Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:40:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: SB.EXEs from HEEEELLLLLLL!!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SB.EXEs from HEEEELLLLLLL!!!  (Read 5778 times)
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

on: March 21, 2006, 11:01:35 AM

I played a bit of SB when it first came out and to tell the truth, at that time, pre-expansion sets, etc. etc. I was never one of those who could complain of constant and repetitive SB.EXEing.  Oh, things would lag up in the big battles and so on and I'm not saying it NEVER happened, but it wasn't a big deal at least for me.

Now, with the free-for-all SB winback in progress, I cranked up the ol' Shadowbane client and it seemed to find the requisite updates.  (I couldn't remember my old acct. name or password but I forged on with a new one which Ubisoft made very easy)  I created a character with no problem and entered the world... for all of about 3 minutes this first time until LO AND BEHOLD...

SB.EXE mutha fucka!!!!!1

Tried again and SB.EXEd out in seconds flat.  Rebooted and tried one more time; same, in seconds.

One, has anyone here had this problem with their original installation and Two, would I be wise to perhaps uninstall and reinstall from scratch (thx Lum/MMG4Dummies!) or Three am I an idiot for even keeping hope alive that SB could still be a fun game to play if only I could.  /sad panda

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 11:09:25 AM

It's funny - I'm also in the "never had that problem on release" crowd.  Of course, I installed this weekend from my original CD, patched fine, and got a lovely SB.exe during character creation.  I fought through it and played for a few hours, then the nostalgia wore off.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 11:55:27 AM

/point

/laugh
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 12:38:35 PM

Let's just pretend I linked a picture of Nelson Muntz.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sachant
Developers

Wolfpack

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 12:47:46 PM

Make sure your drivers are all up to date.  Also, what video card are you using?  Those that use Radeon tend to have more issues than those that use Nvidea.

Sachant
Bartle Test Killer  73% , Socializer  60%, Explorer  60%, Achiever  6%
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 12:53:22 PM

Does that explain:

ATI

Nvidia

I have never played WoW.
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 03:14:27 PM

Make sure your drivers are all up to date.  Also, what video card are you using?  Those that use Radeon tend to have more issues than those that use Nvidea.

Thank you, Sachant.  Not related to this but I did just recently, last month or so, update them but I can check again.  It's the same card I've been using for years and with SB the first time; an older 128MB Nvid Ti4200.

Graphics related, the one thing I had to change from the default settings when running SB was that my new monitor is a 19" widescreen so I input custom display settings to match what I'm getting with it on my Ti4200 card.  In fact, the card does not support this monitor's "native resolution" of something like 1440 x 864 (??) and the best I can get is 1280 x 768; and those are the numbers I input to the SB game video settings.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 07:58:24 AM

The only SB.exe I've had this time has been when I somehow got exploit leveled for about five minutes. At release, I got them all the fucking time.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 10:28:23 AM

We know.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 12:32:47 PM

I've been playing on a laptop that has a native 1280x800 resolution, and an ATI Radeon X300 Mobility, 128 MB of RAM.

I have yet to see a single SB.EXE error.  Back during beta, on a different machine, yeah, there were issues.

As a side note, I installed from the installer I got from Fileplanet, not any CD.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 03:20:26 PM

No SB.EXEs for me...but then, I never encountered them during my brief dabbling with the game at release.

Unfortunately the rest of the game seems exactly the same as it did way back when, except with a few more racial choices.

Just not lovin' it much.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 08:23:45 PM

No SB.EXEs for me...but then, I never encountered them during my brief dabbling with the game at release.

Unfortunately the rest of the game seems exactly the same as it did way back when, except with a few more racial choices.

Just not lovin' it much.

More classes too, i think.  I don't recall the nightstalker or necromancer from before.

But yeah, the only reason I'm still playing is some RL friends poked their noses in and are hanging out there... cause, like, it's free.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 01:05:37 PM

I installed from Fileplanet's installers on both my Powerbook and my home PC. Both have run without client problems so far. The Powerbook has an ATi Mobility card with 128 MB of VRAM. The home PC is an nVidia 6800 GT with 256 MB of VRAM. I'm sure that doesn't help you much, but perhaps there is some other issue going on with the client itself or a corrupt file. Also, I have the game installed in the main boot volume of the Powerbook and on a second hard drive on the home PC, so it appears to run fine from any installation location, but I have encountered issues with other MMOG clients in the past that wouldn't like to run or even install in some cases on any drive, but C. Also, do you have any other memory resident programs running at the same time that may be causing a conflict?

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 04:22:25 PM

Well it looks like I solved my problem and Sachant's innocent suggestion to make sure I had the latest Nvidia drivers was the ticket.  Even though it was less than a month between the last time they were updated.

Seems like the whole problem was centered around using the 'custom' display settings feature in SB to emulate a 1.6/1.66667 'widescreen' display when my card and drivers would not support the flat panels 'native resolution' of 1440 x 900 in the first place.  I could get SB to run only if I chose from the standard 1.3 aspect settings like 1024 x 768.

Then on a whim I finally decided to re-check the Nvidia site and d/l'd the 84.21 set of drivers (new 3/17) and lo and behold I now found 1440 x 900 among the display rates available to me in the Windows display panel.  Now with the native resolution in hand I entered the custom settings of 1440 x 900 and Shadowbane is humming right along with no more SB.EXEs.  And I'm a happy camper of an Irekei Rogue dual-dagger-wielding my way through the land of ice and snow 4tw.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: SB.EXEs from HEEEELLLLLLL!!!  
Jump to: