Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:55:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cruelty: The WB Superstar USA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cruelty: The WB Superstar USA  (Read 2586 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

on: May 31, 2004, 07:54:32 PM

Anyone else here seen this? Basically, it follows the same format as American Idol, except the judges dump the good singers and advance the bad ones. By "bad" I mean absolutely fucking horrible. The catch is that the singers don't know that. They think it's real. At the end the judges will tell them it was all a lie and that they suck.

Very, very cruel, but also funny as shit. I've only caught the last 3 episodes, and not only can the 8 finalists not carry a tune, they've also got to be the most fucked up, deluded individuals I've ever seen in my life (the good thing is that that kind of attitude just might save them from suicide).
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 08:04:09 PM

I think it's the only good reality show that has ever been broadcast. Many Americans need to be told that they are moron douchebags.

...and if someone commits suicide, I mean, hrmmm, ok? Apologies to his families and friends, but if the outcome is reality tv is pulled off the air, then I would say the reward outmeasures the price exponentially.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 03:11:16 AM

I like that concept. Sieve out the worst fucking morons and then hit them where it hurts.

Seriously, some people on these retarded casting shows just deserve treatment like that. I mean, there's a point you just HAVE to realize you can't sing AT ALL. Yet I've seen enough of these casting show retorts being so selfsufficient, thinking they're the ubersinger while making people's ears bleed. Take as example the drama William Hung pulled on American Idol.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 09:29:27 AM

No, what's really sick is that William Hung has made money off of sucking so badly in public. Hell, the only American Idol shows I can stand to watch are the early auditions where the shitty singers come up. After that, it's just a shitty show.

The best reality TV is the mean stuff, like Fox's "My Big, Fat Obnoxious Fiancee," Sci-Fi's "Mad, Mad House" and WB's "The Surreal Life." If you aren't going to try to be mean with reality TV, don't fucking bother. Most "real" people aren't interesting.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 09:34:00 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
The best reality TV is the mean stuff, like Fox's "My Big, Fat Obnoxious Fiancee," Sci-Fi's "Mad, Mad House" and WB's "The Surreal Life." If you aren't going to try to be mean with reality TV, don't fucking bother. Most "real" people aren't interesting.

And erhm, Superstar. It's seriously the only reality show I find interested. The people on the show believe in themselves which is great because they are actually embracing the suq.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 11:12:15 AM

And erhm, Superstar.

Check it out Haemish. I haven't watched any other Reality shows, but if they're anything like this, then I guess I'm finally hooked.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 01:34:14 PM

The best reality TV is the mean stuff, like Fox's "My Big, Fat Obnoxious Fiancee,"

From the previews it looked like SUCH a shitty show, and my wife made us watch it once just so we could properly mock it.  I actually found the show pretty damn funny.  The guy playing the part of the obnoxious fiancee was a very amusing individual and he really made the show.  I will give any credit for my liking the show directly to that actor though and not the producers.  Credit to the people who cast him as well I guess.  It was an amusing juggling act of being as much as an ass as you could be while still having to try and be believable.  Our cable company actually installed a filter on our line part way through so I only saw 4 or so episodes.  No free cable means no cable in my house.  Not worth the money and we can't get anything off rabbit ears.

I have not seen this WB show, but it sounds like the best of American Idol.  A show I will actually admit to liking in part as well.  I usually like a few of the contestent's voices and love the shitty singers at the beginning.  Too bad the show usually keeps some shitty singers around till past the freaking final five.  There is always the annoying pretty boy/girl that can't sing.  Often multiple.  Didn't watch past the early qualifying rounds this year.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 08:30:39 AM

Reality TV shows are very important to me.  Good Idol, Crap Idol, Real World, Big Brother, etc... without them I'd be addicted to sleeping pills.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 09:29:47 AM

I watched one episode of Superstar - it was definately cruel. I did have a good chuckle when a very talented and attractive singer finished and the record exec told them they were talentless, but that she had a knockout of a body and that he would be happy to take her out to dinner.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Cruelty: The WB Superstar USA  
Jump to: