Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:46:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Conquer your... fear of this movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Conquer your... fear of this movie  (Read 5266 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: May 27, 2004, 10:12:33 AM

Oliver Stone's Alexander just released a trailer.

Now, I like Colin Farrell. But am I the only one who cringes at him in this trailer? Am I the only one who thinks this is going to suck? I just do not buy Farrell as Alexander. He doesn't have the Greek God good looks that I'm expecting, or the sophisticated look I expect from Alexander. He just doesn't look or sound the part.

And since Oliver Stone is barely qualified to direct a bad music video, how bad do you think this will be?

REAL. REAL. BAD.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 10:15:41 AM

You just have a nose for pain.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 10:27:07 AM

I'd rather see Will Ferrel at least he has more then either having his eyes wide open looking scared or scowling looking ticked off.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 10:34:21 AM

Well, you have to hand it to the movie companies, just when I thought they'd run out of comics to bastardize, they just start throwing their full unholy weight into ruining epics.

I may never go to the theater again.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 10:41:20 AM

This is what you get for watching Gladiator over and over again...

I have no sympathy.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 10:58:27 AM

As soon as I heard that Oliver Stone was directing I knew it'd be a pile of shit.  As far as Colin Farrell, I also doubt that he's right for the part.  The problem is that Alexander died damned young, so you need someone in their 20's/early 30's to play the part.  That rules out most of the actors that could carry the weight of the role.  In my opinion Jude Law would probably be their best bet.  Yeah, he doesn't look Greek, but then Alexander wasn't a Greek, he was a Macedon (Bosnia/Herzegovina area).
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 11:01:20 AM

Well if they were going for Greek looking they missed the boat with an Irish dude.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 11:01:50 AM

Jaqiun (sp) Phoenix with a bleach job should have done the job. He's perfect for it.

Ferrel is too female for this role.

unbannable
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 11:02:16 AM

Well, I mean it does have Hannibal Lecter. That's good for something, right?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 11:19:18 AM

Hell, Kilmer would have been a better fit for Alexander. Jude Law, though I'm not all that hip on him, would have been a better choice look-wise.

Farrell makes a better savage than civilian.

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 11:22:03 AM

I'm not so sure. We don't have any Greek God types in the industry anymore. I mean back in the day Cary Grant could've taken that role in the blink of an eye. Today, not so much.

Unfortunately epic = money, big actors = money, so what's that? Money * Money = MONEYZ. Oh NOES, the taste of America is at steak. Bleh.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 11:42:37 AM

Alexander to the troops: "WE'RE GOING STREEEEAKING!!!!11!!"
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 11:56:29 AM

I think I might of died if Will Farrell had made a cameo.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 06:56:21 PM

I wonder if they're going to leave out the parts where Alexander had homosexual relations with his buddies.  I kind of laughed when the preview said "Lover" and showed a girl.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 07:08:35 PM

Quote from: Teleku
I wonder if they're going to leave out the parts where Alexander had homosexual relations with his buddies.  I kind of laughed when when the preview said "Lover" and showed a girl.

Well, if they were going for authenticity they'd pretty much need to slap an NC-17 on it; except for a breastplate the Greeks were practically naked from the waist down when they went into battle.

But yeah, they should include the homosexual aspect to it, the love of his life was basically his man-servant/slave.  Unfortunately, actually showing that part of antiquity would squick out too many dudes and be box office poison.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 11:51:25 PM

I wonder if they're going to leave out the parts where Alexander had homosexual relations with his buddies.  I kind of laughed when the preview said "Lover" and showed a girl.

Really. I know it sounds ridiculous box-office-wise, but I think Alan Cumming would have been a better choice. Agreed on Jude Law too. Not very many fit the role of megalomaniacal king/homosexual like those two, without appearing weak or "frolicking" like the term "fag" usually suggests. I think it's about that time when Colin Farrell just goes away. Maybe this film will do it.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 06:11:49 AM

Alexander was bisexual.

Alexander married several princesses of former Persian territories: Roxana of Bactria; Statira, daughter of Darius III; and Parysatis, daughter of Ochus. However his greatest emotional attachment is generally considered to have been to his companion, and possibly lover, Hephaestion. He also took as lover one of Darius' minions, the eunuch Bagoas, as Plutarch tells us. Roxana eventually gave birth to the boy Alexander IV "Aegus", putatively his son.

Bruce
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 07:09:42 AM

Quote from: SirBruce

Alexander was bisexual.

Alexander married several princesses of former Persian territories: Roxana of Bactria; Statira, daughter of Darius III; and Parysatis, daughter of Ochus. However his greatest emotional attachment is generally considered to have been to his companion, and possibly lover, Hephaestion. He also took as lover one of Darius' minions, the eunuch Bagoas, as Plutarch tells us. Roxana eventually gave birth to the boy Alexander IV "Aegus", putatively his son.

Bruce

I seriously doubt the bisexual angle, those marriages were undoubtedly for political/dynastic gain, and not because he felt any kind of burnin' love for the ladies.  When you're an emperor you need an heir, so he probably did what he had to do to make that happen.

This is all academic anyway, no one will ever know for certain but every account I've ever read about Alexander doesn't exactly point to him being a raging ladykiller.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 08:55:26 AM

Whether Alexander was flamingly gay or ambiguously bisexual, neither would play in an Oliver Stone movie, despite being a part of the truth. Teh fags don't draw boffo box office from hetero men.  

Cummings would have been a great Alexander, as he's one of the most chameleon-like actors I've ever seen. He's just able to play such a range of roles, and he could look the part.

Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 10:50:15 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Whether Alexander was flamingly gay or ambiguously bisexual, neither would play in an Oliver Stone movie, despite being a part of the truth. Teh fags don't draw boffo box office from hetero men.  

Cummings would have been a great Alexander, as he's one of the most chameleon-like actors I've ever seen. He's just able to play such a range of roles, and he could look the part.

Nevermind the fact that none of his movies ever deal with true, real, historical events. His movies are on the same level as the Chronicles of Narnia as far as fantasy adventure stories go.

unbannable
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 28, 2004, 12:03:35 PM

Alexander was part of the military-industrial group that killed JFK.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Conquer your... fear of this movie  
Jump to: