Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:46:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Sony PSP Stuff from the PS3 summit. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sony PSP Stuff from the PS3 summit.  (Read 5133 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 15, 2006, 03:58:06 AM

PSP price cut to $199, future features unveiled
[UPDATE] GPS, mini-EyeToy video VOIP, digitally distributed PSone, Flash games announced in Japan; new price point unveiled in US.
TOKYO--Less than 24 hours after Sony informed the public of its existence, the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing kicked off in a hall in Tokyo. With little fanfare, Sony Computer President Ken Kutaragi took the stage to lay out his vision for the future of the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and PSP.

After reminding the crowd that the PlayStation 2 has sold over 100 million units, Kutaragi quickly turned the subject to the PSP. He said that, beginning in October the portable would support video voice over IP. This would be done with the use of a digital camera add-on which would support motion jpegs. Kutaragi referred to the camera as an "EyeToy," and said it would attach externally to the handheld.

Kutaragi also announced that Sony is developing an emulator that will allow PSPs to play original PlayStation games. He said the PSone games would be digitally distributed to PSPs, adding ammo to rumors that Sony is planning to distribute classic games much like Microsoft already does with the Xbox 360 and Nintendo will with the Revolution.

Since the PSP's built-in memory is limited, the digital-distribution announcement also seems to lend credence that a second PSP with built-in flash memory is in the works, though Kutaragi did not confirm so explicitly.

Kutaragi concretely confirmed another rumor--that the PSP would play games made with Macromedia Flash. He also said the handheld would support RSS feeds at an unspecified later date, and that it would eventually get GPS locator functionality.

The executive then went on to officially confirm the delay of the PS3 and announce new features for the platform.

[UPDATE] At the same time across the Pacific, Sony Computer Entertainment America announced that it is dropping the US price of the PSP. Starting March 22, gamers will be able to pick up the portable for just $199, versus the $249 Value Pack currently available. However, while the Value Pack contains a 32MB Memory Stick Duo, soft case, remote control, and headphones, the only peripherals mentioned as being in the $199 PSP package are a "AC adaptor and battery," which are also included in the Value Pack.

Sony used the new price point announcement to proclaim that since the PSP's launch last March, it has shipped 15 million units worldwide. It boasted that, so far, the handheld has brought "in more than $1.6 billion as of calendar year 2005, more than both Xbox 360 and Nintendo DS combined."

The company also said that by month's end there will be "more than 107 games and more than 347 feature films, TV programs and videos from major studios" available for the PSP in North America.

Lots more words:

• Video VOIP with the mini-eyetoy.
  • PS1 Downloads.
  • Flash games will be playable in the browser.
  • $199.99 barebones price point
  • Somehow it made more than the DS and the 360 Combined. This has to be because of the (much) higher game pricepoint and movies).

Looks like that UMD movie gamble paid off big.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 07:18:14 AM

I think it's obvious the UMD movie thing worked just based on how many titles are available. The dropping of the price point is nice, but it's still too goddamn expensive, IMO. Adding PS1 game compatibility certainly enhances the value, but the video phone thing? Sounds silly to me. But then I'm not Japanese.

The big announcement there is the delay of the PS3. I want to hear more about that.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 07:55:28 AM

I'm still floored by the idea that people buy UMD's.  It's like $25 for a movie you can buy for $15 on release day.  I don't understand.

I would like my PSP much more if the games were prices at $29.99 like DS games.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 11:51:19 AM

$199 is still too much, especially for only the base unit.

If I wanted to watch tiny movies, I'd get an iPod.

Can someone explain to me why I would need a remote with my PSP?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 12:18:33 PM

I find the PS1 game stuff extremely exciting, even with SotN having so many decent clones on the GBA/DS.  The idea that I could get my Vandal Hearts on with a gig stick and play for a longer time than a UMD would allow without a recharge and it's SUPPORTED by Sony goes a long way towards making the purchase something reasonable.  PSP seems like the ideal place for emulation and I'm glad to see Sony somewhat embracing that.

MrHat:  What I do usually is buy the movie DVD's as I usually would and then grab a torrent for it and transfer that to my mem stick.  I lose some of my time waiting to download the flick I just purchased in exchange for having the movie on the go and my battery isn't drained of power as quickly.  Plus, that whole portable and nice screen thing...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 12:23:51 PM

I suppose I should have written out that I can put PS1 discs into my PS2.  Or PS1 for that matter.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 12:58:18 PM

The PSP was the worst electronic purchase I made in the last several years. The amount and quality of the games is horrible and UMDs are way overpriced.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 01:27:11 PM

First year a system comes out, low number of games that are of questionable quality. Shocking.

Welcome to the world of Early Adoption. Would you like a copy of Fantavision with that?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 09:26:49 AM

Welcome to the world of Early Adoption. Would you like a copy of Fantavision with that?

I still haven't finished Eternal Ring.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 02:14:48 PM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Sony PSP Stuff from the PS3 summit.  
Jump to: