Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:36:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: GDC '06 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GDC '06  (Read 11204 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: March 09, 2006, 08:55:31 PM

GDC's in a couple of weeks.  I'll be there, but I won't be able to go to any of the talks or anything, so meh.  If I see anything exciting out on the floor I'll let y'all know.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 11:01:04 PM

GG will be sending 14 I think down--it's our major event of the year. New TSE tech demo, first Torque Game Builder demos (at a convention), Torque Constructor (brush based cross-platform mapping tool), and quite a bit more for us down there.

Look me up Sam, we'll have a beer or two!

Rumors of War
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:04:33 PM

Going to the Autodesk party on Tuesday night?  If so I'll see you there.  On the actual conference days I'll probably be burning rubber after the floor closes so I can escape San Jose ahead of the rush hour traffic.  (God, I hate driving to/from/in San Jose.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 11:32:16 PM

Not 100% sure of our planned schedule yet---I'm actually flying down to your way tomorrow for the rest of the week to teach a custom training session at a company in San Rafael though. Flying back friday night, then turning around and driving back down monday morning (don't ask).

See if you can stop by our booth if I don't see you tuesday night, and we'll hook up.

Rumors of War
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:06:57 AM

This thing is in San Jose?

Does it cost money to get in the door or can I just tell them I know Schild?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 09:11:01 AM

This thing is in San Jose?

You can tell them. Make sure and get pictures when you do.  evil

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 09:16:11 AM

It costs money: http://www.gdconf.com/register/passoptions.htm
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 09:53:08 AM

And that is why I don't get to go to any of the talks.   undecided

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 12:01:50 PM

And that is why I don't get to go to any of the talks.   undecided

Let me sum up the talks for you ahead of time so you won't feel you've missed anything:

If we were given the money our project deserves then we could've created a powerhouse that would certainly rival World of Warcraft but the investors don't share our vision and so here is this steaming pile of crap we like to call Elves and Shit Online Multiversal 2. Viva la PS3!
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 12:53:19 PM

I don't know about the viva PS3 part. And I'm not too sure how big a role PC MMOGs will play at the show. Or if Blizzard even gives a fuck about anything smaller than Blizzcon. But besides the keynote, ya, I don't know how interesting it'll be.
Zonk
Terracotta Army

Slashdot Games

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 06:14:01 AM

I will be attending, but a lot of the MMOG related stuff overlaps with the keynotes. The keynotes will be of more general interest to the slashdotters, so I'm going to miss out on Damion's PvP talk, et al.

At least I get to hear Wil Wright talk about Spore. That'll be nice.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 07:10:52 AM

I'm going to miss out on Damion's PvP talk

Now I'm almost sorry I won't be going.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 08:51:45 PM

I went today.  Nothing terribly exciting to report. 

There was a Project Offset engine demo running at the nVIDIA booth, running on a 7800 and looking great, but it was completely non-interactive so for all I know it was prerendered.

Some company or other had some fairly decent VR goggle things that track head movement, and to demo it they had a flight sim where you could move your head around to look around inside the cockpit and out different windows.  Kinda cool, but I really want to see an FPS that utilizes technology like this and does it in a way that doesn't feel stupid.

Microsoft had a Vista demo running that looked considerably slicker than the last beta I saw.  Lots of translucent windows and that sort of thing.

The most exciting playable game I saw was probably RoboBlitz.  Last year at E3 it was being shown off as an nVIDIA tech demo; just a basic little deathmatch thing with robots.  Since then it's become a single-player game (with a multiplayer component as well) that actually looks sorta cool, focusing primarily on physics puzzles and extremely silly weapons that show off their physics engine in entertaining ways (like, for example, a "point to point tractor beam" that sets up a powerful attractive force between any two objects you fire it at).  If they sell it as a $20 title I'll very likely pick it up.

That's about it.  /blah

Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 02:15:12 AM

that pricing is just fucked up. 12 diffrent passes? Okay, so meals are included in the better ones, still fairly expensive. Guess it's not really meant for people where their employer doesn't pay up  undecided
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: GDC '06  
Jump to: