Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:50:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Cryptic give up on non-combat skill system, plan for crafting instead. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cryptic give up on non-combat skill system, plan for crafting instead.  (Read 3651 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: March 08, 2006, 06:15:15 AM

Quote from: Statesman
Skills are shelved.

Inventions? smiley

<end of message>

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 06:41:48 AM

Estimated time until States realizes that "four words and a smiley" + "red name" = "five-year plan chiseled in stone"?

--GF
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 09:29:44 AM

Let the whine-tasting begin!

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 09:38:46 AM

<outoftheloop>What were skills supposed to be used for in CoX, if not crafting?</outoftheloop>

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 10:36:45 AM

Ways to enhance missions.  Things like detective work which helps you find clues, locate glowies, gives some information, etc.  They never gave us more than vague details and that they had scrapped the system several times because it was never fun.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 12:20:15 PM

Ways to enhance missions.  Things like detective work which helps you find clues, locate glowies, gives some information, etc.  They never gave us more than vague details and that they had scrapped the system several times because it was never fun.
I think that might have been one early (or late!) possibility, but they made at least two runs at the idea and scrapped both of them.

--GF
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 05:54:34 AM

Crafting is going to be done via SG (guild) bases.  Making a base, putting the goodies in it, and then paying the rent is hopefully going to get tougher on the small SG's. But supposedly the crafting is gonna rock, so I'm looking forward to it. I have no idea htf they thought they'd be able to put skills in the game anyway.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 07:07:24 AM

Crafting is going to be done via SG (guild) bases.  Making a base, putting the goodies in it, and then paying the rent is hopefully going to get tougher on the small SG's.
...you mean "easier", right?

Small SGs are complaining about how it's months to being able to do anything useful, and I think it's been mathematically proven that you can't get prestige fast enough with a 75-member max-level SG to pay rent on the largest base plot.

I'm hoping that somewhere in there they let people trade salvage for prestige.

--GF
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 08:54:00 AM

Yeah.... easier, not harder please.  My SG of generally casual players still isn't raid-ready.  Our base is pretty much just a decoration, with a couple teleporters in it for ever-so-slightly faster travel.  I wanna go smash up someone else's base, or let them try to smash up ours.

RE: Skills

Yeah, I'd like more stuff to do that doesn't involve combat.  But don't waste my time with stuff that isn't fun.  In my opinion, it's the right call on their part.  Let's see if this invention system is any better.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 10:14:07 PM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 06:45:24 PM

They never gave us more than vague details and that they had scrapped the system several times because it was never fun.

That never stopped SOE  evil

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
dEOS
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 05:21:16 AM

I am still surprised that crafting components can not be used in costume part formulae. And you could get costume parts blueprints by random drops and also on certain specific kills/quests.

That would probably require lots of new costume parts. But hey, it's one of the best assets of the game.
And that would replace efficiently a loot system for posers :)

CoH - Freedom
WoW - EU Servers - Sargeras [French-PvP]
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 06:11:09 AM

I am still surprised that crafting components can not be used in costume part formulae. And you could get costume parts blueprints by random drops and also on certain specific kills/quests.

That would probably require lots of new costume parts. But hey, it's one of the best assets of the game.
And that would replace efficiently a loot system for posers :)

Because they'd rather tie unique costume pieces to out-of-game marketing promotions.  Mob

Over and out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Cryptic give up on non-combat skill system, plan for crafting instead.  
Jump to: