Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: The Training Room, new Test Server 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Training Room, new Test Server  (Read 2521 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

on: May 20, 2004, 04:33:21 PM

Cut and paste info from: http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/item238.html

Complete details

We have a new server called The Training Room. It's the City of Heroes test server. Welcome!

What is a test server?

It’s your chance to preview upcoming changes and updates and provide feedback to the developers on our new test server.

The test server is set up specifically for the testing of updates before they are incorporated into the game itself. Players can login, preview/test the planned new features, fixes, changes, tweaks and offer up bug reports or suggestions.

How does a test server differ from a "live" server?

Due to the nature and purpose of a test server, the operative word to keep in mind is "temporary."

• Content and characters could be wiped at anytime as game specific updates and changes are published, tested and removed.

• Players can expect lower levels of support, since the bulk of this service is centered around our live servers.

• Normal bug reporting and petitions will be handled a bit differently, as all issues need to be given more time for in-depth study, review and reproduction.

Here’s how to install the test server client:

1. Locate the "CohUpdater.exe" file. If you installed the game from the retail cd, this will be in the game directory, which is "C:\Program Files\City of Heroes" by default.

2. Create a shortcut to this file.

3. Open the Properties for the newly created shortcut. In the "Target" window, add the following flag to the end of the line: [space]-test

5. Run this shortcut.

The first time you run the shortcut, you will be asked if you want to install the test client to the default directory. Choose "Yes" if you want to install it there, or choose "No" if you want to choose a different directory. It is recommended that you install the test client in a different location than your normal game client.

Once the test client is installed, you can launch the test client by using this same shortcut.

Additional Information:

• The test client does not include an uninstall program. To remove it, you will have to delete it manually.

• If you uninstall the normal game client, it will remove the "CohUpdater.exe" file. If you plan to remove the normal game client but continue to use the test client, be sure to make a copy of this file first.

We have a new CoH board forum entitled “The Training Room” where you can post your comments, bugs, suggestions and other feedback. So please visit!

Thank you for participating! We look forward to your feedback!

No word on if the level progression is faster or anything like that.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 04:59:50 PM

I'm assuming not.   So we're looking at an old skool test server with no real incentive to play on it.   It'll probably get about zero use unless a certain wierd minority takes up residence there like was the case with EQ's test server.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 09:42:41 PM

I'd rather a server that only allowed the use of Cryptic-rolled character templates with assigned focus objectives for the evening. Open test servers just become boutique MUD environments for the relative few that decide to make their home there.

If they had one or two Test Events a week, to test specific things with specific templates, perhaps giving the players a choice of 8 different templates from their Character Selection screen, that'd get them somewhere close to a useful testing system.

Right now what they've got is the same useless litany of forum posting about this cry or that cry. How is it that no MMOG company has integrated anything that approaches a useful testing system?
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 12:16:17 AM

Quote from: Darniaq
If they had one or two Test Events a week, to test specific things with specific templates, perhaps giving the players a choice of 8 different templates from their Character Selection screen, that'd get them somewhere close to a useful testing system.

I don't think it would.  They already test the specific things they think need testing internally on their dev server(s).  What actually needs testing is "everything else", ie. they need to know if their changes to A broke something completely unexpected in B, something they weren't looking for.  For that you need beta-style monkey testing.

As for ideas like accelerated XP and instant leveling, well that certainly sounds like a lot of fun, but a) then you're testing a different game than the one you're going to roll out to live, and b) historically on systems like that the players just use the test server to experiment with different skill combinations, doing free rerolls - they don't actually go out and play the game in a way that would be useful for general testing purposes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 07:55:34 AM

This should help a bit...

Hi folks.

Many of you have been inquiring whether or not you can have your characters from the live servers transferred to The Training Room for testing purposes. We realize that this would be extremely advantageous for you - especially since it would allow you to play on the Test Server with your higher level characters.

We will be bringing this functionality to you very soon -- it is in progress and we'll make it available just as soon as humanly possible. So hang tight - it's on the way - promise!

Until that time, we would still very much appreciate you creating brand new characters and using them to test material here in The Training Room as it becomes available to you.

Thanks very much for your help!

-Aura

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 10:51:22 AM

Still not very good incentive.   Yes, we're going to make it so you can transfer a copy of your character to the test server.   Incidently, we'll still be pwiping the test server from time to time.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 11:58:41 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich
Still not very good incentive.   Yes, we're going to make it so you can transfer a copy of your character to the test server.   Incidently, we'll still be pwiping the test server from time to time.

You're probably right.  It's hard enough to get people to use test servers with the allure of extra special uber fat xp and loot, let alone with the promise of a periodic wipe.  Not that it matters to me... I can't get the wretched  thing to work anyway.  It seems to be stuck in a never-wending download loop.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 08:39:32 AM

Without character copy or some form of advanced leveling, using the test server is just something I'll never do. I barely have time to play more than an hour or two a night. There's just no way I'm going to bother logging into a test server with potential character wipes just to test something.

I'd prefer a testing environment that allows you to create characters at a set level range. If you're adding new content for levels 30-50, only let people create level 30-50 characters. If it's something that goes across the board, let people set their level.

If it becomes just another "boutique MUD" server like Darniaq said, it'll be pretty close to useless, IMO.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: The Training Room, new Test Server  
Jump to: