling??

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 10:36:42 AM

The technology in Uru was very nice, as I recall. It's a shame they wasted a very nice engine and a very solid art team to make an insanely confusing, worthless online design. That game dressed up in standard Myst gameplay would have been pretty sweet. That Atrus guy who runs the company just lost his mind and thought adding "Online" to the genre in any form at all would mean instant money.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 12:06:58 PM

That Atrus guy who runs the company just lost his mind and thought adding "Online" to the genre in any form at all would mean instant money.

George Lucas owns Myst?  Rimshot

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 09:13:08 AM

To resurrect this dead topic, it looks like Uru is back:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747605p1.html

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 10:40:42 AM

It's actually been back for some time.  It's in closed beta at the moment.  Again.   tongue

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 10:47:43 AM

I wonder if it's the same beta because all those screenshots are things i saw in the first iteration of their first beta.

The interview is painful to read. I don't think they've learned anything.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 11:37:06 AM

I keep getting invites to their beta.  Wierdos.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 10:43:54 AM

DECEMBER 20th LAUNCH

So let me steal the chronology from an unofficial new user guide created because the documentation was so completely obtuse that many people couldn't figure out how to the interface worked:

* November 2003: Uru: Ages Beyond Myst is released. This is a single-player game which covers what we now call "the Journey". (See "What is the Journey?") This off-line game is also called "Uru Prime". The software includes a client for the on-line Uru.
* November 2003: Players are invited, in small groups, into the "Uru Prologue". This is a free on-line game which includes the Journey Ages, the Neighborhood, and small parts of the City. Prologue is considered by many players to be an open beta-test phase, although it is not officially labelled that.
* December 2003: More players are invited into Prologue. More areas of the City are opened. Dramatic events occur, involving both players and DRC personnel (handled by Cyan actors).
* January 2004: A whole lot more players are invited into Prologue.
* Feb 4, 2004: Cyan announces that Uru Live has been cancelled. Prologue will be shut down (on the 9th) and the unreleased Uru material will be released as single-player games.
* March 2004: Uru: To D'ni is released. This is a single-player expansion to Uru Prime. It includes the City and Neighborhood areas (which had already been seen in Prologue), and a D'ni construct called the Great Zero.
* July 2004: Uru: The Path of the Shell is released. This is a single-player expansion to Uru Prime. It includes two brand-new Ages -- Ahnonay and Er'cana -- and some associated material. (There is also a combined package, called Uru: Complete Chronicles, which includes all the single-player Uru material.)
* August 2004: Cyan releases the Uru server binaries. This allows fans to run their own Uru servers -- no support and no new material, but it keeps interest alive. This shared on-line service is called Untěl Uru.
* October 2004: Myst 4: Revelation. (This game was designed by Ubisoft, not by Cyan.)
* September 2005: Myst 5: End of Ages. This uses a version of the single-player Uru engine.
* September 2005: As soon as Myst 5 is out the door, Cyan ceases operation and lays off all of its staff. Three weeks later, they resurrect themselves and hire many people back. Everybody says, what the heck? (It is now clear that Cyan managed to make a post-last-minute deal with Gametap to revive Uru Live.)
* Feb 14, 2006: Cyan opens D'mala, a "shard" (server) in the shared Untěl Uru network. (Does this make D'mala an officially unofficial Uru service, or the other way around?)
* May 16, 2006: Cyan announces that Uru Live has been resurrected, and will released through Gametap in winter of 2006.
* November 29, 2006: Cyan invites players into the "Uru Live Preview".
* December 12, 2006: Cyan opens the Preview to all Gametap subscribers.
* December 20, 2006: Cyan begins canonical storyline events (DRC personnel appearing in-character in the Preview)

If you check out that official site, it looks like they're simply re-releasing the original game. The trailer available is composed entirely of footage from previous trailers with new narration. How this project exists and how Cyan employees continue to be paid is quite beyond me.

(edit: heavily accented the chronology)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 10:46:45 AM by pxib »

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 11:58:08 AM

How this project exists and how Cyan employees continue to be paid is quite beyond me.

The goodwill of a thousand philanthropic housewives.

I don't have my original game disc anymore (I actually gave it to housewife I knew), but I'm kind of interested in giving it a try again. Puzzles are more game-y than foozle whacking, and despite it's dated engine, it's one of the better looking mmo's to date.
wysiwyg
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 11:19:47 AM

It comes down to values. For the most part, Myst fans are very "smart", and they know exactly what the Myst MMO is and isn't, but all the same they think it's basically the perfect MMO (or rather, that it's clearly an MMO which will be that). Comparably to those who cherish the grind in more "traditional" MMOs, they just enjoy talking to one another, just being there, and really get into the story. Their affinity for the MMO isn't rational, they're in love, and since they take pride in their values (translates to: elitism), they become "rabid" (don't understand and dismiss anyone who isn't also in love). That and the way they deify the company... I could discuss more details, but suffice to say there's no adequate argument against love, lol.

There's no much difference between the new Uru and the old beta, certainly. While in the old there were Cyan's actors and there were fans who took it upon themselves to role-play, the new storyline starts off with a system where players vote on representatives who confer with the actors on a schedule. Watson, a major figure at Cyan, posted at http://drcsite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=403 a while back to broadly discuss the possibility player involvement. Rand Miller, President of Cyan, has said that they plan to allow players to create their own worlds (not with fan tools as previously, but with Cyan's tools as part of the canon). There was a contest for players to create an in-game t-shirt's design. And since Myst V was set after Uru Live and revealed a lot of what was a mystery then, there's definitely a need to "RP" for some aspects of Live's plot to have suspense.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 07:50:52 AM

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 05:43:42 PM

Hehe, wysiwyg, that sounds like Second Life residents circa two years ago. :)
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 07:54:15 PM

Hehe, wysiwyg, that sounds like Second Life residents circa two years ago. :)

...and like Second Life, anything thrown together by "the creators of Myst, one of the world's most popular computer games" can be assured ample press coverage.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 07:40:53 AM

Wouldn't that reference be "The Sims" to "The Sims Online", with all of the attached assumptions for success? :)
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 10:51:43 PM

I beta'd it way back when and liked it right up until the point where I had to do running and jumping. Super Tomb Raider Mario Myst just didn't do it for me. The soundtrack and atmosphere was nice though. Peter Gabriel did the music didin't he?

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 10:59:28 PM

I don't know why, but every time I see a Raydeen post, I get Jolene sung by the Sisters of Mercy stuck in my head with the name changed to Raydeen.  It's okay, though.  I like it. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 11:22:45 PM

I beta'd it way back when and liked it right up until the point where I had to do running and jumping. Super Tomb Raider Mario Myst just didn't do it for me. The soundtrack and atmosphere was nice though. Peter Gabriel did the music didin't he?

He did one song, I think.

Loved the jumping/platformer/cliff hanging stuff. That other mmo's don't have that saddens me to no end. Damn RPG's.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: [NECROPOST][NECROMMOG]Uru: The Trainwreck Beyond Myst  
Jump to: