Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Minor stupid criticism: Opening intro 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Minor stupid criticism: Opening intro  (Read 2399 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: February 03, 2006, 06:26:57 AM

The new intro cinematric (just some sketches of book pages with a voiceover) tells a compelling story. It's fairly longish and wordy, but it sets the stage nicely.

Oddly though, it implies players have a choice between Good and Evil. It describes Qeynos and Freeport, what they're about, and talks about having players decide to go there.

Yet, this entire sequence is presented after players have already made that choice.

This wouldn't bother me at all if not for the fact that the previous Isle of Refuge did the same thing: you rolled a character, played the tutorial, chose a base class, played through the quest chains and then were told to talk to one of two NPCs in the boathouse. Both of them gave flowery speeches about Qeynos and Freeport, yet players could not react to this because the decision of which city to go to was made at the same moment of creation it still is.

If it were me, I'd put the new intro sequence before the Character Selection screen (with ESC to skip past in addition to the "Exit" button on the lower right). It's not like they can change where a character starts at this point since alignment selection drives class choice.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 07:05:28 AM

Are you sure it's new? I recall seeing it before, though they may have changed parts. Sounded the same to me, so I skipped it.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 09:35:13 AM

You're right: "new to me". I hadn't seen it before playing on Test and thought it was added when they removed the Boat tutorial.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 04:21:11 AM

In what I assume is a bug, it also plays whenever you zone in to the island. So if you do a mini-dungeon quest, then on the way out you get to hear about various ages of sulk the gods have been though once again.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 07:57:48 PM

So I just launched again, and see they added the two year old video sequence to play just after the first SOE logo (nice SFX on that). I liked that video and all, but it's been available for download for so long I assumed it was common knowledge. I doubt it was cheap to make though, so it's good they're getting some mileage from it.

Therefore, to clarify, my original post was strictly about when the illustrated-book-and-voiceover sequence plays.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Minor stupid criticism: Opening intro  
Jump to: