Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:03:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Yaaarrr! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yaaarrr!  (Read 6901 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

on: January 26, 2006, 02:22:59 PM

Since this thread hasn't been made yet, I'll make it!

It seems there's a few folks in the corp who want to be pirates and prey on innocent little chinese farmers.
Is anyone interested in being a Pirate Corp(tm) or should we ostracise those evil bastards and burn their clothes in a barrel?

My only concerns are folks who want to be somewhat peaceful being hassled because they are in a known pirate corp (ok ok it might take a few months before anyone knows us). But if those peaceful carebears played in mostly secure space I'm not sure it'd be a big deal. Maybe?

- Viin
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 02:24:18 PM

Forgot to mention, we could also make a sister corp for the pirates. X13 or something (since that guy in that other thread was kind enough to suggest a new name). Makes it harder to share items and such tho.

- Viin
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 02:45:52 PM

You're probably better off splitting into two corps if some of you want to go pirate. Hanging mostly in secure space is no protection if other corps declare war on you.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 03:02:46 PM

My vote would be to do nothing provokeable right now. We don't have the assets to fight off a directed attack. And at least be clever and name yourself "Corpnews" or something.. I kid Mr. Crick. I kid.

I think Bat Country would be a much better PvP corp name then F13 anyways.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 04:28:45 PM by Furiously »

WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 03:52:24 PM

I would like to stay a + Sec stat corp. As Fur said, Bat Country would be a good pirate corp name if we wanted to spin some alts into it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 04:50:05 PM

I agree, a separate corp for our out-and-out pirates would probably be for the best. We can use escrow and the chat channel to trade stuff as necessary.

My personal biases make me think that 'Barbery Coast' would be a good pirate corp name, but then, I don't plan to roll a pirate any time soon.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 07:31:42 PM

Please, no one make a pirate corp yet with those names yet.  Bleh, I say  tongue

Yeah I was going to make this thread and then I got lazy.  So here what I was gonna do. 

My rifter setup, taken from the Pirate boards. 
High: 3x 150mm with EMP, 1x small nos. 
Medium:  Afterburner, Warp Scrambler, Webber
Low:  Small armor rep

Once I can fit mwd (tomorrow!) its going to be this:
3x 150, Nos
MWD, WS, Web
Small armor rep, 200mm plate, Capacitor Relay

Scanner:  Learn it, use it, love it.  Very useful scanner thread:
http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=284352

Finding victims:  The biggest hurdle in my pirate career so far.  If someone has advice for me, I'd love to hear it.  There's very little point in going after the foolish 1 week old people that go into lowsec (whom seem to be the most common); their ships have no worthwhile mods and they can't pay a decent ransom. 

Popping pods is a huge security hit, I recommend avoiding it until you feel comfortable permanently living in low-sec.       

Edit: spelling is hard
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:14:06 PM by Raging Turtle »
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 07:43:41 PM

I think i should state that i'm probably the one most responsible for nudging Viin into making this thread. However, while i'm primarily playing EVE because of it's open pvp, i do agree that we should hold off in trying to become some kind of uber-ginsu machine of death (and piracy).

Mostly, i was thinking of either going after bounties, which is notoriously hard because of how random they are, or just holding people up for ransom (and not actually podding or maybe even killing anyone). With that in mind, i've put together a Griffin for the express purpose of snaring people, so that anyone who would like to partner up with me can concentrate on the business end; 3x named cap drainers in the top slots, a webber, scrambler, passive targeter and some kind of jamming system in the mids (and a pds variant in the low).

Basically, i think we should do a roll-call to see who is interested in the possibility of doing something naughty, and then decide.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 10:35:10 PM

I'll do whatever
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 10:38:28 PM

If you want people to pay you a ransom, you need multiple webbers.  Two 90% webbers will pretty much freeze them in place.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 02:28:00 AM

I personally would use an alt for this kind of thing (I dont have a pirate alt but he is 100% combat and in a 'bounty hunter/assasins for hire' kind of corp - nothing serious just me and my friends messing about with low end PvP - clones are cheaper!)

You can sometimes find PC rats in some deadend low sec systems off of high sec. I can think of at least one example of a dead end 0.4 in the heart of Caldari space. Unfortunately you only tend to get idiots or starting PC rats in there because if their sec drops too low they wont be able to leave the system!

Had a guy in a kestrel last night attacking miners there (its usually safe to [newbie] mine there because its a deadend) I was out there in my caracal with a friend in a ferox npc ratting - needless to say when the guy showed up red in the overview he didnt hang around long enough for me to find out what modules he had installed  :-D (I think the missile salvo might had had something to do with his swift departure)

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 03:29:58 AM

PvP ?  Heart

I'm in.

When I can get back online of course   0.0 DPS

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 10:01:43 AM

I am not opposed to having a pirate character, but my current one isn't it.  A separate pirate corp is, I think, the way to go.

I can come up with dozens of terrible corp names.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 10:32:28 AM

I can come up with dozens of terrible corp names.

"Teh Pie Rats"?

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 10:57:58 AM

Puffy Shirts
Drivin Me Nuts
Conpodulations
ISK PLZ LOLZ
Hairy Podders
Oh Pod: Book II
Darth Boba Hutt
Figpuckers
We Shot First
The Pillage People
Dance With Yo Dates
P1r4tz uv P1nz4ntz

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 11:07:33 AM

Them ain't bad :) 

"The Crimson Permanent Assurance" is probly THE appropriate EVE pirate name, but I'm sure it's taken.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 12:35:42 PM

I'm really up in the air about it....

I don't wanna lose friends/allies by staying in one corp or the other.

I don't feel like being accosted because of guilt by association, when I am in no position to fight off aggressors. I have enogh trouble with random solo pirates.

But I do like the idea of blowing idiots up.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 01:02:03 PM

I think I might take a break from pirating until I have a better chance of surviving against things that aren't frigates or players in strict pve/mining setups. 
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 05:25:38 PM

If you're looking for (relatively) easy targets and don't mind using throwaway ships (because you will get concordokened sooner or later, ore-thievery flagging fun aside), there's a channel called macrointel dedicated to hunting down macro-miners and blowing them up.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 05:51:07 PM

Oh really? hmm that might be interesting

- Viin
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 12:40:23 AM

I'm up for piracy later in life but i'm still building skills and ISK so for now i'll just be running missions and moseying around. But if we do set up a separate rat guild i'd be interested.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006, 02:07:00 PM

I have no problem with smacking a macroing miner. Fuck that shit.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
alaph
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 30, 2006, 05:34:01 AM

Yarrrrrr.....well met travlers

iPod would be a good tounge in cheek pirate corp name. I'm stocking up for a career change in the near future. I have a corp name in mind but giving nothing away yet.

Cougar
Developers

Mythic Entertainment

Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 06:16:44 AM

If you want people to pay you a ransom, you need multiple webbers.  Two 90% webbers will pretty much freeze them in place.

--Dave

Piracy, when ransoming is involved, is only going to happen in .1-.4 space, and only in belts. If you try to ransom at a gate or a station (where dual webs would be useful), the ransomee is just going to stall while the sentry guns whail on you, so you'd have to kill it anyways just to get something for your effort. When you are belt pirating, there is no need to freeze them in place. Belt piracy needs warp scrambles, and lots of them.

~C~
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 07:03:26 AM

--Dave

Piracy, when ransoming is involved, is only going to happen in .1-.4 space, and only in belts. If you try to ransom at a gate or a station (where dual webs would be useful), the ransomee is just going to stall while the sentry guns whail on you, so you'd have to kill it anyways just to get something for your effort. When you are belt pirating, there is no need to freeze them in place. Belt piracy needs warp scrambles, and lots of them.

I dont know if this is still true today but there were setups that could tank sentry damage. Do scramblers stack then, I thought you just had to fit one with a large rating?

Why do you say that piracy doesnt occur in 0.0?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 08:56:25 AM

Scramblers stack, but so do stabalizers.  So you have to hope you've got more stacked than your prey does, or work in teams to ensure you do.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Yaaarrr!  
Jump to: