Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:34:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Final Fantasy XII scored a perfect in Famitsu... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII scored a perfect in Famitsu...  (Read 9403 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 08, 2006, 03:18:06 PM

...Japan once again threatens to cancel themselves out with bad taste.

Final Fantasy XII Scores Perfect In Famitsu
Latest FF brings the perfect game tally to six.
by Jonathan Lumb, 03/08/2006 

107 of 113 users recommend this story. 
Final Fantasy XII is just one short week away from release in Japan, and today, the first review scores became public as early copies of this week's issue of Weekly Famitsu, Japan's most well-known gaming magazine, went on sale. The verdict? A perfect score of 40 out of 40.

Although Famitsu isn't especially known for its conservative scores, the multiple reviewer aspect of the cross reviews makes it difficult for games to score perfectly. Only five titles have attained such elite status before: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, for Nintendo 64, Soul Calibur, for Dreamcast, Vagrant Story, for PlayStation, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, for GameCube and Nintendogs, for Nintendo DS. Japanese forum-goers have observed that only one perfect review has been given out for each platform to date, and for the past couple of years, many have been predicting that Final Fantasy XII would be "the one."

Each of the four reviewers praised the graphics, scenario and game system extensively, in particular the freshness that the latest entry has brought to the Final Fantasy series. Interestingly enough, this is the second time a Yasumi Matsuno game received a perfect score from Famitsu; he was also the director of the critically-acclaimed PlayStation epic, Vagrant Story. Although he's no longer being credited as the man in charge of Final Fantasy XII, his influence is still very obviously prevalent throughout the game.

via 1UP.

Motherfuck. The demo wouldn't even get a 2/10 from me. I don't fucking get it. But it looks like my earlier comments were correct. Famitsu has lost every ounce of it's credibility. Though Nintendogs getting a 40 clenched that.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 03:28:28 PM

Pandering to their audience.  They had a reader survey of the best 100 games and you know what most of the top 20 were?
Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games.

They picked FFX as the best game of all time.

Which proves Japanese gamers are just as happy with regurgitated shit as American ones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 09:09:31 AM

I need to get my hands on this FFXII demo somewhere.  I've heard it's bad, but you can never appreciate how bad until you play it yourself.. and I really don't want to spend the $60 to do it on the actual game.

YEs, FFX being 'Big #1 game,Joe!" was a joke. The sphere system was cool, but the characters all grated on my nerves.  Well, except Auron.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 11:51:55 AM

I liked the FFXII demo and can't wait for the full game.  Not trying to be contrary at all, I really enjoyed it.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 09:43:48 PM

Maybe the game is better than the demo? It's certainly possible. And the FF series was in need of some change. The boring battle + custscenes rout was getting old.

Matsuno is a weirdo. I don't know what the story is on him, according to my friend on the inside he just kind of stopped coming to work or something like that. Matsuno originally worked at Quest on the Ogre Battle games, now SE has bought those properties and Matsuno keeps hoping they will let him head up a new Ogre Battle game but Square hasn't been doing that so he's all depressed or something.

The guy is pretty clearly good at his job though. I remember playing my friend's import version of Ogre Battle and being totally blown away by it. Such an incredible mix of graphics, gameplay and atmosphere.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 07:17:35 PM

I liked the FFXII demo and can't wait for the full game.  Not trying to be contrary at all, I really enjoyed it.

Seconded. FFX was my first in-depth foray into RPGs. Loved it. Got lke, 50 hours out of it.

FFX-2? Not so much.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 10:11:47 AM

FFX was your first in-depth foray into RPGs?  Hrmph, I like the game and all, but...
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 09:46:41 PM

newb l2p?

Wait, what're we trying to say here?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 11:05:21 PM

VDL needs a trial by fire. I'd say start with any game using the Infinity Engine, or the Fallout series.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 02:29:20 PM

Saying that the final version of FFXI has to be better than the demo seems like it has to be true.  I can't imagine the final game being that crappy.  I mean crappy in terms of the controls; the responsiveness and feel were on par with something on the Atari 2600.  The visuals were pretty nice, and I don't really mean the cutscenes.  If the controls were more snappy, I'd give many more points to FFXI, but I have a very hard time believing that it can trump Ocarina of Time.  If either was longer, I'd be more likely to hand that honor to God of War or RE4, but not even Wind Waker could quite reach Ocarina status for me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 06:26:05 PM

but not even Wind Waker could quite reach Ocarina status for me.

You're dreamy, Yegolev.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 12:29:42 PM

but not even Wind Waker could quite reach Ocarina status for me.

You're dreamy, Yegolev.

Back at you.  wink  No one else understands this basic stuff of the universe except you and me, it seems.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 07:05:15 PM

What is so hard about one-button-instant-camera-behind-you? So few games utilize this very simple and beautiful control. And auto-jump takes a wee getting used to, but is so logical and easy after Super Mario 64's brain-fucking jump controls. See, it's not even a Miyamoto thing, it is just a Zelda thing.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Strazos

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 08:23:14 AM

And auto-jump takes a wee getting used to, but is so logical and easy after Super Mario 64's brain-fucking jump controls.

STFU newb...

Mario64's jump controls were beyond awesome.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 12:55:48 PM

No, Ninja Gaiden's jump controls were beyond awesome.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 03:29:15 PM

yeah, once you master the wall-jump you're golden, but levels in which the entire point is to test one's jumping skills make me homicidal.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Strazos

Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 05:21:15 PM

yeah, once you master the wall-jump you're golden, but levels in which the entire point is to test one's jumping skills make me homicidal.

Can I watch?

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Final Fantasy XII scored a perfect in Famitsu...  
Jump to: