Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:13:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Welp, finally dl'd the Isle of Trial.. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welp, finally dl'd the Isle of Trial..  (Read 4799 times)
Xilren's Twin

on: February 01, 2006, 01:33:21 PM

Oh whatever it's named.  Overall seems decent little tutorial area but I'm glad their revamping it so people can get a much better feel for their classes actually will be.  I made it to a lvl 5 Scout/4 tradeskill person without doing much of anything to speak of.  The combat didn't show anything new beyond autoattack plus specials we are all familar with plus scouts get stealth, and two crafting items i made were just watching a progress bar and deciding if there was any reason to hit "stop" prior to the quality hitting max. I'm going to try a mage type character to see how that flows, but im guessing not too different.

With all the positives I seeing here, I'm thinking about picking it up anyway (just in time for server migrations, yeah!) but is there like an advanced tutorial after you get off that island?  If I were truly a new player, I'm feeling like there's a ton of information i wouldn't have a clue about (from food/water, to crafting mini games and making actualy useful stuff, spell advancement, not to mention the actually advanced class abilities and such).

Anyone want to give their two minute second run down of things I should be aware of?

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 02:00:11 PM

Crafting is a bit opaque. If you go into your skills window (default: k iirc), you can mouse-over each skill button to see what they do, and drag them to your hotbar. I recommend using the button in the corner of that window to organize them, too. Then, in addition to using the tradeskill buttons to react to events, you can also affect the durability and progress of the item. There are a few different effects, and you gain more as you level as a tradeskill profession, as I said, mouse-over to see what they do. I mash +progress stuff until durability falls too low and then mash +durability. You can finish things a lot faster and save a lot of bad progress or durability rolls that way.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 04:09:38 PM

Crafting on the Isle isn't much of a challenge as its basically impossible to fail.  Later on you actually have to work to get a pristine (although crafting skill helps a lot too).  I actually enjoy crafting in EQ2 - it's a bit beyond watching the green bar.  Although I haven't done enough of it to be considered an expert.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 05:19:36 PM

Xil, might I suggest patching the Test client? The whole newbie game is changing in two days anyway :)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 07:21:56 AM

Crafting on the Isle isn't much of a challenge as its basically impossible to fail.  Later on you actually have to work to get a pristine (although crafting skill helps a lot too).  I actually enjoy crafting in EQ2 - it's a bit beyond watching the green bar.  Although I haven't done enough of it to be considered an expert.
The stuff Dreak gives you, sure. Crafting Apprentice spells and skills or bags, works just like in the regular game.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 07:57:36 AM

Later on you actually have to work to get a pristine (although crafting skill helps a lot too).

As far as I can tell you can get pristine 100% of the time by just spamming +durability, though it takes longer that way.

I'm given to understand that this is how people run craft bots.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 07:58:34 AM

Nearly everyone I see in the crafting rooms seems to be botting.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 08:52:45 AM

Nearly everyone I see in the crafting rooms seems to be botting.

I see the same thing.  They macro craft green items for skill and take too little damage to kill them.  It's kind of a shame, the crafting game isn't all that bad and will improve without the need for sub combines.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 09:46:57 AM

I see the same thing.  They macro craft green items for skill and take too little damage to kill them.  It's kind of a shame, the crafting game isn't all that bad and will improve without the need for sub combines.

They aren't necesarily green things. Someone could bot an even con recipe just as easily as a green recipe. And it's not for skill gain. It's for exp and cash.

There's a reason why you see Ashen roots and other t5 materials at a high price on the broker. T5 was the last level for tradeskill tasks that pay decent cash. The botters buy tons of raws, process them into subcomponents, then run tradeskill tasks. At a guess I would say they probably average about 1p per hour or $4-$5/hour through botting. Run 10 or so PCs at the same time (on different servers of course) and you got yourself a nice little business going.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 10:16:42 AM

They aren't necesarily green things. Someone could bot an even con recipe just as easily as a green recipe. And it's not for skill gain. It's for exp and cash.

There's a reason why you see Ashen roots and other t5 materials at a high price on the broker. T5 was the last level for tradeskill tasks that pay decent cash. The botters buy tons of raws, process them into subcomponents, then run tradeskill tasks. At a guess I would say they probably average about 1p per hour or $4-$5/hour through botting. Run 10 or so PCs at the same time (on different servers of course) and you got yourself a nice little business going.

I'm sure you're correct.  Every once in a while I find myself forgetting that mmogs are small online businesses rather than games.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 09:15:18 AM

So PopTart nagged me enough  :-D that I finally installed and made a character on her account this weekend. Maercus, the human Freeport Assassin.

The newly designed Newbie Isle is much better than it was during beta. The quests are actually focused on something, and starting out as your final class is certainly better than the archtype for 20 levels shit. It's a great deal improved from beta. There's still too much auto-attack in it, IMO. The heroic opportunity thing is even more macroable, if I were so inclined.

After I got to Freeport on Saturday, I started having graphic issues that caused me to be unable to play. I can't tell if I care to continue or not.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 12:32:23 PM

So PopTart nagged me enough  :-D that I finally installed and made a character on her account this weekend. Maercus, the human Freeport Assassin.

The newly designed Newbie Isle is much better than it was during beta. The quests are actually focused on something, and starting out as your final class is certainly better than the archtype for 20 levels shit. It's a great deal improved from beta. There's still too much auto-attack in it, IMO. The heroic opportunity thing is even more macroable, if I were so inclined.

After I got to Freeport on Saturday, I started having graphic issues that caused me to be unable to play. I can't tell if I care to continue or not.

Who are you, and where did you put Haemish?  This post you made was more ambivilent then jaded.  I call shennagins!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 12:56:55 PM

It's ambivalent because I didn't really get enough of the game to figure out if I like it or not. The Newbie Isle isn't really enough, and wasn't in beta, and that was when I HATED the newbie isle. If the problems in Freeport continue, then you may see some piss and vinegar.

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 02:57:45 PM

Are you using a Radeon Card?

Omega drivers work well, although I'm not sure about the latest Catalyst drivers.

Also, turning off shadows and setting Complex Shader Dsitance to -1 should help a lot.  Although then the game looks like shite.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 08:55:36 AM

When it started, I was using an Nvidia 6200. After it started giving me shit, I switched it to my old Radeon 9600. I went with the Radeon partly because The Movies runs like monkey shit on the Nvidia card. I was still having problems with the Radeon on Saturday, but last night I played for about 30 minutes without problems. I set the graphic settings to balanced, then fiddled a bit. Before I'd done a lot of fiddling.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 10:18:30 AM

The latest catalyst drivers claim to fix the long running EQII stability issues they were having.  I haven't tested them myself, YMMV.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 10:20:44 AM

Yeah, I was using 6.1 Catalyst drivers(the latest) when it started giving me issues.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 10:22:35 AM

The latest catalyst drivers claim to fix the long running EQII stability issues they were having.  I haven't tested them myself, YMMV.

I tried running my 9800 pro with the latest drivers and found that the omega 5.2 were much more stable.  A friend that I play with was using the new drivers on his 9500 and was having all sorts of fits.  The older drivers seem much more reliable to me.

-  Mark Twain
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 03:50:19 PM

I'll say the Omegas are working better for me as well.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Welp, finally dl'd the Isle of Trial..  
Jump to: