Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: News from the PS3 Summit 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: News from the PS3 Summit  (Read 9565 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 15, 2006, 01:23:53 AM

It's Official: PS3 launching worldwide November 2006
Sony confirms delay for next-gen console; says it will support an Xbox Live-like online gaming service--and use a 60GB Linux hard drive.
TOKYO--Today at the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutagari made it official--the PlayStation 3 has been delayed. The news confirmed widely circulated Japanese newspaper reports, which said that the delay was due to copyright-protection problems with the next-generation console's Blu-ray drive. For his part, Kutaragi would only say the delay was due to "Blu-ray spec finalization."

Kutaragi told the crowd at the event that the PS3 would now launch in November 2006 worldwide. That dispelled fears that the console would make it to Japan in time by the fall, but would miss the all-important holiday shopping season in the US and Europe. In fact, Kutaragi explicitly told the crowd of game retailers and journalists present that the PS3 would arrive before Thanksgiving in all territories.

Besides the delay, Kutaragi also made official another widely reported aspect of the PS3. He said that Sony is indeed preparing an Xbox Live-like online gaming service for the console, which would be called the "PlayStation Network Platform." Though he was short on specifics, the executive did say that currently Sony planned the service to be "free."

While the simultaneous tri-territory PS3 scheme may sound much like Microsoft's international launch of the Xbox 360, Sony plans to avoid the shortages that befell its competitor. Kutaragi said that the company plans on producing at least one million units of the console each month in order to keep the supply channel full. He said the goal was to ship 6 million PS3s worldwide by March 2007.

The SCE president also told the crowd that the PS3 would use a 60GB 2.5" hard drive. Unsurprisingly, the hard drive will be loaded with the Linux operating system versus Microsoft's Windows OS. As of press time, it was unclear whether or not the HD would be boxed with the system or be sold separately.

Last month, a Merrill Lynch report predicted a six- to 12-month delay for the PS3. Earlier this month, a note from Friedman Billings Ramsey said that the system may not come out in the US until 2007. The Merrill Lynch report cited the company's decision to go with new technologies in the Cell processor and its Blu-ray drive as main reasons for the delay, with heat issues and a lack of software that would be ready for a spring launch sealing the deal. The FBR note didn't cite a reason, but readers could infer it from its sources: supply chain data combined with news from the firm's semiconductor research team.

Investor anticipation of a PS3 delay had shares of Sony trading down as much as 2 percent in Japan before the press conference, according to a New York Times report.

Wow. That's a lot of words. BULLET POINTS FOR YOU, DARNIAQ.

• Obviously will ship by Black Friday in the US.
  • There will not be enough by black friday int he uS.
  • 60GB Harddrive with Linux on it.
  • The Online service will be free as in Bullshit.

Yea, that's about it.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 07:06:25 AM

I smell fear.  Or is it bacon?  Either way, sadimpatientpanda
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 07:23:26 AM

which said that the delay was due to copyright-protection problems with the next-generation console's Blu-ray drive. For his part, Kutaragi would only say the delay was due to "Blu-ray spec finalization."

Fuck off and die, bitchmasters. Stop worrying about people copying shit and maybe you'd get the goddamn thing out on time. Fucking tools.

Besides the delay, Kutaragi also made official another widely reported aspect of the PS3. He said that Sony is indeed preparing an Xbox Live-like online gaming service for the console, which would be called the "PlayStation Network Platform." Though he was short on specifics, the executive did say that currently Sony planned the service to be "free."

That's either bullshit, or it'll suck. I'm leaning towards it'll suck, because they won't have enough time to make it work right.

Kutaragi said that the company plans on producing at least one million units of the console each month in order to keep the supply channel full. He said the goal was to ship 6 million PS3s worldwide by March 2007.

Yeah, keke. That's some crazy batshit insane talk there. You've got delays because of a hardware spec not being finalized (and maybe having copy-protection issues) and not only are you going to ramp up manufacturing in 6 months, you are going to ramp it up to levels that will assure there are no shortages?

Pull the other one, it shoots out fairy dust and unicorn testicles.

The SCE president also told the crowd that the PS3 would use a 60GB 2.5" hard drive. Unsurprisingly, the hard drive will be loaded with the Linux operating system versus Microsoft's Windows OS. As of press time, it was unclear whether or not the HD would be boxed with the system or be sold separately.

If it doesn't ship with the unit, or isn't reasonably priced, it's just as useless as the 360 bundle. INCLUDE THE HARD DRIVE. Don't be dumbasses.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 08:29:54 AM

That's either bullshit, or it'll suck. I'm leaning towards it'll suck, because they won't have enough time to make it work right.

Eh?  It already exists and works fine, it has a different name currently but it has to be the same service that they use for FFXI.  Probably just with a prettier front end and maybe some more 'features'.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:42:05 AM

One thing I found interesting in an article I read about this is that Sony is telling developers that their games should require the hard drive. The same article then quotes the Sony guy at the conference as saying that they haven't decided if the hard drive will be included with the system.

So, hard drive required. But it may cost extra past the estimated $600 the console is going to cost.

Here it is. From Gamespot:

[UPDATE] The SCE president also told the crowd that the PS3 would use a 60GB 2.5" hard disc drive (HDD). A slide show during the presentation said the HDD would will be loaded with the Linux operating system versus Microsoft's Windows OS. The show also said it could be used as a "home server" and be directly connected to the Internet, and be full "upgradeable."

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the Hard Drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

However, Kutaragi revealed that Sony had not decided whether or not the PlayStation 3 would come with the hard-drive pre-installed. "We might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market," he said. This raises the possibility that the PS3 could be sold without a piece of hardware needed to play PS3 games--in effect forcing consumers to buy a peripheral for basic functionality.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:12:46 AM

which said that the delay was due to copyright-protection problems with the next-generation console's Blu-ray drive. For his part, Kutaragi would only say the delay was due to "Blu-ray spec finalization."

Fuck off and die, bitchmasters. Stop worrying about people copying shit and maybe you'd get the goddamn thing out on time. Fucking tools.

This no doubt has to do 100% more with movies than with games. In fact, games aren't going to be Blu-Ray for as far as I can tell.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 11:24:39 AM

This no doubt has to do 100% more with movies than with games. In fact, games aren't going to be Blu-Ray for as far as I can tell.

Even more reason for the FOAD response. They can eat a steaming, necrosy-filled plate of horse testicles about copying movies. It doesn't hurt your business enough to give a fuck. Stop being retarded.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 11:29:58 AM

I get the feeling that Kutaragi was doing a lot of air-quotes during that presentation.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 04:29:27 PM

Eh?  It already exists and works fine, it has a different name currently but it has to be the same service that they use for FFXI.  Probably just with a prettier front end and maybe some more 'features'.

Last I knew FFXI uses PlayOnline which is SquareEnix's thing.  Didn't think that really had anything to do with Sony.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 04:30:24 PM

Last I knew FFXI uses PlayOnline which is SquareEnix's thing.  Didn't think that really had anything to do with Sony.

My mistake then.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 06:49:11 PM

That's not going to happen as long as Stringer is running the show. The battle between the technology guys and the content guys came to a head last year at Sony and the content guys won -- Stringer, a media guy (e.g. he was President of CBS) and the champion of DRM within Sony, was made CEO and Kutaragi, an outspoken critic of how the content divisions were stiffling innovation within Sony, was demoted. The Sony rootkit fiasco caused Sony to step back a bit but that was only a single battle lost -- they fully intend to win the DRM war against consumers.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 07:02:29 AM

Not really sure why this matters to anyone here?

Wasn't the PS3 always on track for the Euro/N. America release in November? The only delay is the day it's coming out in Japan. Instead of coming out early in Japan it's now just coming out at the same time everywhere.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 07:23:01 AM

Not really sure why this matters to anyone here?

Wasn't the PS3 always on track for the Euro/N. America release in November?
The NA/Euro release dates were always up in the air other than "after the Japan release" which was originally Spring 2006 (Kutaragi's E3 announcement as their target date). There were of course lots of wild guesses when the NA and Euro releases might be including Summer 2006, Christmas 2006, and even sometime in 2007.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 07:46:05 AM

Details on the PlayStation Network Platform (Xbox Live competitor) from GameSpot.

The major news is that you'll be able to play online multiplayer games for free over the network unlike Xbox Live (have to upgrade to Gold for that unless its for a non-existent MMO).

It's not mentioned in the above article but apparently this same platform will be used for the PSP as well with a single login for both (assuming you have both). Also Gamasutra is reporting that GameSpy is involved in the development (along with SOE).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 08:38:52 AM

Ok, wait. They are only going to be getting the online component's SDK to developers in MARCH? And you wonder why I'm concerened that it'll be a fucked up launch, especially considering they haven't finalized (or are having problems with) the Blu Ray drives? Does anyone else think maybe they are trying way too much?

I predict this will be another in a long line of shitty console releases, and will only be a worthwhile purchase a year after launch.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 09:24:09 AM

I predict this will be another in a long line of shitty console releases, and will only be a worthwhile purchase a year after launch.

On target.  Wait a year.  Maybe more.  If it hits in Nov 06, I might get one in May 07, but the future is uncertain.  We might know more after the Rev arrives.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 10:27:45 AM

Meh, I fully plan on buying one at launch.

And then selling it on E-bay.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 10:43:31 AM

Ah, I have been pwned.  You win.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 02:55:52 PM

I plan on buying one at launch and selling a picture of it on E-Bay.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 03:12:37 PM

I plan on buying two at launch and selling the second one to pay for both of them and the launch titles I may or may not want but will buy anyway.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 04:05:51 PM

If you sell the system, the box and a picture of it you can profit hardcore.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 04:16:45 PM

I just picked up a second copy of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence LE and the preview disc. I plan on funding a PS3 purchase with that once the mongoloids sell all theirs off on Ebay.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 04:56:01 PM

That LE sucked. What hurts the most is that you'll get an assload of money for it. You win at life.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 05:30:47 PM

Nah, the third disc is awesome, and I'm glad I have my own copy of it. The game itself though, meh, overrated.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: News from the PS3 Summit  
Jump to: