Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Goodbye Gipper 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodbye Gipper  (Read 5873 times)
personman
Terracotta Army

on: June 05, 2004, 02:51:16 PM

Just announced, Reagan died today.

Truly the end of an era.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 03:36:57 PM

Politics aside, I'm glad he's no longer suffering from a really shitty disease.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 04:12:56 PM

Greatest President of the 20th century.  America lost a hero today.

Bruce
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 04:19:56 PM

I don't even want to imagine the kind of sadness his family has been going through for the past 10 years.  I'm sad for them, but glad that they don't have to go through this any more.

As for President Reagan, I'm not sad.  He was from all accounts an extremely good hearted man and I'm sure he's gone on to his reward.  God bless him, we're a better country for him having been here.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 04:53:31 PM

Found a good writeup on his achievement and whatnot on the Wikipedia.   I don't particularly believe in Reganomics, judging by what it did to the national debt.    However, I can't say I've found him to be a bad man in himself.

But that was then, this is now.   We've heard reports that his health was spiraling downward for quite some time, and I was thinking we'd be hearing he was shuffling off this mortal coil some time soon.   Still, at 93 years old he's going on record as the longest living ex-President ever.   Way to go, gipper.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 05:17:24 PM

Quote from: SirBruce
Greatest President of the 20th century.  
Bruce

Incorrect!

But a good man.  Sorry to see him go.  Alzheimers is a terrible disease.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 05:38:02 PM

Quote from: SirBruce
Greatest President of the 20th century.  America lost a hero today.

Bruce

I have to disagre with this. However, I am glad he is no longer suffering. He wasn't such a bad guy.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 05:43:31 PM

Sad to see him go, but good for him, the suffering isn't worth it.

As for Bruce, ignore him when he says stupid shit like that, kkthxbye.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 07:30:54 PM

Hope he wasn't suffering too long.  Otherwise I'm neutral on it.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 07:51:43 PM

My great grandma had alzheimers, she spent my early years beliving I was her son until she died. I feel sadness for Reagans family and thoose that were close to him.

May god be with him, and thoose who cared for him.

Sidenote: Politics, let's just leave them aside.

Wiiiiii!
heck
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 10:56:08 AM

An evil, evil man.  How ironic that the guy who closes down mental institutions, contributing phenominally to the growth of the homeless population, dies of a mental disease.  How sweetly ironic.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 11:53:51 AM

Good or Bad... It means a SHITLOAD of work for us in the media.

If I never see another picture of Regan, it will be fine with me.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 12:02:50 PM

RIP

Quote from: Rodent
Sidenote: Politics, let's just leave them aside.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004, 06:12:41 PM

Quote from: heck
An evil, evil man.  How ironic that the guy who closes down mental institutions, contributing phenominally to the growth of the homeless population, dies of a mental disease.  How sweetly ironic.

They aren't homeless... they're "campers"

I'm going to think of Ron the next time my daughter has ketchup with her school lunch and they consider it a vegetable.

It's sad to see anyone die and I do feel badly for his family and loved ones.... but for someone that is old enough to remember life during the "Reagan era", I can't say that I was much of a fan.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 06:52:11 PM

It is telling that politics and the Democratic party both seem to observe a "pre-Reagan" and "post-Reagan" era. The Democrats had to adjust for the movement of the "Reagan Democrats" and abandon the old liberalism in favor of a more centrist position. In addition, Reagan brought the GOP from the brink of irrelevance to a major force in American politics. IMO he is the greatest President of the past 50 years....FDR being awfully hard to top.

I have nothing but sympathy for his family, and respect and admiration for his legacy.

Of course, it was probably too much to expect that everyone on this forum show a modicum of respect and keep the partisan bullshit out of the equation in a RIP thread. Then again, I should have known better....we didn't get it for Pat Tillman, and expecting it for Reagan was just unbridled optimism on my part.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
Romp
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 06, 2004, 07:53:26 PM

so saying he was the best president in the last 50 years isnt partisan but disagreeing with that statement is?
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #16 on: June 06, 2004, 08:11:52 PM

Quote from: Romp
so saying he was the best president in the last 50 years isnt partisan but disagreeing with that statement is?

Generally, when someone dies, it's proper to wait until after the burial before you start pissing on their grave.

It's that whole "there's a time and a place" thing. In a RIP thread, if you can't say anything positive, then STFU and have some respect for the dead. It's not as if you can't start a new thread to bash him, or God forbid, show some fucking class and give it a few days.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
Romp
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 06, 2004, 08:35:14 PM

I havent said anything about him good or bad just think if you dont want to start a political debate then dont say anything about his politics at all, and if you do start sayin what a great president he was then expect people who disagree with you to reply...
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #18 on: June 06, 2004, 10:09:01 PM

Quote from: Romp
I havent said anything about him good or bad just think if you dont want to start a political debate then dont say anything about his politics at all, and if you do start sayin what a great president he was then expect people who disagree with you to reply...

If that's your policy, I'm just glad you aren't the one giving his eulogy.

I've always learned that it's impolite to speak ill of the dead...and that when memorializing someone (as we are doing here) that you praise their accomplishments. As I said, if folks want to start another thread to express the other side, they should feel free to do so....to do it in a RIP thread is just disrespectful.

As I said, my opinion is that they should show some class for a few days. The guy should be buried by this time next week, at which point it is once again open season. Apparently, I'm asking too much with that...or even asking folks to take it to another thread.

That's the last I have to say on the matter, because I think that the subject of this thread deserves not to have it derailed with political dickwaving and our mini-debate on forum ettiquette.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #19 on: June 06, 2004, 10:20:59 PM

Quote from: Dark Vengence
In addition, Reagan brought the GOP from the brink of irrelevance to a major force in American politics.

Bleh, you say that like it's a good thing.   "Crap, the American public is realizing we suck.  Quick, put a movie star on our ticket to revive interest from people who don't know any better!"  But then, you seem to think that the economic disasters under their administration largely aren't their fault to begin with, so I guess I can see where your perspective comes from.   But nevermind me, I'm a horribly misinformed gnome of a man, correct?

In any case, water under the bridge.    As I said, that was then, this is now.  Whatever political disagreements I may have had with Regan in the past, I cannot say I would have wished a wasting mental illness on him.   When push comes to shove, a senile old man is every bit is innocent as a newborn babe.   Sorry Gipper, you had a good run, that's just the way it goes.   I've every indication to end up there given the passage of time.    President, peasant, they're all dirt in the end.

Hah, look at me play the grim reaper over here.  Nevermind the prattle of a gaming hermit with too much time on his hands.

Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #20 on: June 06, 2004, 11:39:41 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
Bleh, you say that like it's a good thing.   "Crap, the American public is realizing we suck.  Quick, put a movie star on our ticket to revive interest from people who don't know any better!"  But then, you seem to think that the economic disasters under their administration largely aren't their fault to begin with, so I guess I can see where your perspective comes from.   But nevermind me, I'm a horribly misinformed gnome of a man, correct?

I'm granting you a free pass on this one because you are a blabbering, ignorant fuckwit when it comes to politics, and the above paragraph alone illustrates it.

Bring the noise.
Cheers.............
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 12:11:21 AM

I give my regards to his family. With his condition the last years he certainly is in a better place now.

I don't think he was your best president evah. Not on this day and in this thread, though. Honor the dead, folks. There are places where discussions about politics are just unfit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: June 07, 2004, 12:15:51 AM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
I'm granting you a free pass on this one because you are a blabbering, ignorant fuckwit when it comes to politics, and the above paragraph alone illustrates it.

Quote from: Dark Vengeance just four posts up
That's the last I have to say on the matter, because I think that the subject of this thread deserves not to have it derailed with political dickwaving and our mini-debate on forum ettiquette.

Follow your own advice, jackass.

EDIT: Simple math is hard without a calculator.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #23 on: June 07, 2004, 12:31:47 AM

Quote from: schild
Follow your own advice, jackass.

geldon's allegation that Reagan's political career was simply a GOP move to "put a movie star on our ticket to revive interest from people who don't know any better" warranted a response of some sort, especially given that he had quoted me directly.

Sorry if I offended your tender sensibilities, el capitan.

Bring the noise.
Cheers............
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: June 07, 2004, 12:36:43 AM

It's not about my tender sensibilities, it's about you trolling around waiting to stir up the muck. Stop being a complete asshat and maybe people won't assault everything you say. For a long while all you've done is pick at minutae and semantics and it's getting on peoples nerves.

When someone mentions a president, even if it's his death, people will talk about his political career. Reagan rode no white horse. Dying doesn't make him a fucking hero and it doesn't mean we're going to erect a statue here for him.

That may be too much for you, so I'll keep it simple; stop being a dipshit.

And take the ellipses off your signature. It's pompous as fuck and makes you look more like a jackass. Jackass.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #25 on: June 07, 2004, 12:46:22 AM

Okay, I'll bite. Fuck it.

Quick, put a movie star on our ticket to revive interest from people who don't know any better!"

Hmm...You do know that Reagan was in politics for like 20 years before he entered the Whitehouse, right? He was as well known as a politician as he was an actor by that time. Even towards the end of his acting career, about the only thing he was doing was "acting" as president of the Screen Actor's Guild (and as an actor myself, I'll tell you: that job is 0% acting, and 100% politics). He was as well equipped as one could be for the job. It's not like the Republicans pulled this idea out of their asses and just threw him out there.

And just to mention: In some of the acting workshops I've been to, it wasn't out of the ordinary to see a politcian or some business woman taking the same classes I was...Anyone involved in public speaking. It's a good craft to learn for other jobs, and Reagan was a better "politician" than most because of it.

But then, you seem to think that the economic disasters under their administration largely aren't their fault to begin with, so I guess I can see where your perspective comes from.

I don't know which era or economic disasters you're referring to, but since this supposed to be about Reagan, you'd be best served by reading up a little on Jimmy Carter.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #26 on: June 07, 2004, 01:04:45 AM

Quote from: schild
It's not about my tender sensibilities, it's about you trolling around waiting to stir up the muck.*snip*

I wouldn't typically consider the guy who basically says "hey guys can we please not trash Reagan in his own RIP thread" to be trolling. That's just me though.

And I'll leave my sig as it is, thanks.

As for the rest, if you'd like to discuss via PM, or IRC, please do so. I'll even take the first step.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #27 on: June 07, 2004, 06:43:49 AM

I come to work this morning, and this is the first thread I see. Thanks for pissing in my Cheerios this morning, fuckers. Try and maintain SOME class no matter which side of the fence you fall on.

Godspeed to Ronny, and a prayer goes out to his family.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 07, 2004, 06:48:32 AM

Great man and great President, as well as the only Republican I would have voted for.

I can't imagine anything worse than not having my mind and knowing that my family will have to remember me that way.  May he rest in peace and wishes of sympathy for his family and friends.

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 07, 2004, 07:25:22 AM

*tips a 40 to the Gipper*  And fuck whoever turned this political.  Fuck them right in their stupid asses.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 07, 2004, 07:39:52 AM

Might have to change the custom here from a 40 to some Jelly Beans, heh.  Reminds me, I could go for some good jelly bellies right now.  I think I will buy Reagan commemerative jelly beans for the old guy.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 07, 2004, 08:50:58 AM

On the plus side, I might be getting this Friday off.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #32 on: June 07, 2004, 09:16:26 AM

RIP Mr. Reagan

You were the first president I liked as a kid, after Carter made a mockery of the Democratic party. Out of respect, I won't turn this into a political thread discussing his work. I will say that I do not agree that he was the best President of the 20th century, but he sure as hell did something right to have given the Republican's an electable candidate after the sheer fuckupery of Nixon's bunch almost destroyed the GOP singlehandedly.

He did some things right, and he did some things wrong, and whatever he did, it was what he believed in.

For a politician, that's probably about the best you can hope someone will say about you when you're gone.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #33 on: June 07, 2004, 09:18:50 AM

Quote from: daveNYC
On the plus side, I might be getting this Friday off.

The wife is going to be pissed. It's her regularly scheduled AWS day.

Edit: Haemish for the win! Well said.

-Rasix
Flashman
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 07, 2004, 10:41:57 AM

RIP

One of the most optimistic presidents we've had. Perhaps his greatest achievements were to shore up this country's flagging spirit in the early 1980's and to be steadfast in the face of the Soviets. When he called it "an evil empire" and said the Soviet Union was condemned to the ash heap of history, it gave heart to a lot of people living behind the Iron Curtain.

I thought this is a great phrase from Andrew Sullivan:

"He marshaled conservatism without calling forth the dark seam of religious or social intolerance. In his personal life, he was often distant and cold. But his real peers were ordinary Americans, whose fears he assuaged and whose hope he rekindled. He took responsibility seriously but wore it so lightly."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Goodbye Gipper  
Jump to: