Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:23:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: For all of you Metallica fans....that are left 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For all of you Metallica fans....that are left  (Read 8127 times)
schild
Administrator

on: May 29, 2004, 08:02:35 PM

Trailer: Metallica: Some Kind of Monster

Ok. So Metallica has a documentary about the trauma that is their rock band. I'll put $20 on it being the whiniest 2 hours of film ever created - besides Thirteen.

Of particular note is the clip where James Hetfield is prea....speaking to the inmates at some prison. It takes some balls to bitch about Napster for a year and try to get teenagers arrest; then go talk about how you could be in prison if it weren't for the band. Fuck you James, fuck you.

Sign me up for the list where I download it, seed it, never watch it, and delete it.

From the under 30 crowd: Garden State looks halfway promising, but the initial reaction of IMDB isn't...so...good.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 09:58:15 PM

I gave up on Metallica in the early 90s when it was obvious they were no longer interested in the fans that made them BIG.

Face it, the Black Album was going to sell huge, no matter what it was.  Metallica was the biggest metal band on earth at the time.  But they just had to sell out and try for even more cash.  I stuck around until Load, and when I saw things were still going downhill, I got out.

Haha, I can still remember seeing them on the tour for the black album.  They opened with "Enter Sandman".  After that, James said, "So, do you want to hear more of the new stuff?"

Then entire arena yelled, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

And James replied with, "Well fuck you, we're playing it anyway."

That being said, I AM interested in getting this DVD.  It will probably be the most entertaining rockumentary since "Spinal Tap"!

In the meantime, enjoy The New Adventures of Metallica.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 10:10:48 PM

Spinal Tap was a farce. This new Metallica Documentary will be one of those cases where 'truth is stranger than fiction.'
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 10:16:41 PM

Quote from: schild
Spinal Tap was a farce. This new Metallica Documentary will be one of those cases where 'truth is stranger than fiction.'

Even with Tap being fake, I think this Metallica vid will out-Tap Tap, hehe!  I plan on downloading it, just to spite Lars.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 11:20:04 PM

I think if I ever watch it, I'll become physically ill.  Metallica went from bad ass to whiney, money grubbing bitches in a matter of an albumn.  

I just imagine it as 2 hours of Hetfield apologizing for his past, Lars bitching about everything in sight while rubbing himself with fresh 20 dollar bills, Kirk saying nothing interesting, and Cliff rolling in his grave.

God, I used to fucking love this band. I stuck around until Reloaded out of hope for a better tomorrow...

-Rasix
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 12:50:48 AM

I'm still waiting for them to make "KISS Saves Santa" IRL

Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 01:01:49 AM

Quote from: Rasix
Kirk saying nothing interesting.

Of course; he's one of the luckiest men in in the world.  Why would he put himself in danger of losing his job (which SO MANY people could fill better)?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 03:13:00 PM

I just imagine it as 2 hours of Hetfield apologizing for his past, Lars bitching about everything in sight while rubbing himself with fresh 20 dollar bills, Kirk saying nothing interesting, and Cliff rolling in his grave.

Bingo.

The band was over the day Cliff died imo. ...And Justice was a great album, but it was already an artifact of the 'old' band.

I never bought the Black Album, nor anything until the most recent, because I dig Trujillo and hey, it came with a free DVD of all the songs. The material ranges from mediocre to ok. Give Kirk his wah pedal back, dammit.

I think the biggest problem with Metallica is Bob Rock, actually. Even moreso than Newstead or Ulrich.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 08:06:11 PM

Quote from: Rasix
I think if I ever watch it, I'll become physically ill.  Metallica went from bad ass to whiney, money grubbing bitches in a matter of an albumn.

Yes. Motherfuckers killed my inner teenager.

I should have known something was wrong when after years and years of dissing MTV and videos, they made a video for "One." I should have fucking known, but I was just too happy to see 'REAL METAL MAN!' on MTV that I didn't think of the consequences. After 'Load' I can barely stand to hear anything anymore. The Black Album was decent if uninspired. I'm just glad I got to see them live on the Justice tour, back before they bowed to the altar of MTV.

Lars Ulrich can suck a bag of goat cocks for yanking tighter the chain around musician's necks that is the typical record contract.

Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 05:22:08 AM

From the under 30 crowd: Garden State looks halfway promising, but the initial reaction of IMDB isn't...so...good.

I will be going to see it.  I really enjoy Zach Braff's acting so far on Scrubs, plus it has a bit of humor about my lovely home and Natalie Portman.  The reviews from its showing at Sundance were quite good, contrary to those at IMDB.
Zephyr
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 01, 2004, 05:30:28 AM

Quote from: HaemishM

I should have known something was wrong when after years and years of dissing MTV and videos, they made a video for "One." I should have fucking known, but I was just too happy to see 'REAL METAL MAN!' on MTV that I didn't think of the consequences.

If you could sit through alot of the glam bands, Headbangers Ball used to have quite a few decent metal videos.  Some of the best videos didn't really get aired till the end of the show.  I guess they figure people would be passed out from hairspray at the time and they could play something decent.  

The same could be said of the latest incarnation, except replace hair bands with wannabe nu-metal bands.  Although the last couple I have watched have been fairly good with Iced Earth, Evergrey and Lacuna Coil being interviewed as well as having a few of their videos played.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 09:31:55 AM

There was a LOT of total shit on Headbanger's Ball back in the day, but I was a determined Metal head. Not having dates in high school allowed me to watch all of the Ball, until the good stuff came on. Nowadays, it's funny to watch videos of shitty bands like Overkill and think "Why the fuck did I ever buy one of these guy's albums? It's like Stryper for speed metal."

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 09:54:38 AM

Hey, Overkill's first album wasn't bad. I remember hearing them a few years later and thinking it must be a different band. They moved on to teh suck very quickly, about when they became all about the lime green and black, I guess.

The reason Headbanger's Ball (mostly) sucked was that most good metal bands weren't making videos. The new one is a little better, but still no Uranium.
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 10:07:22 AM

All the whining those cocks did about free downloaded music...I go to find 'Whiskey in the Jar' on iTunes, and of COURSE Metallica is no where to be found (I had to settle for the Thin Lizzy version, which is the version Metallica covered). I want to pay you for your fucking cover, idiots! I don't want your whole goddamned album.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 01:44:53 PM

Is there anywhere on standard cable that even fucking plays music videos anymore?  All we had was VH1, MTV and MTV2 None of them ever played any fucking music.  Wasn't the point of MTV2 supposed to be that they would play music while MTV was busy with beevis and butthead, road rules, and real world?

The only music station that plays music that I know of is Much Music, but that has never been on standard cable anywhere I have lived.  I just used to drool at it on any visits to canada.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: June 01, 2004, 01:50:41 PM

VH1 Classic tends to play videos from the 80's, including crappy pop, new wave, metal, hard rock and anything that was popular or tried to be popular in the 80's. VH1 Country and CMT play country music videos. MTV Hits usually plays rap and soul, unless they decide to inject their programming into it. I'm still not sure why artists/record companies even MAKE videos anymore, since only about 1% of the videos made are actually shown more than once.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: June 01, 2004, 05:08:49 PM

VH1 Classic tends to play videos from the 80's, including crappy pop, new wave, metal, hard rock and anything that was popular or tried to be popular in the 80's.

In other words, if you don't have an appreciation for Hall and Oates (especially "Oates"), then stay away. It's the "other" comedy channel.

Besides the few surprises on Headbanger's Ball or 120 minutes, MTV has always sucked, even with music videos...Beevis and Butthead was probably the best thing they ever did.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 07:55:58 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
VH1 Classic tends to play videos from the 80's, including crappy pop, new wave, metal, hard rock and anything that was popular or tried to be popular in the 80's. VH1 Country and CMT play country music videos. MTV Hits usually plays rap and soul, unless they decide to inject their programming into it. I'm still not sure why artists/record companies even MAKE videos anymore, since only about 1% of the videos made are actually shown more than once.

I got VH1 Classic for one of those freebie weekend deals and I thought it ruled.  They were playing all sorts of cool videos from the 80s.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 08:30:09 PM

Other than something in a college or broadcast on the 'net, since the dawn of the playlist, has there ever been a radio station or TV channel that you can expect a wide and eclectic mix of music on? For as long as I've listened, I've had to make do with programmes rather than full stations to find new music. However, things haven't necessarily got worse over time - when I was a youth, I had a choice of "Pick of the Pops" or whatever stretched cassette of the Beatles that the colonnial club had. Now, no matter how distant a shithole you find yourself in, you can regularly tune into John Peel on BBC World Service.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 09:22:37 PM

Quote from: Sky
Hey, Overkill's first album wasn't bad. I remember hearing them a few years later and thinking it must be a different band. They moved on to teh suck very quickly, about when they became all about the lime green and black, I guess.

The reason Headbanger's Ball (mostly) sucked was that most good metal bands weren't making videos. The new one is a little better, but still no Uranium.

Hey now, Overkill was and still is awesome.  Years of Decay is one of the best Thrash Metal albums of it's time.  And one of their newer albums Necroshine will take your fucking head off.

I graduated from Metallica fanboi on August 12th 1990(yes i remember the exact date the black album was released).  ...And Justice For All and Master of Puppets are pretty much untouchable as far as metal goes.  I hope that Cliff is haunting all their dreams.

I graduated to Death Metal in 1990 after being completely disgusted with the diretion the Black Album was taking heavy metal.  I haven't looked back since...

My knuckles are bleeding, on your front door...

~Pig Destroyer

http://www.wtfman.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 09:30:29 PM

Back when I was into black metal I enjoyed one album in particular, Obituary's World Demise.

The rest...crap.
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #21 on: June 01, 2004, 09:47:49 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
All we had was VH1, MTV and MTV2 None of them ever played any fucking music.

And we were damn glad to have it!! Young whippersnappers!
/old man voice

From what I can see on MTV and VH1 anymore, the focus has long since shifted from video rotations to original programming. With the current state of popular music, I tend to believe it's a blessing in disguise.

Then again, remember that MTV's Real World and Road Rules are the grandparents of reality TV. MTV...it's a lose-lose scenario.

Bring the noise.
Cheers............
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 02, 2004, 06:57:41 AM

MTV should be sued to take the M out of the name. What a farce.

VH1 classic is ok, but they should work on their 'heavy metal' show, because I'm always thinking "cool!" until Warrant or someone bounces onscreen, then "ahh shit."

MuchMusicUSA became Fuse, which is a decent music channel, especially the aforementioned Uranium. HDNet airs a good show called True Music (budweiser sponsored), highlights a lot of smaller artists, for better or worse.

I fail to see the connection between Metallica and death metal. They started as thrash, but never death, James had too good a voice ;) That's what always endds up turning me off death and black metal, the cartoony evil grover voice.

I still keep my foot in the heavy waters, though. Lately I've been digging some Superjoint Ritual. Leave it to Phil to keep making good heavy music.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #23 on: June 02, 2004, 11:22:05 AM

Back when I was into black metal I enjoyed one album in particular, Obituary's World Demise.

The rest...crap.

Obituary was in no way shape or form Black metal, it was pure Death...that nitpick aside, World Demise was a great album.

For those of you missing old school metallica, and are a bit out of touch with todays heavy music I would recommend checking out some of the following bands:

Black Label Society -metal with a touch of southern rock
The Haunted - slayer influenced thrash
In Flames - Iron Maiden for the 2000's
Shadows Fall - Doesn't do much for me, but it has lotsa fanboys
Killswitch Engage - the first album has all the angst you just might miss
Hatebreed - any album really, you know what you are gonna get slayer influenced hardcore
COC - hard rock with increasing southern flavor
Goatwhore - American black metal (had to throw in at least one curveball)
Dimension Zero - crazy fast thrash

As someone mentioned above, the cookie monster vocals in much of todays metal tends to get on my nerves.  For myself  James' vocals were a nice midpoint between cheesy operetic singing aka "clean vocals" and the incomprehensible "Death metal grunt".

If anyone knows of band that really reminds them of old school metallica without being a blatent rip-off let me know.

For those of you who don't mind a guilty pleasure, check out Children of Bodom's album Hatecrew Deathroll.  Insane guitar shredding at breakneck speeds with a mild black metal/death metal flavor.

-Fraeg

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: June 02, 2004, 11:24:40 AM

Hatebreed is 100% hardcore - just had to throw that in. :P

On a complete aside, I was doing my industrial/goth show at college and someone called in requesting Goatwhore. I was like, what the fuck are you babbling about? Looked it up. Real band. Apologized on the air, felt like an asshole.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 02, 2004, 12:08:47 PM

BLS is a great band, I have a great deal of respect for Zakk. Hell, if there's anyone I tend to emulate, it'd be him. All about integrity, good times, and great music.

Plus, he bitched out Ozzy for the album with all the co-writers, saying something to the effect of "I'm not playing this gay Dave Grohl piss". I like Dave Grohl ok, but he doesn't have the balls necessary to write a good Sabbathy tune. Zakk keeps Oz grounded in his metal roots while being able to branch out.

By COC, do you mean Corrosion of Conformity? Great band, and tangentially, so is Down.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 02, 2004, 02:25:44 PM

My eyes sort of roll up in my head when music starts to get overly classified (IMO).  Like black metal, death metal, thrash metal... umm... okay.  Not that much of a purist I guess.

I am NOT attacking ANY of the bands listed here, as I don't even recognize most of them.  Except metallica, and I never really liked ANY of their music before or after the black album.

My problem with a lot that stuff is I have SO grown past the "cartoony evil grover" voice (as it was so accurately labeled) that any similarity at all I can draw to it will pretty much instantly turn me off to the music.  Make my ears bleed all you want with the instrumentals, but once most of the vocalists start I either shut if off in revulsion or begin to laugh hysterically at the stupidity in a "What the fuck are they THINKING?  Does that sound GOOD to them?" sort of way.  Some of it just reminds me of rammstein crap.  Might as WELL be german for all you can tell.

It is such a barrier to entry for me.  Like in the old skinny puppy thread.  I have gone back and listened to some of their 30 second snippets on itunes but most of them are filled with evil grover to the point I can't take it as a serious attempt to make music.  And 'it is supposed to sound scary' works about as well as using that same line to defend the disney haunted mansion movie.  They are about on the same level of scary and stupid.  It is really too bad because I actually liked most of the instrumental until the fucking voice dragged it's way in.

The newer stuff seemed better with a higher pitch in the edited voice.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #27 on: June 02, 2004, 03:05:13 PM

My eyes sort of roll up in my head when music starts to get overly classified (IMO).  Like black metal, death metal, thrash metal... umm... okay.  Not that much of a purist I guess.

Yeah I get sick of the pigeon holing, though I am guilty of it myself. But in some cases it clearly serves a purpose when you describe something as "death metal with gore lyrics" I instantly know I want nothing to do with it (fyi that would be your Cannibal Corpse bands)

The newer stuff seemed better with a higher pitch in the edited voice.

Newer metal in general?  

I have heard album after album of great music but with voices that just make me cringe.  Cradle of Filth leaps to mind as a band who makes music I love but then puts the most annoying nasal screaming butthonk vocals over it all.

Alluvian what are some metal vocalists or vocal styles you can tolerate or even enjoy?

-fraeg

*edit*  Touche Schild Hardcore to me has always meant minor threat and RKL etc.  So when I hear Hatebreed or Integrity I think "hardcore + metal"   but times change

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 02, 2004, 04:52:20 PM

Quote from: Pig Destroyer

I graduated from Metallica fanboi on August 12th 1990(yes i remember the exact date the black album was released).  ...And Justice For All and Master of Puppets are pretty much untouchable as far as metal goes.  I hope that Cliff is haunting all their dreams.

That was actually, August 12, 1991.  Remember the add for it?  It didn't even say "Metallica" on it.  It was just a black page with the date.

However, speaking of 1990, the greatest speed metal album of all time was released in that year, but not by Metallica.  Megadeth's "Rust In Peace" is a "thrashterpiece" that has never been surpassed.
Pig Destroyer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 02, 2004, 09:06:20 PM

Rust in Piece, now THAT was a Metal album.

As far as newer stuff that reminds me of the thrashier side of things?

Dew Scented from Germany...my god, the talent.  They are the future of Thrash Metal without a doubt.  Definitely pick up Inwards and Impact.

Also, the new Machine Head is AWESOME.  It's called Through the Ashes of Empires and I highly recommend picking it up.

An old band that just reunited and released a new album is Exodus.  Their new album Tempo of the Damned is fucking brilliant.  Good to hear good old fashioned Bay Area thrash again.

In relation to the whole "Cookie Monster" vocals thing, after listening to Death Metal for 15 years now, I just can't picture any other kind of vocals to that kind of insane music.  It just doesn't make sense.  Aside from that, I think it sounds awesome.  Just listen to Vital Remains' song Dechristianize and you will hear brilliance.

For a good mix of Death and Clean vocals as well as superb songwriting I suggest picking up some Opeth.  Especially Still Life and Blackwater Park.

I could talk Heavy Metal music all fucking night so I better stop before this post becomes 400 pages long.

My knuckles are bleeding, on your front door...

~Pig Destroyer

http://www.wtfman.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: June 02, 2004, 09:15:32 PM

I'll too chime in and say "Rust in Piece" was fucking fantastic. It's nice to have something we can all agree on (other than Metallica is crap, which the world seems to agree on).
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 02, 2004, 10:03:43 PM

By the way, all the 'deth albums are being remixed/remastered.  I don't know if getting all the reissues will be worth it, but there are several albums that could use a good kick in the ass.

Here's a taste, the remixed/remastered Holy Wars...The Punishment Due.

http://www.megadeth.com/hwtpd/download.php

I have the remixed/remastered Killing Is My Business..., which was done a couple years ago and it's very worth owning.  The original production was horrible and you can hear so much more of everything on it.

Dave is going to release one last Megadeth studio album before closing up shop to do his solo thing (hah, as if Megadeth wasn't his solo thing anyway).  He got Chris Poland to come into the studio and cut some solos for the record.

Here's a video that a fan put together for one of the new songs called "Kick The Chair".

http://www.xdude.com/ktc/
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: June 02, 2004, 10:36:27 PM

I would kill for Danzig to get back with Doyle and the crew and remaster the yellow album, among others. I fucking hate the quality of recording on them, but they're so much better than the 'new' misfits crap.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #33 on: June 02, 2004, 11:24:44 PM

I like Dave Grohl ok, but he doesn't have the balls necessary to write a good Sabbathy tune. Zakk keeps Oz grounded in his metal roots while being able to branch out.

Have you checked out Probot? It's not bad..One of the better metal albums I've heard in a while. As for Sabbathy tunes, there's one on there he wrote with King Diamond on vocals (yes, King Diamond..Doing a pretty good Oz impression).

I would kill for Danzig to get back with Doyle and the crew and remaster the yellow album, among others. I fucking hate the quality of recording on them, but they're so much better than the 'new' misfits crap.

Definitely, but Jerry and Doyle blew any chance of that ever happening..What with sueing Glenn and taking away any rights he had with the "Misfits" name. His band, his songs...and they turned it into a fucking wrestling team. Need I mention the "action figures"?

The really sad thing is that the new, shitty Misfits, without Glenn still sound better than what passes as punk these days.
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: June 02, 2004, 11:29:37 PM

Quote from: Stray
Definitely, but Jerry and Doyle blew any chance of that ever happening..What with sueing Glenn and taking away any rights he had associated with the "Misfits" name. His band, his songs...and they turned it into a fucking wrestling team. Need I mention the "action figures"?

Hey now, I kinda liked the action figures. Didn't even know about the wrestling team. That's a 'goddamn son of a bitch.'
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: For all of you Metallica fans....that are left  
Jump to: