Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:55:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Gaymers force Blizzard into submission 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gaymers force Blizzard into submission  (Read 71185 times)
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #315 on: March 10, 2006, 07:35:09 AM

GLBT friendly, as I said, implies a home for gay men, bisexuals, transgenders and lesbian women, and anyone who doesn't find that too icky. It most certainly does imply that somewhere in there will be a higher proportion of gay men than straight men. Which in essence makes the guild a "gay guild" because that's what they advertise as.

Contradict yourself much?

EDIT:  If you can't even decide what you're trying to say, why are you posting?  "Being in a GLBT Friendly guild implies there will be some gay people and some non-gay people, therefore it's obviously an all gay guild".. whatever.. bigot.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #316 on: March 10, 2006, 07:45:01 AM

No, it implies that it will be a mostly gay guild, and that most often, the subject of being gay and gay talk and all such things gay will be important. Whether that is the case or not, when you make your sexual identity the main focus of your guild, how can you be surprised if people not in your guild think you are going to be heavily focused on that sexual identity?

BTW, I wouldn't join an African-American friendly guild either, not because I am some kind of racist bigot (which you apprently think I am), but because I'm not African-American. The same way I wouldn't join a church that was 'Gay-friendly' or a gaming group that was 'gay-friendly.' Because really, all it tells me is that the group's hot button issue is caught up protecting gay people, and I'd rather focus on gaming or the religion instead of on things that piss off gay people, like intolerance to gay people.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #317 on: March 10, 2006, 07:49:02 AM

BTW, I wouldn't join an African-American friendly guild either, not because I am some kind of racist bigot (which you apprently think I am), but because I'm not African-American. The same way I wouldn't join a church that was 'Gay-friendly' or a gaming group that was 'gay-friendly.' Because really, all it tells me is that the group's hot button issue is caught up protecting gay people, and I'd rather focus on gaming or the religion instead of on things that piss off gay people, like intolerance to gay people.

Wait just a minute, you've lost your famous pendantry and are now trying to change the argument YET AGAIN.

I never said I wanted to you join the guild.  I certainly never intended to join the guild (hey, it's not my thing).  The argument has never been that you should have to join the guild.  The argument has been that the guild should be allowed to exist and advertise because it doesn't harm anyone for them to do so.  Only interested parties should join the guild, if the argument was about forcing people to join the guild it would be a different argument altogether (and I'd be on a different side). 

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #318 on: March 10, 2006, 07:58:56 AM

The argument has been that the guild should be allowed to exist and advertise because it doesn't harm anyone for them to do so. 

Now who is changing the argument? I have never said the guild shouldn't be ALLOWED to exist. And I only said they shouldn't be allowed to advertise in general, public chat channels, because I don't think anyone should be allowed to recruit for guilds in general chat, but especially guilds whose main identity seems to be in hot button issues that will bait the retards. They can advertise in the recruitment channel (now that it exists) all they want, it isn't a public chat channel. They can advertise in any other non-intrusive ways they want. Hell, I think it'd be great if they did events on the server as a non-invasive recruiting tool, like arena tourneys or some such. But the minute they start in with the GLBT, or Hardcore Raiding, or African-American-friendly thing in general public chat channels, they have gone too far, IMO.

I brought up joining only because I'm saying I wouldn't be a part of them because of how they establish their identity, along the lines of sexual preference and tolerance for such. I never said anyone is forcing me to join.

You keep wanting to call me a bigot and say that I'm saying things I'm most certainly not. I may not rite gud sometimes, or clearly, but I most certainly haven't said the things you keep trying to pin on me. I see it's boring at work for you again, if you seem to want to troll this thread to 70.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #319 on: March 10, 2006, 08:00:27 AM

The argument has been that the guild should be allowed to exist and advertise because it doesn't harm anyone for them to do so.

Now who is changing the argument?

No one.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: March 10, 2006, 08:30:20 AM

I am probably way off base, but that is my initial thought.  My initial thought is not going to change no matter how many capitalized words you through my way.

That's the interesting thing about initial thoughts.  They are often wrong.

In my personal case, life has proved that initial thought right.  People that publicly state to me they are gay friendly subsequently have a lot of gay friends around them a lot of the time and their conversations are many times about gay activities.  I never said I thought gay friendly = gay.  I said it hints to you what the atmosphere around that person is like most of the time.  It does for me anyway.  I think Haemish is saying the same thing.

If this guild is completely different than that, great.  If they are just like I stated, great.  I just stated what my own experiences have concluded in my own mind.  Yours obviously are different.

I only stated my own personal thoughts because I think that is what many people think of when guilds like this advertise like they did.  OMG, they sit around in channel talking about gay stuff.  If that wasn't their intent, they shouldn't have made that the main focus of their soundbite.  Because there isn't a lot of detail in a shout over the general chat, we are forced to come to some conclusions quickly.

You hint that I'm wrong about this guild.  Can you prove it?  They don't talk about about gay issues in guild chat?  A majority of them are not GLBT?  If they do and they are, fantastic.  It would just prove that my intial thought generated by their general chat statement was right.  I don't care.  However, that is where the uproar was generated, in my opinion.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #321 on: March 10, 2006, 08:38:52 AM

You hint that I'm wrong about this guild.  Can you prove it?  They don't talk about about gay issues in guild chat?  A majority of them are not GLBT?  If they do and they are, fantastic.  It would just prove that my intial thought generated by their general chat statement was right.  I don't care.  However, that is where the uproar was generated, in my opinion.

No, I'm saying that it doesn't matter if you are wrong or right about the guild because you won't be joining it.  All we are saying is that the guild should be allowed to exist and it should be allowed to advertise itself just like every other guild in the game.  If the method for advertising is changed, they should be required to follow those rules (i.e. when the new channels were made they should be forced to advertise in the new channels).  They should not be treated different than any other guild in the game.

BTW:  Does your circumstancial evidence support the fact that all black people eat watermelons?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #322 on: March 10, 2006, 08:39:28 AM

BTW:  Does your circumstancial evidence support the fact that all black people eat watermelons?

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #323 on: March 10, 2006, 08:41:52 AM

What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

The all Gay people only talk about Gay things and nothing else myth was confirmed by him, I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons myth.  I thought since he was the expert on finding out wether prejuidices are true or not, that he could lend a helping hand.

EDIT:  Maybe a study can be conducted.  Dren knows a few gay people who talk about gay things.. perhaps if he knows a few black people and has seen more than 50% of them eat a watermelon at some point it will confirm the watermelon myth.  If that won't work, maybe he can invite all the black people he knows over and put a sign in front of his house that says "free watermelon" and see how many of them take him up?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 08:43:44 AM by cevik »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: March 10, 2006, 08:48:21 AM

Code:
STOP

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: March 10, 2006, 08:53:48 AM

I feel confident in saying, "Gay people talk about gay things sometimes."

Point to me where I said that is ALL they talk about.  Now, I know you are trolling.  rolleyes
sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: March 10, 2006, 09:07:06 AM

If you are going to try and tell me that saying "I'm a gay man" is saying nothing about someone's sexual preferences, then you truly have turned Gay into a political identity. That's a very bad thing.

I remember seeing someone say this earlier.  Oh yeah! me.

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #327 on: March 10, 2006, 09:20:59 AM

Point to me where I said that is ALL they talk about.  Now, I know you are trolling.  rolleyes

Uhh, I'm trolling?

When we are around them, they talk about being gay.  They let you know with every other phrase that they are gay, or that person over there is gay, that they plan to go to the gay bar later, etc.  Great.  Super.  Now, my instant reaction to hearing GLBT friendly is that the chat in that guild will be filled with talk about gay activities.

So when are you goin to perform my watermelon study?

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #328 on: March 10, 2006, 09:21:35 AM

I remember seeing someone say this earlier.  Oh yeah! me.

And it's still wrong.  Congrats!

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #329 on: March 10, 2006, 09:26:38 AM

I dont think I can stop this one, even with song lyrics, perhaps song lyrics in another language...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #330 on: March 10, 2006, 09:34:54 AM

Yes, cevik, you are trolling. I think this thread can die a good, stupid death now.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: March 10, 2006, 09:43:22 AM

Uhh, I'm trolling?

When we are around them, they talk about being gay.  They let you know with every other phrase that they are gay, or that person over there is gay, that they plan to go to the gay bar later, etc.  Great.  Super.  Now, my instant reaction to hearing GLBT friendly is that the chat in that guild will be filled with talk about gay activities.

So when are you goin to perform my watermelon study?

You took that out of context.  Nice.  The "they" I was talking about were my friends.  Read it again.  I was not referencing ALL gay people.  I did say the chat would be "filled" with gay talk.  I'll stand by that.  Gay people will talk about gay issues.  They'll talk about them a lot.

I can't believe you don't understand that.  Thus, I called you a troll.

If you want to make a comparison to the African Americans, fine.  I would bet that black people talk about black topics alot.  I bet their days are full of black topics.  I'm not sure where watermelons came from.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #332 on: March 10, 2006, 11:01:05 AM

"So these guys formed a guild in World of Warcraft to talk about how much they like a penis in their butthole?"
"Dude, that's twisted.  I'm going to go witness to them."
"Uh, I don't think that's a wise idea..."
"DAMN IT, IT NEEDS TO BE DONE!  THEY MUST BREAK FREE OF THEIR SORDID LIFESTYLE!"
"What the hell are you planning say to them, exactly?"
"That they should try EQ2, or DAoC, or something."
"..."
"Why, what did you think I was going to say?"

/rimshot

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #333 on: March 10, 2006, 11:16:22 AM

You took that out of context.  Nice.  The "they" I was talking about were my friends.  Read it again.  I was not referencing ALL gay people.  I did say the chat would be "filled" with gay talk.  I'll stand by that.  Gay people will talk about gay issues.  They'll talk about them a lot.

If you want to make a comparison to the African Americans, fine.  I would bet that black people talk about black topics alot.  I bet their days are full of black topics.  I'm not sure where watermelons came from.

I perfectly understood it.  You are saying "I judge all gay people based on my limited experience with a few gay 'friends' I have."  I'm asking if you limit it to gay people or do you pre-judge everyone?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #334 on: March 10, 2006, 11:53:16 AM

"So these guys formed a guild in World of Warcraft to talk about how much they like a penis in their butthole?"
"Dude, that's twisted.  I'm going to go witness to them."
"Uh, I don't think that's a wise idea..."
"DAMN IT, IT NEEDS TO BE DONE!  THEY MUST BREAK FREE OF THEIR SORDID LIFESTYLE!"
"What the hell are you planning say to them, exactly?"
"That they should try EQ2, or DAoC, or something."
"..."
"Why, what did you think I was going to say?"

/rimshot

Sometimes, you are a WindupNutsack, and sometimes you are fucking funny.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #335 on: March 10, 2006, 12:03:05 PM

It is expected and accepted that players will discuss a wide variety of topics, based on both the game world and the real world.  Players are free to discuss personal characteristics if they wish, to include their sexual orientations and gender identities.

Paul Sams, Blizzard CEO

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: March 10, 2006, 12:12:37 PM

I perfectly understood it.  You are saying "I judge all gay people based on my limited experience with a few gay 'friends' I have."  I'm asking if you limit it to gay people or do you pre-judge everyone?

Ok, last one.  After this, you can just imagine me shaking my fists Colonel Klink style from Hogan's heros if you bait me again.

I did not say I judge them.  I did not say anything other than that the gay people I know talk about gay issues a lot.  My initial reaction when people say they have a gay friendly guild is that there will be a lot of talk about gay issues.  That has nothing to do with judging them.  I didn't say that was wrong or right.  I said that is what I would expect IF I joined their guild, so my reaction was to ignore it.  Is ignoring it judging them?  You said yourself you aren't interested.  Did you judge them?

Are you suggesting that because I judged that they talk about issues relevant to their own sexual preferences, I must judge them about everything else too?  Damn, there is some logic for you.  You made that jump, not me.

cevik
I'm Special

Reply #337 on: March 10, 2006, 12:45:54 PM

I did not say I judge them.

Yes you did, then you said it again, immedaitely after this sentence.  I'll quote it for you here:

My initial reaction when people say they have a gay friendly guild is that there will be a lot of talk about gay issues.

This is the very act of judging. 

Is ignoring it judging them?

No.  Your prejudice is that because a few gay people you know talk about being gay in "every other sentence" that all gay people everywhere will be talking about being gay in every other sentence.

You said yourself you aren't interested.  Did you judge them?

No, in fact I said there was no way any of could know what is happening in /g on their screens.  I didn't judge them at all, I've never been in the guild, I haven't slightest CLUE what they talk about, nor do I care.

Are they talking about being gay in every other sentence?  Perhaps, I don't know, I've never spoken to anyone in the guild.

Are they talking about football in every other sentence?  Perhaps, I don't know, I've never spoken to anyone in the guild.

Are they talking about what's on TV every other sentence?   Perhaps, I don't know, I've never spoken to anyone in the guild.

I'm reserving my judgement until I get into the guild and see what they talk about.  Since I already have a guild that suits my needs, I'm not really shoping for a new guild on a different server right now, so it will probably be quite some time before I ever judge these individuals.. 

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: March 10, 2006, 02:05:47 PM

What's gay talk?

Let's see, recent hot throbbing gay topics included why we have 30 level 60s and still can't get a good raid together (conclusion: most of them are players with multiple 60s). Whether or not I was high enough for an instance (no). That someone's husband has a firm date to come back from deployment (yay). Someone wouldn't be around because they were going to visit their parents for the weekend (have a good time). That someone finished their taxes and taxes suck. (all agreed) And whether anyone needed the pattern for +5 skinning gloves (yes mailed).

If you think guildchat is all the guys talking about musicals and all the women talking about softball I'm afraid you'd be disappointed. (I prefer women's soccer.) And if you think it's about sex, then you'd really be disappointed.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: March 10, 2006, 02:30:13 PM

Lies.  LIES I tell you!

(It sounds better if you do it with a Zim voice in your head.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #340 on: March 10, 2006, 04:39:05 PM

I NEED TACOS?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: March 10, 2006, 06:02:19 PM

I NEED TACOS

Mmmm.... tacos

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #342 on: March 10, 2006, 06:35:35 PM

If you think guildchat is all the guys talking about musicals and all the women talking about softball I'm afraid you'd be disappointed. (I prefer women's soccer.) And if you think it's about sex, then you'd really be disappointed.

I guess I won't be joining your guild then. I need hot steamy musical talk, damnit!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #343 on: March 11, 2006, 05:28:36 AM

No, it implies that it will be a mostly gay guild, and that most often, the subject of being gay and gay talk and all such things gay will be important. Whether that is the case or not, when you make your sexual identity the main focus of your guild, how can you be surprised if people not in your guild think you are going to be heavily focused on that sexual identity?

What the fuck does this have to do with them being able to advertise their guild in (formerly) general chat, and not the guild recruitment channel. Quit while you're behind.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #344 on: March 11, 2006, 05:32:37 AM

It is expected and accepted that players will discuss a wide variety of topics, based on both the game world and the real world.  Players are free to discuss personal characteristics if they wish, to include their sexual orientations and gender identities.

Paul Sams, Blizzard CEO

irrelevent. HAEMISH has other plans for general chat. And HIS will will not be denied. Apparently.

..not that he vocally gave a fuck before.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #345 on: March 11, 2006, 09:50:32 AM

Not to be pendantic, but this is a pendant:

And this is a pedant:

Also, boys have a penis and girls have a vagina.  Carry on.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #346 on: March 11, 2006, 09:58:49 AM

I think he misses his gulag.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #347 on: March 11, 2006, 10:18:54 AM

It was so comfy.   cry

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #348 on: March 11, 2006, 09:26:52 PM

The second you tried to uninvite Signe you should have known it was doomed.

What?  Something on-topic? I'm sorry I've already put forth arguments that I feel are still completely valid 6 pages ago, nobody wanted to actually read them then, same as it ever was.

-William Gibson
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #349 on: March 12, 2006, 07:43:48 AM

Are any of you guys tagged with Haemish?

Does he fly into a furious rage whenever something (anything) from the real world pops up in the general chat channels?

jus' askin' is all..

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Gaymers force Blizzard into submission  
Jump to: