Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Crafting button mashing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crafting button mashing  (Read 5090 times)
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

on: February 21, 2006, 02:45:10 PM

OK, you react to events by pushing the button with a similar picture. At level 10 you get 2 of those. Inspection reveals that 1 helps progress and the other durability. Lets put reacting approatly aside i can handle that. You can push the buttons for effect when your not reacting. Again if you look at the descriptions 2 of those buttons only use power to push progress or durability. Im using the progress button until i lose about half a bar of the fourth durability, then i mash durability trying to hang on to the pristine combine. What are you doing if different and is it working for you?

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:48:27 PM

Well. Ok. When I craft I use the two + to progress ones and the one with the highest durability increase. And to be perfectly honest I just go in order, 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3. It's positively brainless. But it keeps my mind off the fact I'm crafting.

I've always loved all the parts of crafting EXCEPT the actual crafting part. No game has ever gotten it right for me.

Also, sometimes you just aren't going to be able to get pristine without some luck.
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:28:12 PM

For me, instead of "1 2 3 1 2 3...", I time it at the 4 second "events" that occur when crafting, and fire "1 2 3" after each event, unless the event triggered the need to use a specific skill.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 03:40:51 PM

So far I've just been using the function that adds 10 Durability (instead of the one that adds 15 and reduces speed by 30). After experimenting, I found the +15/-30 one slowed it down so much I ended up dipping below the fourth progress bar. Just using +10 Durability pretty consistently in the fourth. I would just refresh it whenever the buff expired (about 5 seconds).
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 04:07:44 PM

When doing a sub-combine that is not a primary component for another recipe, I mash the progress bars to get it over with.  For primary sub-components and finished goods, it depends on the recipes level relative to my tradeskill.  If its green I can usually get away with just pumping progress. 

If its even or higher I usually use just durability.  I don't mash one at every tick of the tradeskill cycle, just in response to events and when the durability starts dropping.  I usually react to durability drops immediately since you can lose large chunks of it on critical failures (especially if the recipe is yellow or more to you).  Remember also that you can pad the durability bar beyond what is visible (you can push it out with constant durability boosts to a point where you can eat several failures without the bar visible moving).  Not sure if there is a hard cap on how much durability you can stockpile like this. 

Also, if you use the two durability buffs that don't require power together you can gain durability most of the time (the percent failure on one of them will bite you from time to time but its usually a net gain overall).  I've done this before to bring combines back from 3rd level to completely full 4th level.  Your progress will slow to a crawl while you are doing it, but you can save the combine this way (I would personally only recommend doing them together when you are trying to save a combine from failure).  Otherwise, I would use just the one that requires power for durability to maintain it when necessary.

schild's point is also true.  There are times where you get several critical failures back to back and end up losing a level or more of durability when the progress is on the 4th bar.  Short of some lucky durability boosts or a critical success or ten you aren't going to save it.

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

- Walt Mosspuppet (Mike Arrington is wrong: Chrome OS won't matter)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 04:15:52 PM

Hey look, it's Chorulle!  Hey, Chorulle!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
hal
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 04:26:53 PM

Well I agree I cant get a predictable outcome. Heres another one. you mash the button trying to pump durability as an event happens and due to lag the game assumes that you just mashed your face against the keyboard and pressed the wrong key. I really like that one, i payed for this, I really need this thrown in my face, I like it hurt me more!! After 6 subcombines on a scroll I really need.  I get to watch it all just go down the drain.

I hate edits but sometimes a bit of punction helps make things readable, well at least more so.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:36:52 PM by hal »

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 04:27:29 PM

I remember him from SND's DAoC Guild.

"Me am play gods"
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 04:51:58 PM

And SWG, etc.  I've lurked around since LtM and UO.  As far as lag, nothing is going to help you on that.  I've noticed it more on Oasis then other servers, so I'm thinking the merge might be related.  And supposedly alot of this pain will die when they finally kill sub-combines on the remaining tradeskill levels.  Not sure how long after KoS launch they are looking at, but I hope its quick.  Trades like sage are especially painful with the mind numbing amount of sub-combines needed for a single spell.

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 04:59:39 PM

I do pretty much the same thing but slightly tweaked so that I don't run out of power since when I craft I go for a fair length of time.  I use all three +progress, then the two +progress that don't use power, then all three again and so on.

The only couple of things I can add is that events are actually really good, especially the "major failures", be sure to spam all three buttons when they happen because they really move the bars.  Also if you are crafting something really important that you don't want to screw up wait to get a near perfect first (out of the four) bar.  The first one is always the hardest to get and you can cancel at any point during it and all you lose is the fuel so if you haven't finished the first bar and you are already missing half of the durability on the fourth bar, cancel.  Be certain to cancel before the "round" is over because if you hit cancel right as the first bar completes you are stuck with the poorest quality item.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 09:11:48 PM

Weird, I know the name Chorulle from somewhere, but I just can't remember where.  It will come to me during the commute and I will careen into a ditch.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 06:31:12 AM

Can I have your stuff?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 06:56:07 AM

I'm decent at the crafting minigame. For lower level stuff, I mash the +progress stuff. For most things, though, I do a balance depending on how progress is going. I'll do some +progress, then +durability when it starts getting low. Sometimes I play with a combination of the three buttons available, like 2 +progress (the pure + and the +progress/-success%) and 1 +durability (+dur/-prog).

Don't forget to scrap a bad combine at times, too. If you haven't made the first level product and get hit with three -50 durability events in a row, scrap it. You'll just lose the fuel, no components. (oops, just read Miasma saying the same thing, oh well)
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 07:15:38 AM

No faceplants into a ditch now.  You probably recognize the name from Eve (I go by the same handle there).

UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 07:16:45 AM

It gets much easier once you get to level 30 and get your second set of durability buffs. At that point you'll usually have 2 that are +20 durability and one that is +15 durability. Once of those will also be -progress so you can slow down a combine when you need to get durability back up.

If I'm going for pristine final combines I use the following method:

Until first bar of progress is full I spam these for each round after checking for a reaction:
+Durability, -Power
+Durability, -Success %
+Progress, -Durability

Once I fill the first progress bar I go all out progress as you usually have enough durability banked by that point to get you through the end. This works about 95% of the time. When crafting rares I will use durability buffs througout just in case.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 11:59:03 AM

Quote from: Sky
Don't forget to scrap a bad combine at times, too.
If I read the tread correct, you can cancel a combine right up until just before the end right? Reason I ask is because I'm sometimes hit with one of those chancey things where I might... just... make it!
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 12:31:14 PM

No, you have to cancel before you fill the first progress bar. Otherwise you will cancel and end up with a "crude" level item and use raws, subs, and fuel.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 12:32:19 PM

Can I have your stuff?

I can't stop you if I am in a box, can I?  You'll have to take it up with the wife... who will probably say "yes".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 12:59:04 PM

No, you have to cancel before you fill the first progress bar. Otherwise you will cancel and end up with a "crude" level item and use raws, subs, and fuel.
Thanks for clarifying!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 01:48:52 PM

Can I have your stuff?

I can't stop you if I am in a box, can I?  You'll have to take it up with the wife... who will probably say "yes".

If you manage to survive, can I have the box?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 10:47:40 AM

Can I have your stuff?

If you manage to survive, can I have the box?

Negotiate with the guy at the funeral home.  I told my wife she can just chuck me over the fence in the back yard, but I think she will end up roasting me and putting me on the mantle.

hal
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 05:06:52 PM

You guys are the cats meow, totally the bees knees. A summary of what I learned.

1) You can have more durability than the bar shows
2) The thought process that you can slow down the process so you have more time to buff durability was a paradine shift for me
3) Push all three durability buttons ( don't that work good!!)

You kids are boss. Over

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Crafting button mashing  
Jump to: