Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:37:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: PvP 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PvP  (Read 2895 times)
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

on: January 28, 2006, 09:14:43 AM

I think our score stands 0-3.  Tell us how to improve oh wisemen of the boards.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 10:12:28 AM

Hey cargo containers fear our corp. You gotta start somewhere.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 10:17:47 AM

Only fight when you outnumber them eleventy-to-one?
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 12:22:40 PM

Hey cargo containers fear our corp. You gotta start somewhere.

DON'T JUDGE ME Mob
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 12:32:14 PM

I think it'll be easier to analyze what went wrong if you describe the three fights?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 03:49:59 PM

Well the only fight that went "wrong" was the lastest one.  There was 3 of us vs. a vigilant.  I opened fire too close to the guns and got ripped apart.  Then Irek and hal tried their best and get destroyed, but we destroyed his ship with the guns help.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 04:34:36 PM

On that note, as of this morning, my Bellicose is space-dust. Anyone willing to build me a Rupture?  :-D

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 06:49:28 PM

for my part i went to that fight knowing (well i didn't know) that i was gonna be short work, hey Ive only 3 weeks here and skills matter. hey, sometimes you gotta take one for the team. i went willingly. was an eye opening experience. im getting a little concerned about the strategic paths in and out of our forward base, but looking at the map it seems to be a common element for low sec access. anyway im trying to keep what can i do for the corp above what can the corp do for me. most all of you guys are fun to hang with and a few in corp seem knowledgeable and skilled. so much for my 2 isk. game on

I started with nothing and I still have most of it

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 02:05:51 AM

Just as a basis for comparison I'll relate my first death in Eve which happened over the weekend

While I've been playing something like 8 months (on and off since launch) I've never done 0.0 before, since I need zydrine and megacite<sp?> to make some stuff I decided to to have a go at ninja mining

In the spirit of 'dont fly what you cant afford to lose' I went out in the following:

Amar Crucifier
1x Miner 1, 1x Prototype Cloaking device (the only part of the setup not particularly cheap/easy to replace)
1x small shield booster, 1x 1mn afterburner, 1x small hull repairer, 1x sensor dampner
2x Warp core stabiliser, 1x small armour repairer

Now I'll admit dying was largely my own fault (note to self when the gate camper says you can leave the system dont think it doesnt mean you wont get shot at, ransomed and/or pod killed in the process!!!!!!!)

My first mistake was not using the cloak to make an instajump bookmark behind the gate as soon as I arrived (I would have been visible for less than a second).

My second mistake was (after scanning the whole system from the star while cloaked - nothing with zydrine grrrrrrrrr) warping to 15km of the gate to leave (see above comment about believing gate campers) rather than warping in at 100km, cloaking and then moving in (by the time the guy had got to my last known position I should hopefully be far enough away (cloak slows your ship massively) to be able to make it to the gate undetected)

I got killed by a crow (tech 2 interceptor) which basically tried to warp scramble me (failed) webbed me and then blew me to bits

My third mistake was not warping away the minute he tried to warp scramble me.

I have to admit to being slightly miffed that the guy only tried to 'toll' me once I was in a pod (at which point I'm much less likely to be receptive to the offer) and he actually killed me without actually telling me how much he wanted (not the brightest bulb in the box I think) - although I get the impression he wasn't a pirate, just a sentry for the owning alliance of the system (first jump into 0.0 from empre)

Had I been in something a little tougher (say a cruiser with assault launchers) I doubt he would have bothered or I could have put up a fight (at which point he probably would have run away), point being is that its very difficult to build a generic loadout thats going to be good at everything (or should I say anything) you are going to face when you are facing people probably setup for specific task (e.g. gate camping tacklers or snipers), I guess your average belt rat is the easiest to equip for.

-edit-
typos
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 03:50:35 AM by 5150 »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 03:48:02 AM

That is why I am liking the PvP here so much - no one ship can possibly counter anything and everything. Even if you like your setup, it's going to have multiple weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

Personally, I've only been putting up token resistance to pirates, as I'd rather run away than get blown away. However, this is when I am alone. If I have even 1 other person with me, I usually put up a fight.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 10:18:54 AM

Had I been in something a little tougher (say a cruiser with assault launchers) I doubt he would have bothered or I could have put up a fight (at which point he probably would have run away), point being is that its very difficult to build a generic loadout thats going to be good at everything (or should I say anything) you are going to face when you are facing people probably setup for specific task (e.g. gate camping tacklers or snipers), I guess your average belt rat is the easiest to equip for.

He probably still would have gone after you, even in as large as a battleship.  Intys are fast little ships so they avoid all but the fastest-tracking guns, and they pack a nice punch to boot. I've read that they're fantastic little gank ships, and there's only a few setups good for taking them out.. which of course means you can't do as well against larger stuff.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 02:25:24 PM

My dual target painters do alright against any frigate-sized vessels.

Having them outright resist my damage is an entirely different matter.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 03:40:28 PM

So far, I survived 3 pirate attacks in my Thorax.

First attack, a guy in a Thorax or a type 2 Thorax warped in to where I had just finished off some rats. He was right on top of me maybe at 2km (he got the drop on me for the most part). We trade fire while I try to warp out (being scrambled). We both took about the same amount of damage (shields and maybe half armor gone) before I finally got more than 7.5k away from him and warped out. From my point of view he was rocking me but he said in local chat that he thought it was a tie.

Second attack, there were a couple battleships camping a gate from long range. I warped in and turned on AB running for the gate. I don't know if they were both blasting me or what but they ate through my shields and about 7/8ths of my armor before I jumped (5k armor).

Third attack, I warped into a gate and there is a guy blinking red. He's scrambling me, I check his info, see only 2k shields (I don't remember anything else about his ship), I break off from the gate, hit 2k orbit, and launch my drones. He chews through my shields and I chew through his. He warps out.

One interesting thing about the last one is at that point I tried to use the jump gate and it told me you can't jump because you've been aggressive recently or some such. After about 30-60 seconds it lets me jump out.
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 01:39:07 AM

One interesting thing about the last one is at that point I tried to use the jump gate and it told me you can't jump because you've been aggressive recently or some such. After about 30-60 seconds it lets me jump out.

Yeah apparently you can jump if you recently attacked something. You can jump if you are under attack but dont return fire though.

I guess its to stop 'zonewhoring' where you simply jump to safety if you start to lose (not sure if thats the Eve term, but often used by the Neocron community to describe the behaviour)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: PvP  
Jump to: