Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:38:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Wednesday: 3/1/06 9pm EST- Something different? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wednesday: 3/1/06 9pm EST- Something different?  (Read 7376 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: February 24, 2006, 02:10:16 PM

After two whole weeks of this, I was wondering what people would think about a change-up.

So far, we've hit a zone with the intention to crawl, set up the group(s), and then went about killing things. However, all of us seem to have these crazy-dormant quests, some of which I know I personally have a better chance of deleting than ever finishing.

That got me wondering:

Should we, leading up to Wednesdays, list a specific quest or three we want to resolve? This wouldn't need to be tied to a zone. But stating beforehand the quest(s) we want to resolve would help guide us in both an initial meeting point (because Sky loves these), and the path we want to follow.

Benefits: We get to complete stuff in our Quest log, for fabulous cash and prizes. If we want to plan it here, I don't think that'd be an issue for us. Of every guild I've ever been in, we have the highest ratio between members and forum posters (for obvious reasons), to the point where almost nobody is out of the loop.
Downsides: May feel too contrived and planned, and why spend one night a week doing something we're doing all nights of the week anyway?

What do you all think?
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 03:15:54 PM

Don't know that this is needed.  Typically the only quests people would need much help on are the Heroic rated ones, one one which take you into a dungeon full of ^up mobs like Blackburrow, Stormhold and the like.  That being the case, picking a place will usually also serve the purpose of completing a bunch of quests for those attending (unless they have to mentor down or something). 

Sure there are the occasional overland Heroic quests way above your level you could use some help completing (speaking of which anyone want to help me kill a group of lvl 27 rotstuffed scarecrows? so pumkins can grow in peace :-p )

But trying to have any semblance of oraganization to who's quests to pick to do them remotely efficently sounds like herding cats.

I'm more in favor of exploration type quests where we could hare off to somewhere a lot of people have never been to before.  Like say the crypts under Vermins Snye which is beneth the Sewers, or Firemyst Gully or any of the pocket instances.  There are tons of little zones tucked away all over this game.

Xilren

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 03:40:23 PM

Well, we all have those heritage and hallmark quests that will require a decent force to rock. Why don't we all compare notes on who needs what and where and then hit it that way?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 04:52:56 PM

The Windstalker Rumbler is a 2 group heroic mob in Antonica.  The quest is in windstalker village - inspect a bookcase.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 07:47:33 PM

The Heroic quests are what I'd need help with. And I think I'm with Xil in that most of the time, if we just pick a spot like BB, we'll take care of those.

Of course, I could use Freeport based help finishing my Fallen Gate quest, because I despeartely want to get in this dungeon.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 04:36:01 AM

Don't know that this is needed.  Typically the only quests people would need much help on are the Heroic rated ones, one one which take you into a dungeon full of ^up mobs like Blackburrow, Stormhold and the like.  That being the case, picking a place will usually also serve the purpose of completing a bunch of quests for those attending (unless they have to mentor down or something). 
Yep, that is the theory. Maybe it's just been affecting me, but I've been to SH twice and BB thrice and only made a dent in one of my quests (Elite Sabertooth Guards). SH once was a PUG and the other time we were chased out by the internet. BB once was PUG and twice with the guild, but I think once I had to bolt early for the kid and another time I can't recall.

But if everyone's happy with the exploration/crawl/solve-along-the-way thing, great! I personally have been having a ball, but wanted to see if anyone else had these dormant quests too.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 04:52:18 AM

Oh, and another thing: Haemish mentioned a need in Fallen Gate, and I realized this has been a largely Qeynosian affair.

Given the numbers we have hailing from the east, let me know if you guys want a change of venue. Instead of making you people come to my side of the world, I'll happily leave a trail of corpses on Orc Highway in return :)
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 05:11:21 AM

Not sure how many have it, but Splitpaw is also good for this.  It has several heroic zones (a heroic version of the arena, another where the group is scattered around the zone randomly and has to meet up to fight its way out.  Another where you have to fight off a spider queen, and a couple others.  The quests issued from the hub are instance specific, so you can guarantee everyone is on the same quest.  And since the mobs scale to the groups average level you can always get good xp and some decent loot.  Course, everyone has to have the adventure pack, and its preferable if you've gotten the teleportation stone so you don't have to clear through the upper tunnels to get there.

Only problem is, as mentioned, its a purchased add-on.  I think its something like 5 dollars, but has alot of solo content as well so you can use it without a group during the rest of the week.  Not trying to sound like a salesman, but it is the better of the two adventure packs in my opinion, and for players below 45 its more useful than the expansions.

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

- Walt Mosspuppet (Mike Arrington is wrong: Chrome OS won't matter)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 06:07:13 AM

Good idea. New thread time :)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 07:08:53 AM

Oh, and another thing: Haemish mentioned a need in Fallen Gate, and I realized this has been a largely Qeynosian affair.

Given the numbers we have hailing from the east, let me know if you guys want a change of venue. Instead of making you people come to my side of the world, I'll happily leave a trail of corpses on Orc Highway in return :)

FG is extremely fun, but also extremely deadly.  We would need a full group of mid to upper 20's to survive there.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 07:13:06 AM

A few of us did FG about a week ago and did a pretty good job of cleaning out the place 'til we got to the very bottom and got ambushed. I'd be game to hit it again.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 07:14:19 AM

I had a ball in that fallen gate group, nice dungeon crawl.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 07:15:09 AM

FYI I am working on my new Oasis Shadowknight.  Actually, he is a good amount of fun!  Already hit level 13 and plan on getting 20 next week.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 07:41:02 PM

Yeah, that was a good time in FG.  A couple other ideas:

Dragoon K'Naae of the Thexians.  Haven't done this one yet, but from the description this looks like one of the quickest, easiest heritage quests to do.  We get a group or two through this and we could probably get a guild level or two off it.

The Avatars of Betrayal.  We tried this guild raid zone at least once before and didn't do so well.  We can only attempt this once a week (there's a lockout timer on it) but I don't think we've attempted it in a while.  Could be fun now that we have more people and higher levels.

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 07:46:30 PM

Dragoon K'Naae of the Thexians.  Haven't done this one yet, but from the description this looks like one of the quickest, easiest heritage quests to do.  We get a group or two through this and we could probably get a guild level or two off it.

I'd been eyeing that one (on the list of things to do when I get back into the game / i.e. find time again). It's been bumped to the bottom of the list though because of:

Posted By: Midge Date: 02/13/06 at 5:14amPST Server: Splitpaw
I am doing the quest as of Feb 2006, and there are a couple of important things happening. The first is that the drops for both bears and undead are happening roughly 1 in 3, so be prepared to have to kill around 150 of each. The second thing is Nek is buggy, and halfway through combat the mobs re-set their health, run around, then attack again. Leads to one long, long quest.

I've no desire to kill 300 enemies.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006, 07:57:12 PM

If we get a couple groups worth of people and we could probably kill as many as needed in a fairly short amount of time.  Even if it does end up being 300 enemies that's still several hours quicker than most other heritage quests.  I just wouldn't want to drag anybody into quests like the Dwarven boots one that requrires waiting for various named mobs to spawn.

Most people here are still a little too low for what seems to be the next easiest heritage quest, in a week or so we could probably get at least one group of the higher levels through it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 07:58:32 AM

After that short time in Stormhold last night, I think we should go back there. That was a pretty cool dungeon.

I also just got my Fallen Gate key this weekend. I had to get to level 21 in order to take out all 3 of the heroic mobs needed and still almost died before getting my key. I was going to go there last night, but got pulled into the Stormhold group. I have no idea what it'd take for a Qeynosian to get the FG key.

Also, Valley of the Rogue Magi is a 15-25 level instanced zone that requires a quest to enter in Commonlands. It drops some nice shit, but it has a 2 hour lockout timer.

Did I mention I fucking hate lockout timers with a goddamn passion?

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 04:55:57 PM

So: FG or SH?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 07:14:50 AM

Cav is still logged out in the Stormhold library :)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 07:59:31 AM

Stormhold sounds fine to me, especially since I have the shortcut to Antonica now.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 11:09:31 AM

Stormhold sounds fine to me, especially since I have the shortcut to Antonica now.
What's that?

Edit: nevermind. I see where you explained it. Didn't think of Overrealm... and I have KoS too!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 02:30:37 PM

So, tonight. FG or SH?

I'm going to be logging off at 10pm-ish, trying to kick this flu/cold/death thing, plus have an early morning tomorrow. But I'd be up for either FG or SH, whatever works for everyone else.

And I don't want to spend 45 minutes ingame trying to figure it out  evil
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 02:40:33 PM

So, tonight. FG or SH?

I'm going to be logging off at 10pm-ish, trying to kick this flu/cold/death thing, plus have an early morning tomorrow. But I'd be up for either FG or SH, whatever works for everyone else.

And I don't want to spend 45 minutes ingame trying to figure it out  evil

I vote for SH.  I am only 20 so FG would be a wee bit hurtful to my noobishness.  Plus I need to get the Skeleton lore quest anyhow!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 02:41:15 PM

Doesn't Fallen Gate require an access quest for Qeynos folks? I know I had to fight through a bunch of fucking Sandstone titans and Thexians just to get in there.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 02:43:50 PM

Doesn't Fallen Gate require an access quest for Qeynos folks? I know I had to fight through a bunch of fucking Sandstone titans and Thexians just to get in there.

Only one person in the group requires access.  That is why it is so important to wait until everyone is at the entrance to someplace before going in <remembers Schild cussing at him for doing such a thing>.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 05:56:54 PM

I'm stuck doing some work so am going to be a bit late tonight. I'll catch up if there's room, but don't wait for me.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 09:11:07 AM

I'm stuck doing some work so am going to be a bit late tonight. I'll catch up if there's room, but don't wait for me.

We had a decent 5 man group going until a double group of mobs took us out (which is why the enounter based AOE spells didn't work too well).  By the time I rezed, which took me all the way back to character selection (god I hate that zoning issue), it appeared we were done for the evening.  Or at least people were all in differnt zones and not talking much :)  I'd grade it a B experience for shortness.

On the plus side, I completed the first step in the splitpaw access quest (box stacking and all) yesterday too.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 10:09:58 AM

We could have moved to a spot less challenging...

The room with the grate to the library has 23^^^ mobs that could be pulled safely.

I like to crawl, but it usually leads to wipes which leads to people quitting.  It gets a bit better with evac tho.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 10:13:43 AM

I love me some dungeon crawling. I might be up for another run at Stormhold Friday night or sometime this weekend. I'm not really sure.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Wednesday: 3/1/06 9pm EST- Something different?  
Jump to: