Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:38:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Lineage 2 crashs and burns 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lineage 2 crashs and burns  (Read 10182 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: June 01, 2004, 01:37:21 AM

A massive dupe bug in Lineage 2 has just become public knowledge.  There is an unlimited SP bug too but they don't seem to be worried about that one.

There was another dupe bug which allowed multiple rewards from a quest because the item server was lagging, they fixed that by breaking the quest involved.

This bug however is a true dupe with players able to clone their characters and then buy items and hence dupe them from their cloned characters.

GM Spam offical response below.

Some quick answers. Since you covered in one post, that others have put in many.

1. Thanks, I don't have enough room to post resumes here. But we have plenty of (experaince)experience on the team.

2. Exploiting is not alright. We ban 100's of accounts a day. Everyone that "tested" the exploit over the last 3 days will be banned. That simple.

3. Botting is not OK. We ban those guys everyday too.

4. Ebaying is not ok. Right now E-Bay is making us jump through a lot of hoops to join their VERO group so we can remove posts on a daily basis. Right now we can only stop them from the game side. We can only ban the farmers after we find their pimps. Otherwise it does us no good because their money is still in the economy. We ban about 30 farmers and pimps a day.

5. Duping is not ok. Please refer back to #2. We ban the duper and everyone that knows about the person duping with out reporting it.

So we ban farming rings. We ban dupers, scammers and bots.

We check bots in the same way as FFXI. But if they pass the test... ?

We don't always ban on the spot. Why? because they usually send some kind of in-game chat the implicates other people. Or pass their gear off to other accounts. Why pick the fruit if we can have the whole tree.

Oh I'm an American. So are the guys that work for me.

When it comes to the dupes and scam that are going on. Leave it to Americans (and some others) to have more fun hacking the client and breaking down packets then playing. Seriously, most of these faults in the game were unkown in KR. Why? Because in Korea if you are doing this you are probably sitting next to the person you are playing against. Not smart when they can leen over and smack you. Next, the police get involved in Korea. They will actually knock on your door. Here in the US. we have to gather evidence and submit a case. Not that easy if the person is Germany. (Yes we know about you out there. If you read this.)

I will post again tomorrow with some updates on what exactly we are doing about the problems.

Knowledge is now widespread, one player described the bug's effects.  I have read other posts about the exact method being given in shout channel in game.

I JUST MADE 800MIL IN 20 MINS      

Ok, I started a newb char from level 1 and using the dupe bug I started with 500 arrows and 1k adena, I started to dupe, In under 20 minutes I had made 800Million+ I wouldve made billions, but it seems you cannot exceed 999,999,999 in Lineage 2 at the moment - Atleast you cant in a Item Sales Shop.

Anyways, I found that this bug only really works well on Sieghardt Server - AKA the server of LAG HELL.

I decided to go around trading people 10 mil each, I handed out well over 500mil before my sub account was banned. =P

I have known about this bug, and used this bug since beta and quite alot of the "high lvl and rich" players also know about it :)
I never really used it to this extent before, i'd just do the occasional 5 mil when necessary...
I have also made $1000's out of ebay, and had a hell of a time.

Now that this bug has been revealed to the public, it'll be fixed soon and i'll be back to my main account, lvling, (richly duh lol)

I wont reveal any names of people who have duped in the passed, but guys it was fun whilst it lasted! hehe!

<Lineage 2 OWNED.>
<Ban this Sub Noob Account if you want>

No word as yet about a hotfix, a rollback or a wipe, it's going to be reported to the devs in Korea but fast action apart from banning players looks unlikely.  Considering the clone a character bug has been known since open beta the damage from this is going to hurt the game bad.

I cancelled a few days ago after realising I should have listened to Haemish.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 04:51:28 AM

5. Duping is not ok. Please refer back to #2. We ban the duper and everyone that knows about the person duping with out reporting it.

Ouch.  Play cop or get banned, I guess.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 04:56:24 AM

Heh.

I can't believe someone was dumb enough to brag about exploting when he already got a "sub" account banned. Did it ever occur to this guy that NCSoft might have a way of linking accounts by IPs used to log in or something like a hidden cookie?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 06:12:34 AM

Leave it to Americans (and some others) to have more fun hacking the client and breaking down packets then playing.

An unintentional funny.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 07:57:13 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic

Ouch.  Play cop or get banned, I guess.

Its the OSI "your guild is banned" policy, which I don't have issue with. The guy driving the getaway car is just as guilty of bank robbery as the masked gunmen inside.

unbannable
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 08:05:31 AM

Depends on how they do it.  

Lets say you're walking from point A to B and see a guy duping. Can you get banned if you don't take time out of your gaming schedule to do the Dev's job of enforcing punishment for violating a bug the Devs made?

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 09:13:07 AM

Holy Fuck, if you are going to have a PR shill on your boards explaining how they ban people, at least ensure he can write decent fucking English. That wasn't quite VIKLAS! bad on the GM's part, but holy shit, it was pretty fucking bad.

I love how he states that cheating in Korea will probably get you PK IN RL! LOL KEKE LA ^__^. Yeah, there's something to be proud of.

I'm all for banning the entire fucking guild if someone is duping in it, especially if that someone has officer status. Go farther. Ban the guild, ban their allies, then come to their house and slap the shit out of the little crumbsnatchers just on general principles.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 09:50:52 AM

But...but...if the game engine allows it, it's not cheating!

:P
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 10:00:16 AM

Technically, the game's engine allows me to stalk someone to their house and jam forks in their eyes, but we don't want to encourage that kind of behaviour, now do we? :)

Though in L2's case, it sounds like we might want to encourage that after all.

Personally, I hope they keep L2 broke as fuck, so that all these lazy, cheating, e-baying, griefer asstards will stay the fuck over there and leave the better games alone.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 10:39:08 AM

I went to a bunch of the sites I was frequenting during beta. They're all dead. Even the Horizons sites and guilds I knew in beta are hanging in there.

I really wonder, when you spend a year or two with a "guild" organized online for a game that isn't out, how bad is it when you disband the guild and quit after a month of release?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 10:42:54 AM

The L2 boards are full of drama at the moment, lots of people banned.

Full of threads from the silly

listen GMSpam, you really need to unban me.
It wasnt my fault I duped see?

I was playin yesterday, ya know, killin wolves and such, like a good little player should. And this elf ran up to me and said, "hey, im gonna tell ya how to dupe". Upon hearing this I was enraged. "NO" I screamed. "Thats horrible and against the T.O.S.!" I immediately went to my emotes to try to find that one that sticks my toons fingers in his ears while he says, "NA NA NA IM NOT LISTENING NA NA". But it wasn't there! I had no choice but to listen to him, and take careful notes. But thats beside the point! because YOU did not have a emote I needed for it, its your fault and not mine...

Anyway, after I was corrupted with this unwanted knowledge I tried to go about my wolf killing. But i just couldnt. Brigidine would be nice.. What am I thinking!! Shortly I heard a voice in the room with me. It said, "Do it". I looked around but noone was there. I went for my Ridilin when i heard it again. To my absolute horror I realized that it was my Chihuahua named Steve. I told Steve that there was no way I was doing it. Oh the verbal abuse he slung at me!! I've never been so berated in all my life. When he was finished I was in tears, and he was sitting in my lap. He looked my square in the eyes and told me that if I didnt dupe adena and buy brigidine he was gonna bite me on my sac.

After he made me dupe the adena he made me leave so he could play. It wasn't me who killed those three newbs at the elven dungeon entrance.

So thats why I shouldnt be banned. Ban Steve instead.

to the unlucky/guilty

I was walking around near giran, and saw some clones and people talking about them..... I setup an idle shop with tons of stuff next to them with overpriced prices.. when I came back from afk the dupers had boughten the overpriced items.... Now when I tried to login My account is dead?!?!? The reason it says for violating terms... This is the same error people are getting who dupe and rip people off and their accounts killed for it....

I didnt dupe, my account didn't, and its in the server logs, so why was my account killed?!?

If a duper buys stuff from your shop, Why should your account die?!? WTF?

to the downright stupid

Okay before you read my post any further dont think to your self oh another stupid noob that got scammed again... please read on and then decide.... One day I was looking for a group in Cruma and some guys named Entreprenuer pms me and makes me an offer I couldnt refuse... He tells me that he is a lawyer from Taiwan and doesn't have time to play this game. So I ask him to get to the point of his conversation. He then cuts straight to the chase he tells me he is gonna pay me and my friend to power level his character. He first offers me adena and when I show no interest he moves on to real life cash this is when he caught my interest. He then gives me a phone number were I could reach him at and review the details of our transaction. So naturally working a crappy job would jump on the opertunity of getting paid to play a game. After talking to him for maybe 2 days working out the details we decide he would pay us 90 dollars a lvl from 25-35 so for 10 lvls me and my friend would play in shifts his character. Well he tells me he is working on sending the money via cashiers check and to make sure he doesnt get scammed he ask for some insurance so I gave him all of my characters equipment he then logs off . Naturally waiting for like 2 hours I get worried so I call him he doesnt pick up . He then later logs in I try to contact him he doesnt responde. So I send a petition the gms after talking to me decide they will forward this issue to the next tier. It has almost been 2 weeks since I did this and in that time span I have met about 10 other players who have been duped this way by this person and NC soft hasnt done a damn thing
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 11:30:37 AM

to the downright stupid...

Jesus, what an idiot. He must be the type who loses his life savings sending it to deposed royalty in Nigeria.

Scammer- "I don't have time to play this game...I will pay you to play it for me."

Me- "Eat a cock, douchebag."

Why can't I ever get approached by these fuckers? Oh yeah- because I refuse to play a game that is so fucking mindless that even the mention of PAYING SOMEONE TO PLAY FOR YOU doesn't seem out of line.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 12:04:16 PM

I thought it was going to be a riff on the Nigeria scam, too. Would have been a better post imo. Damned amateurs.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 12:07:24 PM

Too many ellipsis... not enough punctuation... lack of white space choking... ackkkkk!

Killed by teh stupid.

Anonymous

Email
Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 12:40:19 PM

Another PvP game ruined by levels and rampant exploitation?

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 12:50:52 PM

Another PvP game ruined by griefers/exploiters?  Not surprised, the word PvP is like honey to the flies.

Do you think they will rethink their strategy and split the development of the US version from being subservient to the Korean version?  Or just close down the US sites?  After all, after they sour the milk for the exploiters, there'll be no one left, as the non-exploiting players have left a long time ago and aren't coming back.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 12:53:24 PM

All I have to say about the situation is that it couldn't have happened to a more deserving game.

Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 02:55:19 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
All I have to say about the situation is that it couldn't have happened to a more deserving game.

Not even Pool of Radiance 2? Or are we by game refearing to MMOGS only theese days? In wich case I agree.

Wiiiiii!
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 03:44:46 PM

Heck, you ought so see how desperate they are to get people to play this awful game.  The City of Heroes comic has a full page ad for Lineage 2.  Most of it is taken up by a barely clothed, well oiled dark elf woman.  Picture that Maxim Neverwinter Nights picture, only more blatant with shinier cleavage..

I played the beta for 2 maybe 3 hours.  Awful game!
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 03:51:24 PM

Guess they just just need to take screenshots with the nude patch applied?
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 05:50:06 PM

City of Heroes comic?  I don't have my comic yet.  When did you get that?
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: June 01, 2004, 05:58:58 PM

Quote from: Alluvian

http://www.f13.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=620
XMackenzie
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 10:20:31 PM

The GM may be an idiot, but I love his terminology of pimps and farmers for the EBay folks.  That needs to be heavily incorporated into the MMORPG observer lexicon.

attention span of a gnat
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: June 02, 2004, 08:36:26 AM

Quote from: Alluvian

I am continually amazed by the attempts of hopelessly virginal gamer geeks to view pixellated boobies that they have about as much chance of touching as actual boobies.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 02, 2004, 09:03:06 AM

I just got my coh comic yesterday so it should be arriving soon for you.

Not a bad lil comic either looks pretty well done.

kaid
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 02, 2004, 10:05:13 AM

Same one from E3. Not terrible, if I was 12.
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 02, 2004, 10:25:01 PM

See this is why we can't have nice things!

My knuckles are bleeding, on your front door...

~Pig Destroyer

http://www.wtfman.com
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #27 on: June 02, 2004, 11:25:56 PM

Still no CoH comic in my mail box.   Tried to download the monthly comic from the CoH website and the pesky thing just times out.

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 03, 2004, 07:00:05 AM

I thought the comic book was acceptable.  The story and dialog were standard fare but the art was clean and the coloring was classic and bold.  I don't know the artists background but he certainly has a potential future in comic books.

The story is only like 16 pages; the rest is background material on the game and advertisements from NCSoft.  Oh, and a nice page of fan art and a so-so fan story.

Bruce
Riley
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 03, 2004, 08:56:01 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
Too many ellipsis... not enough punctuation... lack of white space choking... ackkkkk!

Killed by teh stupid.

I think its from playing L2... I was just impressed that he actually had line breaks at the end of words instead of in the middle of them.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Lineage 2 crashs and burns  
Jump to: