Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:44:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  The Schild Chronicles '06  |  Topic: The Explanation and Game Recommendation Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Explanation and Game Recommendation Thread  (Read 77702 times)
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 05:23:22 AM

ok a serious suggestion - there was this hacker sim game, which was somewhat decent and noone I know played. Review that :)

Uplink?  Yeah cool game.  The same guys are currently making a nuclear war strategy game that looks very tasty.

My vote is for Ashen Empires (formally Dranisk).  A low-rent UO clone where not only can one bake bread - you can grow the wheat first!
Gong
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 06:12:12 AM

Chronomaster - 1996 PC point-'n-click (like the old Lucasarts games) adventure game, featuring Ron Perlman doing the voiceover for the main character. Sci-fi story written by Roger Zelazny. It's a good one.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 09:17:43 AM

You people.

I am going to suggest a couple that I liked, that I think people should play, and which I also think are obscure.  You'll have to tell me if they are obscure.  I grew up in Alabama, where most contemporary entertainment was obscure.

Blaster Master [NES]
King Arthur's World [SNES]

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 10:17:52 AM

Chronomaster - 1996 PC point-'n-click (like the old Lucasarts games) adventure game, featuring Ron Perlman doing the voiceover for the main character. Sci-fi story written by Roger Zelazny. It's a good one.

I had a boxed copy of this back in The Day(tm). I recall that I could never get out of the first part of the game because it kept freezing and crashing on me. Then again, I also had a shitty computer at that time.

There's a space combat game featuring voiceovers from Bruce Campbell. I think it was released in the '99-'01 timeframe. Ah, here we are: Tachyon: The Fringe, released in 2000.

Uplink is good, but it's not really all that obscure by Schild's standards, I don't think. Fun game though. I'm looking forward to Defcon.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 11, 2006, 10:36:42 AM

Download WinUAE, then play Wizkid and Speedball 2.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 11, 2006, 11:21:11 AM

Kabuki Warriors for the NES.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #41 on: April 11, 2006, 11:50:31 AM

Battlemaster for the Genesis. Took some time to get into for me, but I remember playing it when I was on the road with the band. I also had access to copious amounts of free narcotics and hallucinogens, so ymmv. The music still lurks in my cranial regions.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 11, 2006, 12:17:09 PM

Knights of Legend by Origin (1989) - Very, very deep turn based party combat RPG with an isometric view.

Great game, way ahead of it's time.  You will either love or hate the combat.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 11, 2006, 01:40:18 PM

There's a space combat game featuring voiceovers from Bruce Campbell. I think it was released in the '99-'01 timeframe. Ah, here we are: Tachyon: The Fringe, released in 2000.
Tachyon was a decent little space sim.  I remember the intro had a neat take on the basic tutorial, which I found out later was written by Kevin O'Hara (Q-3P0 of early SWG fame).

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #44 on: April 11, 2006, 03:16:29 PM

Michael Jackson: Smooth Criminal, I think it was for Genisis.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: April 11, 2006, 03:33:58 PM

I take that back. Everyone is happy the game I'm playing didn't get localized. Son of a bitch.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #46 on: April 11, 2006, 06:27:21 PM

Quote from: Sparky
]My vote is for Ashen Empires (formally Dranisk).  A low-rent UO clone where not only can one bake bread - you can grow the wheat first!

I played Dransik back when it was still some kind of weird alpha prototype using the Ultima V tileset.  I did the Ashen Empires free trial last year, and it wasn't awful, but it wasn't really worth paying money for either.  The noob zone was devoid of other players, and pretty much every MMO sucks as a single-player game.

Quote from: Yegolev
Blaster Master [NES]
King Arthur's World [SNES]

Blaster Master was reasonably popular, the second one I never heard of.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: April 11, 2006, 07:08:13 PM

We have a copy of King Arthur's World in a box about 10 feet from me. I've never played it so I may bite on that.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #48 on: April 11, 2006, 07:43:48 PM

You should play and review at least one bizarre hentai game.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: April 11, 2006, 07:56:33 PM

Sigh. While you're probably right

Found the hentai game. Fun shall ensue. I might play it tonight.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #50 on: April 11, 2006, 08:24:36 PM

Gemfire/L'Empereur
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #51 on: April 11, 2006, 10:04:57 PM

Michael Jackson: Smooth Criminal, I think it was for Genisis.

That game was awesome.

I remember something about throwing sparklies at the badguys.

And I think it molested me at some point.

Aside from that, it's all a blur.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #52 on: April 11, 2006, 10:38:16 PM

Here's something that's been bugging me.  First of all, are we talking obscure to the F13 crowd, or obscure to the general public?  Because I get the impression that there's a tremendous gap between the two.  Most of the people here have probably heard of something like Langrisser, but most of the casual gaming public wouldn't have the first clue.  Secondly, there seems to be a focus on RPGs and strategy games.  What about old action games that no one's ever heard of?  That said,, I'd also like to see him review the original Drakkhen or Arcana.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #53 on: April 12, 2006, 01:22:24 AM

Sword of Vermillion for Sega Genesis?

And HEY, I always wanted to play the King Arthur game, but could never find a copy.

Maybe I'll get to play it on the Revolution!  evil

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #54 on: April 12, 2006, 03:04:42 AM

Hey, since you're working your ass off with this (inasmuch that playing and talking about games is working- if it's not fun that makes it work, right?) why isn't it getting any front page play?  There should be giant gaudy announcements all over the front page, SCHILD FREAKS THE FUCK OUT AND VOWS TO REVIEW EVERY GAME or something.

I mean, like I said, I used to only look at the front page before I started posting.  I would currently have no idea you were doing this.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 12, 2006, 05:46:01 AM

I still only look at the front page, although I do enjoy a good dip into these hallowed halls of hatred from time to time.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #56 on: April 12, 2006, 11:25:02 AM

Knights of Legend by Origin (1989) - Very, very deep turn based party combat RPG with an isometric view.

Great game, way ahead of it's time.  You will either love or hate the combat.

I'll second this one.  I think I spent more time waiting for one of the 12 floppies to load on my C64 than I ever did playing it, though.  Sort of like dealing with Daggerfall crashing every 15 minutes.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #57 on: April 12, 2006, 05:39:29 PM

Ookii has been an admin or gm or mod or whatever for Subspace for like 7 years. I've no interest in that shit.

9, and Subspace would be wierd to review, for the gameplay depends on which zone you are in.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 05:41:51 PM by Ookii »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #58 on: April 13, 2006, 12:44:50 AM

Not obscure and not even particularly good, but A Boy and His Blob for the NES was at the very least a pretty unique game.  And maybe throw in some Bass fishing in there for variety.  I seem to recall enjoying Sega Bass Fishing for the Dreamcast, and Super Black Bass for the SNES.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 13, 2006, 10:06:28 AM

Battlezone.  I don't hate you enough to recommend the other game on my mind at the moment.
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: April 13, 2006, 10:07:26 AM

Oh oh, do tell, whitey.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 13, 2006, 10:09:34 AM

Very well.

Bubsy 3D.
schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: April 13, 2006, 10:13:53 AM

You were right. I apologize for calling you whitey, whitey.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 13, 2006, 02:17:07 PM

I'l try recommending a bunch, you've probably played most of em though.

Terranigma [SNES] - Very good RPG which doesn't get mentioned that often
Chaos Engine [AMIGA] - http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our-games/past/chaos-engine.htm excelent game
Genesia [AMIGA] - Remember this game as an AWESOME empire builder titel, dunno how well it has aged
Wings of Fury [AMIGA] - I remember this as a truely incredible side scrolling flight game. You both dog fight other planes and bomb in enemy territory.
River City Ransom [NES] - One of the best NES games ever, RPG/side scroller
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 02:18:58 PM by Sairon »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #64 on: April 13, 2006, 04:51:28 PM

RCR1 wasn't a big hit when it came out, but it's acquired such a cult-following since then that I can't call it "obscure" with a straight face.  But shit, Schild, do it anyway.  Side-scrolling action/RPG = WIN.  Castlevania II was the best of them all.

schild
Administrator

Reply #65 on: April 13, 2006, 04:56:57 PM

Castlevania 2 was the best of them all. Though Cave Story ranks up there.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 13, 2006, 08:10:45 PM

Carnage Heart maybe?  It's unique, and pretty fun if you have a couple buddies that want to play too.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #67 on: April 13, 2006, 09:47:26 PM

RI35 HVFY
E45V XERT

That's the password for Castlevania II that will set you up to go kick Dracula's ass and win the game.  It's been bouncing around inside my head for the last 17 years.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #68 on: April 13, 2006, 10:37:55 PM

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 13, 2006, 11:41:24 PM

Brain Lord.  It's Zelda with pretty hard puzzles and familiars.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  The Schild Chronicles '06  |  Topic: The Explanation and Game Recommendation Thread  
Jump to: