Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:06:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Buying Champions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying Champions  (Read 8245 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: February 19, 2006, 09:26:51 AM

So I got the DOF expansion, and wanted to take part in the sparse Arena action.

Where the hell do I buy Arena Champions? The game said something about merchants near the Arena entrance in West Freeport, but I see no such merchant. Any ideas?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 10:24:54 AM

I don't know the answer but I felt compelled to acknowledge you.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 10:40:11 AM

You're so thoughtful.  Hello Kitty

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 12:42:26 PM

Aside from the Arena Champs that are AWOL, was there anything else about DoF you found compelling? Trying to decide whether to get it or KoS for the pseudo AAXP.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 03:07:00 PM

You get a pet monkey.  evil

I got a number of vet/expansion rewards for getting it, including a bottle that when you rub it, it takes you into this little pocket zone straight out of "I Dream of Jeannie" with a few djinns in it. You could talk to them and they tell you stories.

But when I went to the entry zone, every mob was level 46. Content wise, other than the arena, it's all 45+ level stuff.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 03:44:32 PM

I got a full level at 25 just exploring the place though.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:57:15 PM

I got a full level at 25 just exploring the place though.

Yeah. If you can be sneaky, the discovery experience at low levels is rather nice. I can't imagine that it would even nick the experience bar at the appropriate levels.

As to the champions, I haven't had the chance to check out the arena action just yet. Will try to do so on Wednesday when I get some play time.

And yes, I know I've been scarce, but I am still playing. I have not cancelled. I had rolled up a Bruiser and then a Guardian in the hopes of helping out the guild with tankage, but after this evening and due to my random, casual gameplay, I'm probably just better off keeping up with Wikybiky, so back to the Dirge I go. See you on Wednesday.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 02:00:29 AM

When it says there are champions on a merchant by the arena entrance, it means the Maj arena entrance (the city in the centre of DoF).

Other than that there are quests and so on.

I think you can also win some by killing an absolute shit load of specific mobs.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 08:10:08 AM

When it says there are champions on a merchant by the arena entrance, it means the Maj arena entrance (the city in the centre of DoF).

Yeah, I discovered that. Then I went and tried to walk to Maj'Dul, simply because I didn't realize Honest Ali had a fucking magic carpet sitting right beside him that I could use like a fucking griffon. I died. A LOT. The Orc Highway is my graveyard. Yes, they called a zone the Orc Highway. I LOL'ed. Then I screamed because I couldn't sneak through the asstons of orcs they have on that highway. Then my lovely wife showed me Ali's carpet and I swore.

Then I wandered around Maj'Dul for about half a fucking hour trying to find the damn arena. Hey, EQ2, you're mapping feature (even with EQ2 Maps) is shitty shit shit shit shit. Monkey shit. Boatloads of monkey shit. Fix it, fuckers.

I did finally find it, and bought all the champions I could, including a Fearknight (Amygdylan warrior from Plane of Fear), A Tae Ew hunter (lizardman?), a Frozen Magi and something else I forget. I fought in the arena for a few minutes with my fear knight, and was distinctly reminded of City of Heroes type of arena battles. I got a kill or two in a team deathmatch.

We should do some Bat Country team matches. It's actually good distracting fun. Just take the carpet to Maj'Dul, don't run it. Each of the champions was only 6s too, so it isn't like it costs much.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 09:10:51 AM

Yes, they called a zone the Orc Highway. I LOL'ed.

This is funny.  Are you sure these people work for SOE?  If it wasn't for EVE, I'd probably be in EQ2, denying that I ever swore to never play a SOE game again.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 10:08:32 AM

From what I can tell, the EQ2 live team is as far removed from any other people that have ever worked for SOE ever. Once they got released and didn't set the world on fire, they started to make the game into a good product.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 10:36:31 AM

We should do some Bat Country team matches. It's actually good distracting fun. Just take the carpet to Maj'Dul, don't run it. Each of the champions was only 6s too, so it isn't like it costs much.

This sounds like a very fun idea.

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 11:15:07 AM

That could be fun.

How do Champions work? You buy and control? New ability set? When does the match end? How do matches start? Are there people there all the time? I could look this shit up, but I'd rather hear it from folks who've played.

KoS is this Wednesday, and except for the PvP, DoF doesn't have much for me. But I'd pick it up if enough others did to give it a go.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 11:47:34 AM

This sounds like a very fun idea.
We should get the guild together, in general, more often.  In the 2 weeks I have been in, I have been in 3 guild groups and they were all good experiences, even the boat of death last night.  Hell even the pick-up groups have been alright.  Seems most of fucktards have moved to greener pastures.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 12:18:43 PM

That could be fun.

How do Champions work? You buy and control? New ability set? When does the match end? How do matches start? Are there people there all the time? I could look this shit up, but I'd rather hear it from folks who've played.

KoS is this Wednesday, and except for the PvP, DoF doesn't have much for me. But I'd pick it up if enough others did to give it a go.

From the little bit I did:

You buy the champions, who can also be used to decorate your house or something. I'm not sure if you have to have the champion statue on you when you do the arena.

You click on the arena door (and yes, each arena is different - there isn't one big instanced arena connecting all the arenas, unfortunately). You are given a list of games, like an FPS server browser, or you can create your own. Choose one, and join. If it's a champion battle, you get to choose your champion from the ones you have available. You then control your champion like your normal avatar. It has its own set of abilities. The Fearknight had 5 on the hotbar (including melee attack). I don't know if you get more skills or if your champions level. In the arena, there are potions that restore health I think. In the case of the game I played, it was a team deathmatch, so if I was on the red team, the blue potions healed me, and vice versa. You keep fighting and respawning (in a safe area) on death until the victory conditions are met. The one I was in last night was first team to 50 kills. I didn't have time to stay around for a full match.

It was very much "throwaway fun" though you do get titles the more you win, and wins can get you better champions I think.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 12:28:15 PM

That does sound pretty cool. Diversional mini-game, like a /gems that has some relevance.

Quote from: tazelbain
We should get the guild together, in general, more often.  In the 2 weeks I have been in, I have been in 3 guild groups and they were all good experiences, even the boat of death last night.  Hell even the pick-up groups have been alright.  Seems most of fucktards have moved to greener pastures.
Our second Wednesday night "weekly" event is in two nights. 9pm EST at this point, and we're thinking probably Stormhold. We all have a good time as a guild, even wipes, because it's cathartic to play with people you're otherwise screaming at on the forums, all day during work ;) (just kidding... we've stopped using CAPS long ago...)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 12:58:04 PM

PLAY EQ2 NOW, YEGOLEV!

Fuck you.  You guys are on Steamfont?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 01:10:34 PM

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 01:20:12 PM

It's Oasis, Not Steamfont
Yes, It's Oasis, Not Steamfont
It's been a long time gone, Steamfont
Why did Steamfont get the works?
That's nobody's business but those SOE jerks...

No, it doesn't scan well, or even at all.  Sorry.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 01:23:23 PM

Your comedy doesn't mean I am not feeling sick/angry/violated as I plan to subscribe.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 02:11:04 PM

It's something we are all having to deal with.  Except Poptart.

"Me am play gods"
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 02:18:14 PM

Your comedy doesn't mean I am not feeling sick/angry/violated as I plan to subscribe.

Your mama felt the same way in bed, last night.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #22 on: February 20, 2006, 05:22:20 PM

Proof that I almost totally suck:

http://www.yegolev.com/images/eq2-proof.jpg

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 05:57:11 PM

Well I hope you ain't trying to get in right now. Either the login server is hosed, or the server itself crashed. Whatever it is, it ain't working at the moment.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: February 20, 2006, 10:58:04 PM

Patching.  Oh, the patching.  Then, downtime.  There's hope for me yet.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 12:09:46 PM

You could play Merriweather Farm while you wait.  :-D

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 12:19:07 PM

You could play Merriweather Farm while you wait.  :-D

And I have.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 12:24:45 PM

What's Nostromo?

Besides the ship in aliens and Joseph Conrad Novel?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 12:36:03 PM

What's Nostromo?

Besides the ship in aliens and Joseph Conrad Novel?

Does this help?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 12:40:20 PM

I have one of those. It's not bad. I just don't find it does much for me...
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 21, 2006, 12:47:26 PM

I have one of those. It's not bad. I just don't find it does much for me...

It's a great thing to have for crafting... but that would be wrong.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 21, 2006, 12:54:58 PM

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. I'm certainly not experienced enough to know how that'd help. Right now, I pick a scroll I want to make (mostly what I'll use, sometimes what I think may sell), and then do the old reaction game until durability gets low enough I need to spam that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 08:20:03 AM

I did a test last night.

You must have your champions in your inventory in order to participate in a champion PVP arena battle. You can leave them in your house as pets, but if you want to fight, take them with you.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 11:08:15 AM

I got an Aviak hatchling champion last night from the expansion.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 10:26:34 PM

The Belkin Nostromo, I really only use that for EVE because I haven't applied myself to creating profiles for other things.  One button toggles all mining lasers, and the high/med slots are all individually keyed.  Autopilot is on the Dpad, as is full stop.  It is pretty helpful since EVE is so context-menu driven, too bad there is a limited number of things to bind to keys.

I am looking around for some character names so I can cyber with you all in EQ2.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Buying Champions  
Jump to: