Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:24:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  The Schild Chronicles '06  |  Topic: The Explanation and Game Recommendation Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Explanation and Game Recommendation Thread  (Read 77691 times)
schild
Administrator

on: April 10, 2006, 09:52:32 PM

April is notoriously the slowest month in gaming. Slower than January, why? Because it's the month before E3. What's a gamer to do?

I know what I'm going to do. Play through two different games every day (except sunday) and document them. But there are rules.

1. Must have Screenshots.
2. Must be at least a little obscure. I'm not going to play anything like Madden or Final Fantasy.
3. Must play at LEAST 2 A DAY. That's just not going to work.
4. Must spend at least 1 hour playing each game, no matter how much my brain (and eyes) want me to stop.

But there are things you should know as well:

1. Posts will contain spoilers. Sorry, no avoiding it. Some of them will be DRASTIC.
2. I'm the only one that can make threads in forum. Too bad, so sad. I can't figure out how to set that permission, instead, if you make a thread in this forum I'm just going to move it to the den. Right? Right.
3. There will be one chronicle for each day leading up to E3 starting with April 10th.
4. You are free to make suggestions for games in this thread, they can be for the following sytems: NES, SNES, TG16, SegaCD, Jaguar, PSX, PS2, Xbox, 360, Genesis, 32X, N64, PSP, GBA, GB/GBC, DS, NGage, Gamecube, and PC.
5. You can not complain about the games I'm choosing to play. I'd like to be at least a LITTLE entertained so I'm not going to be playing Horizons and Second Life back to back. Hell, I won't be playing them at all, deal with it.

That should just about cover it. Enjoy my insanity.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 09:56:08 PM

April is notoriously the slowest month in gaming. Slower than January, why? Because it's the month before E3. What's a gamer to do?

Get some sun and exercise before hibernating for the summer?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 09:56:59 PM

Get some sun and exercise before hibernating for the summer?
I'm sitting by a window. In a month the sun will burn through my skin. By the time you see me at E3 you'll be able to call me Jamal.
Yoru

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 09:58:22 PM

That's only one of two points.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 10:53:22 PM

One of those games MUST be the last game you'll ever desire.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 10:56:12 PM

You're a real bastard.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 11:00:42 PM

I think rule #2 may get you off the hook on that one.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 11:12:41 PM

Suggestion:

Shadowrun (Genesis) - Was talking about this one in the cyberpunk thread.  Give it a go and tell me it's not ludicrously deep for a console RPG, particularly of that era.  The combat is simplistic (cycle through targets with one button, shoot with another button, occasionally toss a spell or hand grenade) but at least it's not completely abstract ala Final Fantasy.  There are no separate battle screens, badguys can accidentally shoot each other in the back if they get in the way, and you have to be careful how you toss your grenades.  When you're sneaking around a building, you actually have to sneak, paying attention to which way the security cameras are facing and things like that.

There's a SHITLOAD of interesting stuff to buy.  Armor, guns, laser scopes, silencers, cyberware, lockpicking tools, cyberdecks, software, and so forth.  Most of the best shit is illegal, harder to find, and will draw the ire of the cops if they see you with it.  Unfortunately, beyond a certain point you become so badass that the cops don't matter.  On the bright side, eventually they realize this and will occasionally run for their lives when they realize who they're fucking with.  Oh, and the Matrix hacking is goddamn brilliant in this game.  You can easily spend hours just roaming around the datafiles of different companies, stealing information to sell and reading the occasional report or memo.  And pimping out your cyberdeck with upgrades and software is like crack.

Once you finish the noob zone and are tossed out into the world, you could easily ignore the main plot for ages and just run around doing randomly-generated missions, hiring runners, gaining contacts, making money, and becoming leet if you wanted.  I've very rarely seen an RPG this deep and open-ended on a console.

Ok, I'm done slobbering now.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 11:13:49 PM

Thing is I've already played it, it's not obscure AT ALL and I'm not giving you a virtual reacharound. It's a good game, you don't need reassurance.
Yoru

Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 11:19:55 PM

I suggest The Watchmaker (2001, adventure game) and Tread Marks (2000, Tank action game). Both for PC.

The latter one is actually worth playing, too.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 11:21:31 PM

Arcanum? Anachronox? Anything with the name Kohan in it? That PS game with VOs by Bruce Willis?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 11:23:36 PM

Yoru's are obscure. I'd never heard of either.

Strazos, yours are not so obscure. I do believe the Bruce Willis game was named Vendetta. if I can find a copy in a local store, THAT ONE might be worth suffering through.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 11:26:52 PM

Pick a game that was your favorite game at some point but that you haven't played in five years or more.  Like one of the old Mario games.  I don't think I've played SMB3 in something like ten years, but it's still one of the best platformers of all time.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 11:31:26 PM

Hmm, seems my train of thought was more in line with "under-rated."

Also, IMDB says the Willis game is Apocalypse. I owned it at one point, and it was somewhat fun, with an oddball control scheme.

Unfortunately, I can't refer to my own game collection at the moment, as it's still in boxes from when I moved in Feb.

I'm in no rush to fully unpack.

EDIT: Also, you playing one of those Borderbund (or whatever) Carmen Sandiego games would be amusing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 11:34:13 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 11:37:05 PM

Feh, I was firmly in the SNES camp back then, and bought my Genesis secondhand well into the PS1 era.  Anything Sega besides Sonic the Hedgehog is obscure to me.  Also, I expect you to turn your nose up at any RPG that doesn't have an active community of teenage girls writing buttsecks fanfics about the protagonist.

How about EVO: The Search for Eden on SNES?

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 11:55:51 PM

Crystalis for the NES

Maybe not very obscure, but it'd be interesting to see what games were like back when they weren't really made to be beatable by just about anyone.  I still haven't beaten it without my trust Game Genie.

You can emulate it easily enough, but I have a hard copy you can borrow.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 12:03:41 AM

Feh, I was firmly in the SNES camp back then, and bought my Genesis secondhand well into the PS1 era.  Anything Sega besides Sonic the Hedgehog is obscure to me.  Also, I expect you to turn your nose up at any RPG that doesn't have an active community of teenage girls writing buttsecks fanfics about the protagonist.

How about EVO: The Search for Eden on SNES?

We're one, but we're not the same.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 12:15:06 AM

Doesn't anyone else want to see him play Final Fantasy X2?  Am I the only one?  I know it's not obscure, but it's dreadful.  My other suggestion is Sorceror's Kingdom for Genesis.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 12:34:00 AM

Doesn't anyone else want to see him play Final Fantasy X2?  Am I the only one?  I know it's not obscure, but it's dreadful.

The point of this isn't to make him play the worst games we can possibly imagine until he explodes in a shower of bile and vitriol on the front page.  He's not Haemish.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 12:39:33 AM

I reccomend Phantasy Star.  Break out the graphing paper!
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 12:41:40 AM

SubSpace
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubSpace_%28computer_game%29

The first commercial MMOG, and it just turned 10 years old.
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 12:42:55 AM

Ookii has been an admin or gm or mod or whatever for Subspace for like 7 years. I've no interest in that shit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 12:43:38 AM

Oh, also, part of the point was to have at least half the games be games I think people should play. Like the ones I played today. Despite the gripes, they're both wonderful little gems that I'm glad I didn't miss.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 12:53:39 AM

Sidescrolling RPG/platformer with incomprehensible Engrish storyline = motherfucking win.  And it's fun.

schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 12:59:19 AM

Did you just call EVO obscure? I think we have a cartridge or two of that in the house here. Maybe. I'd just load up the ROM anyway (screenshots are easy). If I do pick 1st, 2nd, or 2.5 gen (Sega CD, etc) stuff, I will be doing video me thinks. I may even add a voiceover track.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 01:12:47 AM

Fuck yes it's obscure, by normal human standards.  Go grab ten average slobs off the street who had SNES back in the day and they'll all know Contra 3, but you'll be lucky to find one or two who played EVO.  Granted, nothing is obscure here on the website of the guy who posts pictures of himself playing up to level 276 of Tetris, but those are the breaks.

Also, you need to do one or two older games, and this one has character.  You could find some shitty top-scrolling shooter that only six people outside of Japan have ever heard of, but who gives a shit?

EDIT:  Failing that, how about River City Ransom 2 for SNES?  I found a ROM of it a couple years ago and crapped my pants with glee before realizing it was all in Japanese.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 01:24:16 AM by WindupAtheist »

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 01:26:05 AM

I agree, also, Act Raiser.  If you don't review EVO or AR I will bombard your inbox with reviews of FF3 at the rate of one per day.
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 01:43:54 AM

Maybe I'll do Rampart. Or Treasures of Rudra. I'm tempted to pick a game that's like 10-15 years old, never released here that has a fan made patch out there. After which the translated rom would magically appear on Yousendit.

Can't do Actraiser. Too much love for it. Gotta give it another 5 years in the nostalgia incubator before I break that out again.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 01:52:12 AM

Just do RCR2.  The fact that you can't understand WTF anyone is saying will just make it more fun, at least for the audience.  When I played it I watched some guy gabble at me in Japanese, then ran outside and beat the shit out of random women in the mall until I got bored, realized I didn't know where to go, and gave up.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 01:54:48 AM

Review Narc for the Xbox. It's the best game EVER. Not kidding, it's so bad it's fun. Try to get ahold of the preview build, it's even buggier than the full version. MUCHO FUN. PROMISE.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 01:56:27 AM

The point of this isn't to make him play the worst games we can possibly imagine until he explodes in a shower of bile and vitriol on the front page.  He's not Haemish.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 02:01:12 AM

But IT'S FUN! You get to die five times on the first level 'cause the controls suck ass. Play Narc! Play Narc! Schild for Narc!

Who's with me?

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 02:07:19 AM

I've picked out the games for Day 2. It's not Narc or RCR2. One of the games is relatively recent and completely underrated and the other is 10 years old, Super Nintendo, and not available in America though there is a fully translated english ROM floating around. I should have video from the second one and most people will wish they knew it existed before now.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 03:17:36 AM

You'd review Blackthorne if you were a real man.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 03:47:12 AM

ok a serious suggestion - there was this hacker sim game, which was somewhat decent and noone I know played. Review that :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  The Schild Chronicles '06  |  Topic: The Explanation and Game Recommendation Thread  
Jump to: