Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:16:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: For those of you that play Midway Games.... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For those of you that play Midway Games....  (Read 5368 times)
schild
Administrator

on: February 23, 2006, 12:04:58 PM

MIDWAY ANNOUNCES DEAL WITH DOUBLE FUSION AND BROADENING OF IN-GAME ADVERTISING STRATEGY

Company Expands Commitment to Seamless Product Integration Through Dynamic In-Game Advertising Deal and Hiring of Key Executive

Chicago, Illinois, February 23, 2006 – Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY) announced today the broadening of its in-game advertising strategy with a multi-year multi-game deal with Double Fusion to provide dynamic, in-game advertising exclusively to select, upcoming Midway titles.  Midway and Double Fusion expect to be working together to integrate real-world ad-campaigns into multiple next generation titles, including Stranglehold, developed in collaboration with John Woo, and other products currently in development.  Under this agreement, the Midway titles are to incorporate Double Fusion’s dynamic ad-serving technology to serve advertising campaigns which will be sold by Double Fusion’s worldwide sales force.

“Along with our strategy to create immersive, engaging content, we believe that the technology to allow for dynamic, in-game advertising will add a sense of cultural relevance and context for the mass-market audience,” said Steve Allison, chief marketing officer, Midway.  “Our relationship with Double Fusion will not only add potential incremental revenue on top of our existing static ad placements, but allow us to work with a partner sensitive to game development and committed to making ad placements organic and credible.”

“Double Fusion’s unique approach will allow Midway to incorporate dynamic advertising into their leading properties, and benefit from the tremendous market interest advertisers have in reaching the video game audience,” said Elie Wurtman, chairman of Double Fusion.

Midway also announced it recently appointed Sarah McIlroy as director of in-game advertising and promotions for Midway Amusement Games, LLC, reporting directly to Midway’s chief marketing officer, Steve Allison.  Formerly with Atari and with more than 12 years of experience in promotions, marketing communications, and strategic partnership development, Ms. McIlroy will be responsible for developing relationships with advertisers and ensuring that products are presented in a way that enhances gameplay experience.

Mr. Allison remarked, “One of Midway’s core in-game advertising strategies is to infuse our games with cultural context through the integration of static in-game product placements. We believe static promotions in conjunction with dynamic advertising will represent an attractive revenue opportunity for Midway.  Sarah is arguably one of our industry's most experienced professionals in this emerging field, and we anticipate that she will manage the process for static ads as well as dynamic in-game ads with Double Fusion in an effort to maximize incremental revenue from our top titles.”

Maximize incremental revenue you say? At the cost of annoying players? BRILLIANT.

Hey man, got any zyme Diet Coke?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 12:32:40 PM

I don't think it will piss me off unless it gets to Mike Myers proportions, however it is still rather sad.  I would not really mind seeing brand-name items on a store shelf in game, or buying Remington bullets, or beating some prostitutes with a real Louisville Slugger, but large and unavoidable advertisements would make me punchy.

I'd like to think the revenue would trickle down and provide me with better games, but I'm not stupid.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 12:37:35 PM

I just hate the fact that suits at company's believe this is "positive" enough news that they send out PR.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 12:48:02 PM

Press releases are often for investors, of course, sort of advertising for people to buy stock... or to make the directors feel better about themselves.  Nobody ever prints my press releases; if they did, I think I'd be pretty pleased with myself.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 10:30:23 PM

In semi-related news:

Turbine Grants Midway North American Rights to Distribute The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™
http://lotro.turbine.com/index.php?page_id=20&pagebuilder[module]=article&pagebuilder[display_item]=8

The mind boggles at the advertising possibilities.

No I don't really think they will have in-game advertising in TLotRO, maybe...
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 11:05:48 PM

I don't know what would drive them to do that. I mean Midway. We're talking about a game so far off that the decision to publish it must have been made after a night of debauchery.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 12:18:56 PM

I sense the room was filled with people shrugging and saying "Why the hell not?", knowing it looked good on paper to ignorant investors while having a low likelihood of generating actual work.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 06:13:19 PM

I don't think it will piss me off unless it gets to Mike Myers proportions, however it is still rather sad.  I would not really mind seeing brand-name items on a store shelf in game, or buying Remington bullets, or beating some prostitutes with a real Louisville Slugger, but large and unavoidable advertisements would make me punchy.

I'd like to think the revenue would trickle down and provide me with better games, but I'm not stupid.

Wel the dev costs for games has already reached ridiculous proportions, so I can see them wanting to make as much back as possible, and maybe even some profit. The question is what games does Midway actually make that ads would fit in with.. or to put it another way, what games do they actually have?

Aside from that LoTR deal mentioned above, they have.. um.. Gauntlet, (NFL) Blitz & NHL Hits both of which billboards are fine for.. um.. San Fransisco rush is long gone.. I guess they can rez it and put up some billboards.. oh, Mortal Kombat.

hm.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: For those of you that play Midway Games....  
Jump to: