Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:27:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: LOTR RTS? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LOTR RTS?  (Read 2665 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: May 20, 2004, 09:04:10 PM

Heard there is a LOTR RTS coming out that's meant to be good.  Anyone know anything about it?

I tried searching for it but way, way too many LOTR things out there.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 09:45:52 PM

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth

That's the one from E3 at least, so is the newest LoTR RTS I guess. Other than a crapload of elements on screen, like enough to rival Rome: Total War, I have no idea what it's about.

What do you consider a "good" RTS? It's been awhile since I've played, so the newest thing I saw was Hero units.... which was just one more thing to filter into The_Perfect_Build_Order_01 that every Dune ripoff has been for the decade since.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 04:53:49 AM

If nothing else, Battle for Middle Earth will at least put you in the middle of all the famous battles. Aside from playing that experience, it doesn't look like a far cray from WC3. They do have a piece about Unit Emotions which is pretty interesting. All the units will react appropriately for their situation. For example, units that win a battle will cheer and cry to press onward instead of just standing still and waiting. Units that are being trampled by a huge oliphant will scattered and run for their lives. The list goes on. I believe Gamespy has a piece on it and there's a movie that shows off this particular feature with running commentary from a developer.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 05:24:01 AM

hobbit rush keke ^^
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 06:02:54 AM

Quote from: Darniaq
What do you consider a "good" RTS? It's been awhile since I've played, so the newest thing I saw was Hero units.... which was just one more thing to filter into The_Perfect_Build_Order_01 that every Dune ripoff has been for the decade since.

Thanks for the link, good rts?  Dunno last ones I played and enjoyed would be Dune 2, C & C then Starcraft.  I got bored with it after that but thinking been a long time might try some again.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 08:58:21 AM

Ah cool. Then yea, Battle for Middle Earth will be a good one to check out RTS games through. Unless they remove resource mining altogether (as they have in Warhammer: Dawn of War), it'll be just similar enough to C&C that it'll be easily approachable, but probably different enough with the integration of Hero characters to be interesting.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: LOTR RTS?  
Jump to: