Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:45:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Adventure/Raid/Quest/Group Nights 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adventure/Raid/Quest/Group Nights  (Read 13920 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #35 on: February 10, 2006, 06:44:11 PM

I loved our SWG guild.  It was great fun while it lasted. 

I swore after SB, however, that I'd never turn a game into a job again.  I think it hit some of us (Haemish, Righ, Cevik, etc) at approximately the same time that when you HAVE to log in or you'll not only disappoint people, but actually adversely affect their game, it stops being fun. I don't want my entertainment time to be stressy.  I don't ever want to be in that position again.  I like the way we all play very casually and wander in and out as we please.  That's not to say we shouldn't have get togethers at set times, just that everything doesn't depend on just a few people and there's no guilt when someone can't be there.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 10, 2006, 06:50:41 PM

Quote from: Signe
you'll not only disappoint people, but actually adversely affect their game, it stops being fun
That is exactly what caused me the most stress in earlier games (only a bit in SWG, more so in EQ1). I like hanging out with people. I don't like being a linchpin though. I can't anymore anyway, but I am glad I came to not liking it before my life changed to prevent it :)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #37 on: February 10, 2006, 06:58:03 PM

I loved our SWG guild.  It was great fun while it lasted. 

I swore after SB, however, that I'd never turn a game into a job again.  I think it hit some of us (Haemish, Righ, Cevik, etc) at approximately the same time that when you HAVE to log in or you'll not only disappoint people, but actually adversely affect their game, it stops being fun. I don't want my entertainment time to be stressy.  I don't ever want to be in that position again.  I like the way we all play very casually and wander in and out as we please.  That's not to say we shouldn't have get togethers at set times, just that everything doesn't depend on just a few people and there's no guilt when someone can't be there.

I had that problem in DAOC in the first and only guild I was ever an officer in.  It's hard to make sure everyone in a guild is benefitting from it and it's understandable that if someone isn't getting anything out of being in the guild than what's the point of them being in it?  Focus too much on the lower level players and the high level people feel held back.  Focus too much on the high level players and it widens the gap between them and the lower levels.

I think CoH kinda got things right as far as sidekicking and just being able to throw a group together goes.  It's main drawback (other than the grind) is a lack of actual goals for guilds to work towards (but then I haven't played in a while so I don't know of HQ's add anything in that regard).
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 10, 2006, 07:19:03 PM

You guys crack me up.  There's a big difference between being considerate to other people and turning a game into a job.  Noone is making nor expecting anyone to participate that doesn't wish to.  If you don't want to be part of a regular group, don't.  It's really that simple.

This post is for people that wish to have a regular group.  Setting a time for it merely shows respect for the time and enjoyment of others.  Don't want to set a time?  Don't commit to anything.  See how easy that is?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #39 on: February 10, 2006, 07:35:24 PM

You guys crack me up.  There's a big difference between being considerate to other people and turning a game into a job.

I think we're just going into guild related anecdotes right now rather than actually expecting the game to turn into a job.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 10, 2006, 07:39:46 PM

I realize that... it still strikes me as funny.  I think about all of the things I do with other people and we always set a time.  Basketball, softball, tennis, poker, bridge, skiing, golf.... we always set a time.  It's just a way to coordinate people interested in the same activity.  When I don't want to be restricted by a schedule, I either don't do it or I find a situation (like pickup basketball) where I don't have to limit myself to a schedule. 

It's ok if I find the knee-jerk reactions funny.  Humor is one of the main reasons I frequent these boards.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #41 on: February 10, 2006, 07:51:13 PM

Hey!  Stop being amused!  Entertainment is a deadly serious business!  People in Korea DIE playing games, you know!

Gamers!  Dead!!  In Korea!!!

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 10, 2006, 09:48:24 PM

Hehe, it is funny, but it's also good discourse to have. It's also sort of inevitable. The larger the group, the greater potential span of opinions :)

People want to make sure the fun  they're already having continues, as they should, seeing as they were here and having fun already for awhile before I stumbled back into EQ2 :)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #43 on: February 11, 2006, 07:37:26 PM

I had issues logging in, then had issues with video ram going bonkers.  Only thing I could do to fix the issue was minimize every 30 seconds or so.  Everything worked beautifully earlier, but since there was some update tonight, I am having issues.  This issue is perplexing but since no one was saying anything in guild chat I assume everyone is having issues.  If anyone fixes the issue let me know please.

edit.  It seems turning off my illusion form helps fix the issue with video in game.  Very odd.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 07:45:00 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 12, 2006, 05:19:48 AM

No issues with me last night. Played about 90 minutes after updating to Catalyst 6.2 (from I think 5.1). Just did mostly quest turn-ins and bazaar stuff. I didn't think I'd be in at all :)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #45 on: February 13, 2006, 11:32:14 AM

A buddy of mine that I played EQ1 with asked me about the raiding. What is the dealio with it? Is it large uber 40 man raid stuff, or isn't there a bunch of smaller-group raid style instances? 6-man or 10-man type of stuff?

Also, I stab in the face the first person that suggest DKP.

sarius
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 13, 2006, 11:39:36 AM

My group is on Unrest server.  Always looking for decent folks to group or raid.  Look for Fivo, or anyone with the Shibboleth tag if you're around Unrest, please.

It's always our desire to control that leads to injustice and inequity. -- Mary Gordon
“Call it amnesty, call it a banana if you want to, but it’s earned citizenship.” -- John McCain (still learning English apparently)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #47 on: February 13, 2006, 11:45:56 AM

This will all end in tears.

UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 13, 2006, 12:03:08 PM

A buddy of mine that I played EQ1 with asked me about the raiding. What is the dealio with it? Is it large uber 40 man raid stuff, or isn't there a bunch of smaller-group raid style instances? 6-man or 10-man type of stuff?

Also, I stab in the face the first person that suggest DKP.

There's a bunch of different stuff available. From Heroic type zones which would need a group of 6. Group x 2 Epics (12 people) and finally Group x 4 Epics (24 people). 24 is currently the max.

I've currently been doing 2 instances in RunnyEye that can be done with 4-6 people and result in a master or legendary chest about 75% of the time. Each one has a 17 hour lockout so can only be done once per day. Total time to do both of them is about an hour from the point your group is together and moving.

There are also a TON of level 50ish raid instances that can take up to 24 people (recommended at level 50) that will only take 30 minutes or so to complete. Some of these also become single groupable at level 60 (Angler) and most have a 100% chance of dropping a master or legendary.

There's also the entire splitpaw expansion which is made up of instances. 3 are solo, 3-4 are single group, 1 2xgroup, and 1 4xgroup. These will scale to the average level of the group so are doable whenever you want.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 13, 2006, 12:19:35 PM

Just to clarify, lest there be confusion (and I know UD_Delt was answering Haemish's friend's question):

I am not looking to "raid" in the traditional sense of the word. I am not of a level to overly care about equipment anyway, but I also just don't get much into raiding anyway.

I am looking to complete quests that require groups on a semi-regular basis with others who'd like to have a consistent date with which to look forward, or from which to avoid :) This could mean some higher levels mentoring down to lower ones, people all happening to be groupable levels, or someone tagging along. It'll change every week. The goal here is to hit group-required quests when they're relevant to do so, not 10 levels later when you can solo them ;)

That other Raiding stuff may want another thread, just to keep things clear  :-D
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: February 13, 2006, 12:33:45 PM

I was mainly curious. I'm not too into raiding myself, but 24-man isn't obscene. It's just probably going to be impossible with this group.

What night did we decide? I didn't read the whole thread.  evil

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 13, 2006, 04:39:31 PM

Quote from: Haemish
What night did we decide? I didn't read the whole thread
We're starting out light. So far, for those who stated specific interest here (not that others aren't interested...), 10pm EST on Wednesday. It could last an hour. We could come to fisticuffs in minutes  :-D If others are along great! At this point, I think Sky's Caviglia is at 27 and Saunced's Sauncy at 24. I think me at 18 (maybe 19 by then) puts us all in groupable level. But that's the other thread I just started. Mentoring is an option, but I'd like to prevent this becoming one of those weekly things where everyone helps out the newbie. It really wants to be more of a benefit for everyone.

Just as an aside, for me personally, the number of people on the raid isn't an issue much. I've never lead one though beyond leading a single Class/ability channel, so I've only seen the histrionics on the periphery :) What is an issue is the motivation. I'm all for getting better equipment and therefore customizing my ability set. But going through the same content night after night, stuff I could walk in my sleep after only a week or so, that isn't a game anymore. It's a slot machine. And I know how slot machines work.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: February 14, 2006, 08:38:29 AM

I have no problem leading up to 24-man raids personally, so long as no one acts like a lewtwhoring cockmonkey and listens to what I say. Raid leading gets frustrating when people don't listen. With actual raid tools built into the game, I can see it being much easier than the old days.

But first I have to reach a level that matters. I only hit 12 last night.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #53 on: February 14, 2006, 09:17:20 AM

I'm 27th, but my Guardian (who needs guilding, I guess, heh) is 15th. I'll play either. I don't mind mentoring down for BB if needed, Cav still has a few of the quests lingering there. I've got a gaggle for Stormhold.

On raiding: as long as people are cool and having fun. I have zero tolerance for lewt whores because of the sheer amount of times I was fucked over in EQ. I mean...I was wearing a lvl 25 robe at lvl 53, at lvl 54 I got the Advisor's Robe from Mistmoor (late 20s?), and even that I had to argue with the tank who wanted it for his fucking alt. I'd hope we are all mature enough to have the basics like main characters get priority over alts and whatnot.

Also. I have little tolerance for drama. I play games for fun, not for drama. People start putting on their little drama show, I go play guitar. That was so much more effective when I was a necro in EQ and would just go feign until people shut the hell up.

So yeah, tomorrow night. Just wish we weren't starting so late, a couple hours once a week would be a nice thing to look forward to, since this game puts so much emphasis on grouping and I've not grouped with Cav since the Isle. I was thinking that the other night playing Haruspex (my guardian) in the Caves. Group invited me, and I was going to join...but they sent the invite while I was fighting two seperate encounters, so I just declined it to finish the fight. By the time I was done and went upstairs they were gone, and I was limited to entrance trash because I couldn't clear the groups to progress further.

Really my main gripe about the game remains, the chained mobs and the ^^^ and epic/heroic garbage cockblocking solo players. Back of the bus, bitches.
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 14, 2006, 02:15:09 PM

Count me in!  I have had a fun time questing with you guys.

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #55 on: February 14, 2006, 02:40:04 PM

I will be joining as well.  Darniaq, would it be possible to keep this up every week and make you the POC?  I will most likely be posting the updated roster tonight along with some guild notes.   Hello Kitty

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 14, 2006, 07:25:53 PM

Ok so it's Sky, Sauced, Haemish, Mi_Tes, Cheddar, and myself for tomorrow night at 10pm EST. That about right?

What's the max group size? Is it five or six? If five, we'll split into two groups based on level ranges. I'd say let's make Blackburrow one goal. If Haemish hasn't gotten to some of those quests yet (can't remember when I got them), he can still collect those items to learn the Gnoll language, those turn ins for Status Points, and get gobs of XP as well. Mi_Tes I think was the one that mentioned she got 3 levels in one period of adventuring with Cheddar et al.

I'll start a new thread :)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #57 on: February 14, 2006, 09:17:19 PM

Ok so it's Sky, Sauced, Haemish, Mi_Tes, Cheddar, and myself for tomorrow night at 10pm EST. That about right?

What's the max group size? Is it five or six? If five, we'll split into two groups based on level ranges. I'd say let's make Blackburrow one goal. If Haemish hasn't gotten to some of those quests yet (can't remember when I got them), he can still collect those items to learn the Gnoll language, those turn ins for Status Points, and get gobs of XP as well. Mi_Tes I think was the one that mentioned she got 3 levels in one period of adventuring with Cheddar et al.

I'll start a new thread :)

Bug thing to note.  Not eve3ryone who posts here is the only people to show up.  Err there may be more.  Alos we have raid options.... NP I will help with that.  Key is you go ahead and make the plans!

They will come.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Adventure/Raid/Quest/Group Nights  
Jump to: