Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:17:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Acclaim to localize games and be rebuilt? Color me stupid. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acclaim to localize games and be rebuilt? Color me stupid.  (Read 3933 times)
schild
Administrator

on: April 10, 2006, 01:55:23 PM

Acclaim readies martial arts MMO
9Dragons headed to North America; rebuilt publisher plans to release Korean online RPG for the PC later this year.
When Howard Marks announced that he had acquired the Acclaim Games name to get back into the gaming business late last year, it was revealed that the bulk of Acclaim's new titles would be imported games from the Asian market. One game in particular caught Marks' eye--the martial arts-centric 9Dragons, developed by Indy21.

American gamers looking to do some of their own kung-fu fighting online will now get their chance. Acclaim is bringing the PC massively multiplayer online role-playing game 9Dragons to the North American market. The game is currently planned for release later this year.

9Dragons will take place during the Ming Dynasty in China, but, in a Jade Empire-like twist, will be mixed with fantasy elements. Martial arts will be at the core of the gameplay, and several styles will be represented. More details are available at the game's official Web site.

This is the second title announced by the resurgent Acclaim. BOTS, an MMOG featuring robots with interchangeable parts, is currently in closed beta testing.

9Dragons is trash, but that's not the point. Acclaim is being rebuilt as an importer/localizer? If only they had the knowhow and savvy to carry the torch that was once carried by Working Designs. Won't happen though.

Edit: One has to wonder why they think trashy MMORPGs are worth localizing when there's an entire console market ripe for the picking.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 02:55:11 PM

I thought your stance on working designs was: While I think they were truly great people who did great things for my gaming 99% of the console market doesn't give a fuck about some 5 year old JRPG.

Or was that everyone but you?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 02:59:40 PM

Oh no, I thought that also. I'm not applauding the actual games Working Designs brought over, but they were fighting the good fight against Impossible Odds. The New Acclaim is just being lazy and stupid when there's an obvious gap in the market that will now be filled by someone else.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 03:05:59 PM

I think I betaed 9Dragons once. It sucked ass. It was like a really bad version of DAoC, with less interesting PVE and some vague promise of PVP in a future where I actually gave enough of a shit about it to level a billion times.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 11:20:35 AM

By the sound of it is Working Designs dead? Damn, I'll miss them.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:34:30 PM

Working Designs died a few months ago. They buckled under the pressure of SCEA not letting them release half the games they wanted to bring out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Acclaim to localize games and be rebuilt? Color me stupid.  
Jump to: