Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Brand new server online (new ruleset) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brand new server online (new ruleset)  (Read 9238 times)
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

on: March 21, 2006, 06:02:13 AM

The Shadowbane Team is proud to announce that we will bring a new world online today at 2pm EST named after the eldest of the True Goddesses.

Braialla will exist as a "clean" server: we will not allow any migration to it. Braialla will use the Vorringia mapset (the same used on Wrath and similiar to Vindication's with the exception that it will not contain the Factionholds). Braialla will follow the same guidelines and principles as the other North American and European production servers when pertaining to Mine and Siege Windows of Opportunity.

With that said, some existing server rules will seem very new on Braialla, especially to those who reside on Mourning. Braialla will be one of the first servers to fully experience the huge chessboard Throne of Oblivion added to the political and endgame in Shadowbane. Braialla, therefore, has a maximum amount of cities that can exist, and a hard limit to the number of guilds that can be a part of a Nation. Additionally, the server will be brand new: there will be no "Feature Character" gear or huge stockpiles of pre-crafting items.

Understandably, some members of the community are worried that a new server may impact other server populations. The Shadowbane Team will be keeping a watchful eye on this and will take appropriate actions if necessary. Plans involving server migrations, consolidations, and even other new servers, are being evaluated.

No lore restriction, I think I will give this a try ...  :-D

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 08:21:56 AM

So how is the best way to go about afk leveling?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 08:22:25 AM

Get a guild who will powerlevel your character with an AOE character while you go AFK.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:30:48 AM

You know if people are even semi-serious about playing this would be an opportunity to hop on a sever in the early days, which is by FAR the best time to be playing SB when things are in a constant state of flux.

Once you get some heavy established guild conglomerates, things stagnate and the fun just leaks away.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:38:44 AM

I've already stopped playing... well, if you can call thinking about hitting a spider playing.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 10:30:14 AM

So how is the best way to go about afk leveling?

Get someone with ACtool, AOE's, and can survive or stay out of aggro.  As soon as you have that, you can AFK macro.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 11:56:33 AM

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 06:36:59 AM

Fired up a toon on this sever last night, played about and hour or so, and another 45 mins this morning an got to lvl 12.

As of 730am this morning, 3 cities had been founded already on this brand spanking new server.

Now to see if I can find a guild of non idiots who dont mind a casual player.

What can I say, it's free and I like the character building. Ganking to come later.

Xilren
PS Of course, being free mean the idiot name ratio is way way way higher than normal.

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 10:30:07 AM

Why people give such a shit about character names in a VIDEO GAME is still way beyond me.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 10:54:34 AM

Maybe some people don't approach is only as a game, but as a roleplaying experience?

Taste MyNutsack can be a bit of a speedbump to some people's immersion.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 02:06:35 PM

Why people give such a shit about character names in a VIDEO GAME is still way beyond me.

Actually, I think I grouped with "Sucha Shit" last night...
He fit right in with Rapeme, Exploiter Bot and of course Spitney Beers.

Xilren

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 02:56:29 PM

Xilren

I was grouped with a few RL friends in the low single digits, and the leader invited 'Buffme Tooplz', or something like that.  I was debating, and finally decided I wouldn't buff him.  He was a bit high level for the area, and mostly stood there for about 5 mins, doing nothing.  Then he left the group.

I still wonder if he left because I didn't buff him.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
WayAbvPar

Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 03:08:16 PM

Xilren

Thanks for that. You effectively cured me of wanting to play SB again.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 03:09:56 PM

Xilren

It isn't like a few minutes of playing it wouldn't have cured you of that too.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 12:13:50 AM

That is actually one of the big draws of this game for me.

You can kill players like "a$$raperoxorz".

I love it.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 07:17:02 AM

If anyone is playing on Mourning let me know. I may have a Guild to join as well, some old friends from back in the day...When we were the Morloch Horde...Mino Lore Horde. No longer that I believe, but met some cool peeps. Either way, might be able to help powerlevel or at least gank people.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Xilren's Twin

Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 07:19:20 AM

That is actually one of the big draws of this game for me.

You can kill players like "a$$raperoxorz".

I love it.

Yeah, I plan to treat SB as a bizzare sort of stress relief by going hunting for idiot players.  Who knows, I may even specialize in bot killing.  Stealth + track + stupid name = targets of opportunity.

Just hit 21 this morning so off to the main land for me.

Xilren

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 01:00:31 PM

The new server sounds fun. I like the idea of the hard limit to cities and nations. It reminds me of Lineage 2 only not as bitchy as L2. L2 only allowed for something like 4 or 5 castles and only one guild could hold a castle at a time. That's a ridiculous small amount of castles, but definitely makes holding it a meaningful experience and something that is difficult to do. Perhaps with a hard limit on cities, there will be more large scale battles and city destruction and with the limit on the nation size, perhaps we won't see a few huge nations rolling over everyone else. Then again, players could always strike up nation alliances out-of-game, but I hope that doesn't happen, it sounds like a fun ruleset. We shall see...

On another note, I remembered something about SB after rolling up a character... gold farming. I don't know how Haemish managed to forget to remind me about that joys of this activity in the elder game, but as I was whacking mindlessly at spiders and wolves and such, I remembered this gameplay aspect. In any case, with what little time I have, I'll keep tinkering with it and see what becomes of it.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Xilren's Twin

Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 10:00:35 PM

On another note, I remembered something about SB after rolling up a character... gold farming. I don't know how Haemish managed to forget to remind me about that joys of this activity in the elder game, but as I was whacking mindlessly at spiders and wolves and such, I remembered this gameplay aspect. In any case, with what little time I have, I'll keep tinkering with it and see what becomes of it.

Gold farming for taxes, i remember it well. 

Had a nice run tonight that brought back a lot of memories.  On the mainland now I joined several pickup groups over the course of two hours, and at least once per group we got rolled by R4's and R5s while the group was all R2's and 3s.  Some times it was just a lone R5 jumping folks as soon as they were sitting after a battle.   Was still leveling but losing all your gold and loot when getting killed meant i was piling up training points but couldnt use them.

Later, I was stealthing about and found an R3 warlock about to farm an orc camp; this is apparently the new coke of farming.  We talked and I joined him to be the bag man; he flew overhead and rained down constant death on the orc camp, i stayed stealthed and looted all the corpses.  We even both got ganked once by drive by R5's and still made a nice pile of cash and items. 

And now im level 37. :)

I was kicking myself; had over 30k in gold and a bunch of magic items when a thief got the drop on me when i was refreshing stealth.  Buh bye loot.
Recalling to the bank periodically so you dont lose your stuff to death.  Long runs through totally empty wildness to get to "adventure zones".  Watching track for signs of PK'ers.  Recognizing that generally any guild that has a black shield with a skull are idiots...

Ah the memories.

Xilren

ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 08:15:48 AM

Maybe some people don't approach is only as a game, but as a roleplaying experience?

Taste MyNutsack can be a bit of a speedbump to some people's immersion.

Not sure why many people would pick SB for roleplaying, what with the boring-as-shit PvE pretty much requiring AFK leveling to prevent catass-itus and the mostly empty world.  It's not like one can say they don't know what to expect anymore either, Shadowbane has been limping along now for a few years and people either know of it or don't particularly give a damn.  At least that's my hypothesis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Brand new server online (new ruleset)  
Jump to: