Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:31:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Joining the fair 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joining the fair  (Read 6251 times)
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

on: February 13, 2006, 05:17:19 PM

I decided to join a couple of weeks ago, in particular after the server consolidation announce, but I got the game only today. I was going to wait for the expansion and start directly on the PvP server but considering I didn't like the ruleset and that the expansion doesn't include DoF, I decided to get the previous one and now I'm in (sort of, still in deep patching).

I've read a lot about the game in the last two weeks but I'm asking for more direct informations:
- Can I join the fair?
- On which server are you?
- What's the average level range of your group that I should work to reach?
- Which mini-pack I should get first (when I play a game I want it complete, so I'm asking where the 2 mini-packs join with the rest of the game)? Have they "system' features beside content that I may use?
- What the hell is "City Ecology" on the optional download thing?
- Suggested UIs? (I usually want to retain the look of the base game, so nothing futuristic of crazy. I'm just asking if there are some usable addition that I'd need.)
- Freeport or Queynos?
- Which class? I'm going to read more about this before choosing. I'd start with something you could use and currently need. This is my priority list: Groupability/desirability, not too terrible to solo when I have to, one of the least used would be nice. NO FRIGGIN PETS!
- How races affect the classes? I need to research and min/max before I take a decision?

About the class I was looking to an healer or scout. When I say scout I mean a Bard, since I expect the rogue classes to be inflated as always. As a preference I like to play some crazy stuff. Something odd that could play slightly different from all I played till today. "Utility" is always nice and I'd like diversity over specialization.

Dirge? Troubadour? (I'd prefer the first) Or an healer?

I think I can exclude tanks and casters since I expect those roles to be already inflated while I'm looking for a role that is in demand.

EDIT: I'm narrowing down my choice to Dirge or Defiler. But I'm still open to other suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 05:24:07 PM by HRose »

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 05:58:07 PM

a lot about the game in the last two weeks but I'm asking for more direct informations:
- Can I join the fair? If by join the guild, then yes, you are welcome to.
- On which server are you?  Oasis.
- What's the average level range of your group that I should work to reach?  20-30 currently.
- Suggested UIs? (I usually want to retain the look of the base game, so nothing futuristic of crazy. I'm just asking if there are some usable addition that I'd need.)  The game is extremely customizable.  Just make sure and DL the map patch.- Freeport or Queynos?  Does not matter.  Personally I like ogres and trolls, but I am a sad little man.
- Which class? I'm going to read more about this before choosing. I'd start with something you could use and currently need. This is my priority list: Groupability/desirability, not too terrible to solo when I have to, one of the least used would be nice. NO FRIGGIN PETS!  See below.
- How races affect the classes? I need to research and min/max before I take a decision? No.  Strength and endurance are nice though, so I would lean towards that if you are concerned about numbers.

About the class I was looking to an healer or scout. When I say scout I mean a Bard, since I expect the rogue classes to be inflated as always. As a preference I like to play some crazy stuff. Something odd that could play slightly different from all I played till today. "Utility" is always nice and I'd like diversity over specialization. If you make a healer I *will* shank you.  Look into Swashbuckler or brigand- they are a lovely class that are currently under played (I love them in groups due to group stealth).  Also they make wonderful solo classes.

Dirge? Troubadour? (I'd prefer the first) Or an healer?  No.
I think I can exclude tanks and casters since I expect those roles to be already inflated while I'm looking for a role that is in demand.

EDIT: I'm narrowing down my choice to Dirge or Defiler. But I'm still open to other suggestions.  Swashbuckler or Brigand would be my recommendation.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 06:18:42 PM

Take a look at the roster and you can get idea of which classes are needed.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 06:37:15 PM

so nothing futuristic of crazy.

omg HRose's Engrish is adorable.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 06:41:52 PM

so nothing futuristic of crazy.

omg HRose's Engrish is adorable.

It's actually called Hrenglish.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 06:52:03 PM

I'm going with the Defiler, I think. At least to try.

Looking at your 28-18 range you have:

7 FIGHTER
1 Berserker
2 Paladin
4 Monk

0 Bruiser
0 Guardian
0 Shadowknight

9 MAGE
3 Wizard
2 Conjuror
2 Necromancer
1 Warlock
1 Illusionist

0 Coercer

7 PRIEST
2 Templar
2 Fury
1 Warden
1 Mystic
1 Defiler

0 Inquisitor

9 SCOUT
2 Dirge
2 Ranger
2 Brigand
1 Swashbuckler
1 Troubadour
1 Assassin

The server wide class graph also seems to look like this:

So the Defiler looks even more appealing.

It's actually called Hrenglish.
No, that's actually a typo ;p

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 07:09:08 PM

My main character is a defiler.  It is a fun class, but do not expect to have quick solo play. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 07:15:53 PM

My main character is a defiler.  It is a fun class, but do not expect to have quick solo play. 
Now I see why you didn't want me to make one ;p

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 07:22:57 PM

Now I see why you didn't want me to make one ;p

I am the first person to encourage people to play what they want.  Unless you are Sauced, then you have to be a warrior.  From what you stated in the original post I feel you would be well served as a Brigand or Swashy, but its my opinion.   Defiler is a fun class with pretty DOTs and nice buff spells, but I can see where many people would not like it.  Personally I like being purple smoke!  (you get a shape shift spell at level 20).

Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 07:36:56 PM

If only LU19 didn't make my chanter so awesome.  Decisions....
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 08:13:49 PM

*cough* tank *cough*

we grouped in Stromhold - 3 healers and 2 rogues...
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 11:06:14 PM

I have a brigand, SK, Paladin, Warden, and Inquisitor all 25+

Solo order of classes I've played past 25: SK > Pali > Warden > Brigand > Inquisitor.  The brigand is GREAT against solo targets, but in pulls of 3, I have trouble with many mobs.  The Warden/Inquisitor are very safe to solo with but take a long time to kill anything.  My favorite toon to play is my brigand, but it can be frustrating when trying to take out groups. 

If you wish to mostly solo HRose, I'd recommend an SK, Ranger, Monk, Fury, Bruiser, Necro, or Conjurer.

If you wish to mostly group, I'd recommend a guardian, Templar, Warden, Ranger, Swash, or wizard.  The bard classes are also very welcome.

It appears that rangers lead the dps game with wizards/warlocks and the pet classes closely behind if damage is your thing.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 03:37:47 AM

Well, I'm still around. The server went down so I have a minute.

There's a FRIGGING HARDCODED control that I cannot remove. On the /keyboards United States ini file the middle mouse button is bound to "auto run".

This seems to override even the in-game options since I tried to check/uncheck that option without any result. Is there a way to change this?

I cannot edit the .ini file because the patcher will overwrite it on its own. And I cannot find any other file where I can go to change the option manually. I also tried to find some options to regulate the chat bubbles (like font size) without a success.

Oh, and I started with a Defiler Troll (EDIT: Ogre, not troll). And I'm developing a nasty a particle effect indigestion. EVEN THE BOARS HAVE PARTICLE EFFECT ATTACKS!!!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 05:57:26 AM by HRose »

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Xilren's Twin

Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 10:08:26 AM

Oh, and I started with a Defiler Troll (EDIT: Ogre, not troll). And I'm developing a nasty a particle effect indigestion. EVEN THE BOARS HAVE PARTICLE EFFECT ATTACKS!!!

That's methane and it's perfectly natural.  Don't cast a flame spell....

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 10:51:52 AM

HRose, your avatar series is creeping me out like that movie The Ring did.  Can you please just tell me what happens at the end?  Can you reassure me it can't get out?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 11:16:05 AM

*cough* tank *cough*

we grouped in Stromhold - 3 healers and 2 rogues...

Three healers and two predators. actually. A ranger and an assassin.

We still kicked a fair amount of ass. I'll pop in the monk next time if you need though.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 12:08:10 PM

Looks like I should level a guardian or an SK. 

Decisions decisions.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 06:30:55 PM

HRose, your avatar series is creeping me out like that movie The Ring did.
That avatar series is me playing with a webcam :)

Btw, I plan to reach level 10 tonight. My first current worry is about being able to see all the other zones without my viode card "giving up".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 06:35:55 PM by HRose »

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 06:47:35 PM

Good luck with level 10.  Please stop playing with your webcam now.  It really is very scary.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 09:19:06 PM

Okay. I discovered it's not just about the mouse buttons. I cannot redefine ANY controls. I can go in the options and set different keys, they are saved from session to session, but the game just don't consider those and uses instead the ini file in the /keyboards dir.

Someone knows about this? I'm the only one who is not able to redefine keys?

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 07:25:08 AM

Good luck with level 10.  Please stop playing with your webcam now.  It really is very scary.
He looks like the crazy guy he plays on the internet.

"Me am play gods"
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 07:28:20 AM

EQ2 has a very annoying "feature" of allowing you to use one button to do two things so if you set numpad 8 to move forward it will also still be camera up or whatever it was before.  You have to hunt through all the other keybindings for the one that has the same button then clear it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 07:32:34 AM

He looks like the crazy guy he plays on the internet.

I think he's going for the Rasputin look.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 03:14:21 PM

Well, I solved that problem by deleting the .ini files.

I think the game freaked out when I deleted and remade the char under the same name.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 04:50:14 PM

Okay. I discovered it's not just about the mouse buttons. I cannot redefine ANY controls. I can go in the options and set different keys, they are saved from session to session, but the game just don't consider those and uses instead the ini file in the /keyboards dir.

Someone knows about this? I'm the only one who is not able to redefine keys?

I am having issues as well.  Probably a similiar problem due to the Oasis move.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 06:47:01 PM

If you find your table it will all come back. JK JK

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Joining the fair  
Jump to: