Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:44:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Preview: Field Commander 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preview: Field Commander  (Read 11843 times)
schild
Administrator

on: February 19, 2006, 09:54:37 PM

...and then some.

Yes, I know, I'm all over the map on this one.

Edit: I understand the need for previews with games that are completely innovative, like the original Katamari Damacy. So let's go down that route of debate.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 10:31:12 PM

Holy shit I can see you whipping yourself while you type that. It sounds like you are trying to atone for something.

Yes, previews are like one of those big bags of potato chips that look flashy, huge, and puffed up when you look at the outside. You think, look at all those chips in there! Then you open the bag, the air rushes out, and the bag is half-empty. I don't buy chips anymore for this reason...and because they make you fat. Now I'm hungry.

But oh yes, the point was that this is about previews, and the fact that they sucker us into something that delivers nothing. Also, that the publishers have their fists full of money crammed up certain critics asses so far that they can make them dance and speak like happy hand puppets. Do we really need more hand puppets? How much money are we talking about? How much would it take for most of us to sell out? The sad part is I'm not sure our collective price is very high.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 10:37:34 PM

I'm not trying to atone for anything. Next time I'm going to discuss the product instead of the potential though. Like I did right there with Field Commander.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 05:43:01 AM

Hooray !

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 07:14:09 AM

I'm not trying to atone for anything.

That's not what your article says. Did you shave the top of your head and wear a hair shirt for this one?

Oh yeah, the preview of the game. Sounds good. Since I've been playing FFTA on a borrowed DS lately, this reminds me that I might want to pick up either a DS or SP and get Advance Wars.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 08:05:08 AM

Holy shit I can see you whipping yourself while you type that. It sounds like you are trying to atone for something.

Yes, it does. And no, you don't, because reading comprehension is fucking hard for some. Not you, Paelos, but tools like Posiden and others.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 06:20:20 AM

So robot Jesus but needs more cowbell?  I like innovation so I may try it out, even with SOE rugburns and all. 

Thx for preview.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 01:14:12 AM

Here is the thing: People reduce previews and hype to essentially bribes, but it is much more than that.

I have no doubt that some people can be bribed and will directly trade hype for time around models, airplane trips, sandwhiches, etc. But then there are a lot of other factors to consider, including people being in a good mood because they were treated nicely, them liking the makers of a game, being overly excited about the game.

I don't think it's fair to say that SOE bribed you to pimp out SWG. But they did excite you, treat you well, and put you in a favorable mood.

Honest previews take discipline. The video game journalism industry is full of fanboys and tends to be young and immature.

The real problem here is that you can't take hype back. Once a game reaches a certain hype level it will sell a certain amount regardless of that the reviews say. That is why I hate things like "the best games of 2006!" or "games we are really looking forward to!" Who gives a shit what you speculate the best games of 2006 will be, or what you are looking forward to?

I'm looking forward to the next Zelda, but it might be total shit. I won't know for a while. But there are magazines that will run "best games of 2006" as a cover story.

Edit: Let me also say that "it's a preview so it's not fair to judge" makes no sense. The previewers can say "for only halfway through the dev cycle this game looks far better than most" or "3 weeks away from release this game still has major problems." They can preview in context to where the game is in the release cycle. And as a developer if you think your game will get a bad preview then don't put it out for preview.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 01:16:25 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 01:20:31 AM

So robot Jesus but needs more cowbell?  I like innovation so I may try it out, even with SOE rugburns and all.

It's not anywhere near as light hearted as Advance Wars. It's much more the adult game.

Margalis, spot on with the last sentence of your post. I'm actually working on compiling an assload of previews from the last game informer, some recent Gamespot and IGN stuff, and possibly some other places just to point out the glaring amount of bullshit. The last issue of game informer was obscene. It's probably like that every month but then, with most previews I'm more apt to look at pictures than care about words (because I'm shallow hal. Or because I don't trust anybody. Take your pick). I may have to wait until I see the next issue. Which is coming out in about 2 weeks.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 08:36:07 AM

with most previews I'm more apt to look at pictures than care about words

The pictures are the only reasons to bother looking at previews.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Preview: Field Commander  
Jump to: