Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Oasis or Lucan- Choice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oasis or Lucan- Choice  (Read 4456 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: February 23, 2006, 02:32:46 PM

I think we have a decision to make yet again on Servers.

Last time it was whether to stay with the migration to Oasis from Steamfont. For all the right reasons we stayed.

Now we're faced with a bigger challenge: The server stability sucks. I don't care why it isn't stable. I just know that it is. And it's pissing people off, people who are cool and we all enjoy being around and want to continue to be around.

We're faced with two main options:

• Stick it out and hope for the best on Oasis. As I said in the other thread, we've all played on poorly-performing servers. Sometimes they've gotten fixed. Sometimes we just dealt. Downside: inevitable guild fracturing as some migrate away.
  • Move to Lucan. I mention Lucan because that's where Cheddar went, Sky has characters, and a few others rolled on. It's also, more importantly, not a server that was recently merged. According to my calculations and based on what has transpired of late on Oasis, I'm thinking not being a merge server is good. Downside: We're all rerolling unless one thinks paying the fee for a transfer is worth it (it wouldn't be for me). Guild fracturing as some don't move
I don't want to see the guild split over this. Inevitably, one group will be more active than the other, and we don't have enough active people to prevent one group from feeling left out.

I'd like to stay together. I personally don't mind sticking it out on Oasis; however, I'm confident I could bang out another level 21 something (probably Wizard this time) 14 Scholar in far less time than it took the first time, so I wouldn't be completely put off by moving.

If we decide to collectively move to Lucan, I'd like to see that happen like now. This way we all level together, we all have different skills that complement eachother, we get to form our own guild micro-economy quickly, and all that.

But whatever we do, I would like to do it together. Any MMORPG sucks purely alone in my opinion, and I like the people of Bat Country too much to see it splinter. I know I sometimes take this stuff too seriously, but these are not just games to be played. They're to be shared, even informally.

So, please post your thoughts. I'd like to keep a running tally and maybe have a final vote by Tuesday the 28th. Of course, people who move to Lucan beforehand are an assumed for-move vote :)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 02:38:00 PM

I'm staying on Oasis. It seems more stable today.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 02:41:46 PM

I am hoping our glorious Gods (Sony) offer a free move soon.  I am not going to issue a trite "OMG I QUITS F SONY!!!!!111" post, because, well, I am not.  What I would like to happen is to be able to play.  

I dunno, I am not good at wording posts.  I am heading to class and will read what people think when I return tonight. 

If Oasis magically becomes less crowded and stable (Those Antonica instances have been the suck) then I may stay.  I will tag team both servers depending on stability and my want.  FYI, I will be logged in a lot but AFK.  I am trying to move some stuff and am out of room in my bank/house vault, so will be on vendor status.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 02:42:59 PM

Staying on Oasis.  I had seen a noticeable performance improvement in the short time since the move occured.    Perhaps the server downtime has hit people who play more hours than I do harder, but there have been very few periods that I couldn't play that weren't scheduled downtime events (even if I didn't check to see until after the server was down).  And I haven't run into the "overcrowded" problems yet either.

Moving sucks; all the boxes, and packing, and then the inevitable "honey, which box did we put the kids in?"

Xilren
PS It's been what, all of two weeks since the merge?  Patience grasshopper...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:48:43 PM by Xilren's Twin »

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 02:45:21 PM

I'd listen if there were another free move, but I'm not doing the 1-20 grind again, no matter how good I am at it at this point.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 02:50:58 PM

Staying.
ALso, if a game is so bad I have to jump servers, I am not sure why I should be giving them money.

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 03:02:18 PM

ALso, if a game is so bad I have to jump servers, I am not sure why I should be giving them money.

Well stated.  I've rerolled a few times and have gotten to a point where I either have to choose to deal with the increased populations or simply walk away.  For now, walking away is the best choice.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 03:14:51 PM

Thought you walked away already? :)

Otherwise, I'm going to stay with Oasis as well. I'd love for a free transfer if that ever became an option, but I am concerned the servers are all Heavy population now. So I don't know if that's ever going to be the case again.

I really wish these tech problems occured last week when we could have moved away. Odd they started this week.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 03:23:40 PM

Darniaq,

I stopped playing last weekend.  It wasn't due to the technical issues, I understand that those can happen.  I left because the crowding made the game less fun and there are too many other choices I have for my time. 

If the population issues resolve, I may come back. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 04:29:24 PM

As I've said elsewhere I'm not going anywhere.  It's been noted that there's been a lot of work done on the servers recently, and I'm sure there's also been the typical post-expansion release issues.  When the servers have been up I haven't noticed having any more lag or disconnects than I had back on Steamfront.  Haven't really seen much overcrowding either.

It's common sense that any sort of a move now would split the guild as there are a lot of people who won't want to start over.  I don't want to get into stupid shit like guild politics since that has a habit of fucking up otherwise fun games, I just don't think this should even be made an issue.  If someone wants to go play on another server they can do it without making a big deal about it.  I just think it's bad form for a guild leader draw attention to himself moving to another server in multiple threads presumably to get other people to follow him because it can only end up having a divisive effect on the guild.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 04:49:09 PM

I don't matter, but why not mess with the PvP server in those cases Oasis has some transitory problems?

That's what I do.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 05:09:08 PM

Im staying for the moment, but im getting closer to the why pay for pain point, Ive heard Sony say were on it before and the results aren't fun. If there was a good place to go I'd be gone. But there isn't. Im not really discouraged about 1 server shutdown, not that its a good thing. Tonight's play has been good as lag goes. I really wish lasts nights group could continue, we were grand. The experience of last nights group is a perfect example of why i play this type of game. It was a rush, it was intense and we owned all that we saw.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 05:28:33 PM

I don't matter, but why not mess with the PvP server in those cases Oasis has some transitory problems?

That's what I do.
I think a few are doing that. However, without a strong consistent group, it's mostly soloing and sometimes grouping. On a PvP+ server in a class/level-based game, this can be a frustrating experience for folks who'd like a casual good time on occasion.

Quote from: Nebu
I left because the crowding made the game less fun and there are too many other choices I have for my time. 
Understood. If I could rewrite history, I'd work it so we all started on Lucan, or any server that didn't get merged :)

Personally, this merge exposes an issue with how EQ2 handles instancing (imho and as previously ranted ;) ). This came up in beta too. Given the population across the game, I guess it wasn't a big enough issue for them to change how they do it. If I not only had the power to rewrite history, I also had the power to rewrite code, I'd make every indoor adventure zone work like WoW to a degree. For example, I'd leave SH level 1 public but make the other levels private.

Until that time though, well, so far it hasn't been a huge issue for me. But them, I'm only at level 21 and been to all of two instances. I did live through EQ1, but it's not something I'm very interested in repeating. I don't have the time like I did to fend off asshats and mobs at the same time.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 06:49:04 PM

Well call me stupid... I completely misread Cheddar's post in his Jesus thread, realizing he asked the exact same question I did.

Did I mention today sucked? Lemme explain... no. Lemme sum up: it sucked. All day course at work while trying to manage two high-profile (as in, high-mucky-muck involvement) projects while trying to manage teams on three others. Wrong day for training, I'll tell ya that!

So then I come on thinking it's time for a vote and missed that 27 posts in Cheddar's topic did that already.

Wonderful...
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 07:05:15 PM

As I've said elsewhere I'm not going anywhere.  It's been noted that there's been a lot of work done on the servers recently, and I'm sure there's also been the typical post-expansion release issues.  When the servers have been up I haven't noticed having any more lag or disconnects than I had back on Steamfront.  Haven't really seen much overcrowding either.

It's common sense that any sort of a move now would split the guild as there are a lot of people who won't want to start over.  I don't want to get into stupid shit like guild politics since that has a habit of fucking up otherwise fun games, I just don't think this should even be made an issue.  If someone wants to go play on another server they can do it without making a big deal about it.  I just think it's bad form for a guild leader draw attention to himself moving to another server in multiple threads presumably to get other people to follow him because it can only end up having a divisive effect on the guild.

That was not the intent.  I posted that I was moving.  Then I got lots of people yelling at me yada yada.  If I go alone then so be it.  BTW, this is not really a guild like most guilds; its your guild.  Me being guild leader ONLY means jack and shit.  A little more jack then anything. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 07:15:03 PM

I think the big problem is you're jumping the gun. Nebu and I described that this problem would arise before. But then, after it happens you're all like, what I have to wait 4 days for shit to calm down? It's an expansion release. No one is ever prepared. Give it a few days. Read a book. Take a break. Think of it as a vacation. Come back and your old character will be fine and you'll get to play with everyone else. If you're still playing when the next expansion comes out, I assume you'll jump to a different server again due to your current one being loaded down? Jumping to a brand spanking new server with no people on it is one thing, jumping to another server before seeing what it's like after the tide goes out is a little....much.

But hey, I don't even have time to play at the moment, so listening to me is just nuts.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 07:50:24 PM

Yeah, I've detected a pattern.  Schild doesn't play MMO's unless he has writer's block.  Personally, I'd rather see him write than play if he can't manage both.  He's honing skills that may someday make him an easy mark for me to borrow money from.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 09:23:28 PM

Staying on Oasis for now. Not that it matters much anyhow as I think I've managed two hours of play in the past two weeks. God life is hectic sometimes.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 04:25:48 AM

I play on Antonia Bayle and it's not stable either. I think it's a gamewide issue.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 05:09:36 AM

Quote from: schild
jumping to another server before seeing what it's like after the tide goes out is a little....much.
That's why we're not. If these two threads showed anything, it's that most seem to either be fine with Oasis, or are willing to hang out until it gets better.

It's all good.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 06:29:44 AM

I'll probably visit Lucan now and then to chat to SPT but when I really leave Oasis, it'll probably be via cancellation to play the next big thing.  Right now I'm in a bit of an "off" mode and paying a wee bit of attention to my much neglected PS2.  And hanging out with the old hubby. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Oasis or Lucan- Choice  
Jump to: