Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:41:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: The Official Web Page Launch (and suggestion) thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official Web Page Launch (and suggestion) thread  (Read 11908 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 19, 2004, 09:38:21 AM

Talk about our new web page launch down here. It's up if you haven't noticed.

We're already looking into a good slick way to implement a 'recent additions' list - the last one was, well, sucky.
Snowspinner
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 09:46:43 AM

CRF and WT should have links somewhere on the page that move back and forth between the two.

Also, what will the frontpage be doing? Will it aggregate the two individual pages? Have the best content of each? Always just have that same welcome message until the end of time?

I will bellow like the thunder drum, invoke the storm of war
A twisting pillar spun of dust and blood up from the prairie floor
I will sweep the foe before me like a gale out on the snow
And the wind will long recount the story, reverence and glory, when I go
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 09:47:25 AM

Quote from: Snowspinner
Also, what will the frontpage be doing? Will it aggregate the two individual pages? Have the best content of each?

Yes.

Always just have that same welcome message until the end of time?

No.
dyvvu

Email
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 10:07:42 AM

I liked the old WT.O layout's daily banners... any chance of seeing those again?
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 10:08:39 AM

Quote from: dyvvu
I liked the old WT.O layout's daily banners... any chance of seeing those again?

This isn't the old waterthread, n00bler. I'm pretty sure Joe's happy to see them gone also.
dyvvu

Email
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 11:27:26 AM

Oh noes!
Tag Plastic

Email
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 01:24:09 PM

Just a quicky nitpick on the design - I'm looking at the WT front page and I see four, maybe five different fonts, including the banner. Depends how much you give a shit about things like that, but I did think "ew" when I first clapped eyes on it. It bollockses up the nice clean look a bit.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 02:42:02 PM

I am having MAJOR trouble seeing the scroll bar on the forums. Not that I use the scroll bar that much, but to skip to the bottom of long thread, its nice. In a basement im sure its fine, but with any sort of glare, its invisible.
Snowspinner
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 03:59:23 PM

/looks to right of screen

Not sure what your problem is, Morph.

I will bellow like the thunder drum, invoke the storm of war
A twisting pillar spun of dust and blood up from the prairie floor
I will sweep the foe before me like a gale out on the snow
And the wind will long recount the story, reverence and glory, when I go
Anonymous

Email
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 04:08:55 PM

He's using IE.  In IE, the scrollbar is black.

You are using Firefox.  You don't have these issues.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 05:46:40 PM

Quote from: Morphiend
I am having MAJOR trouble seeing the scroll bar on the forums. Not that I use the scroll bar that much, but to skip to the bottom of long thread, its nice. In a basement im sure its fine, but with any sort of glare, its invisible.

To skip to the bottom of a long thread, you could just tap the End key on the keyboard. Just a thought if the scrollbar continues to be a problem.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Admiral

Email
Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 06:06:55 PM

Glad to be back.

Been ultra-busy with work and preparations for the imminent arrival of the new baby (ok, it's two months and a bit away).

See y'all around!

Cheers,

Doug
"The Admiral" (handle since mid-80s)
"Callie" on FFXI
TheTick
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 06:19:10 PM

One bit, and it's less a bitch than a suggestion (primarily 'cause I'm not certain I haven't just missed the sonuvabitch): shouldn't there be a way to get to the front page from the forums?  I mean, besides the obligatory link back to the story from the comment thread.

If I've missed said link and it was blatantly obvious, lay teh smackdown.

B.
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 06:22:05 PM

Good call, Tick.
It's not there yet, but it's a quick fix. Look for it in the next day (our main coder is currently drinking himself silly, and I'm afraid of messing with anything of his beyond the CSS.

On second thought, it's only a little htm-- NO JOE, NO!
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 07:40:49 PM

Quote from: schild
Quote from: dyvvu

This isn't the old waterthread, n00bler. I'm pretty sure Joe's happy to see them gone also.

But how will I know if I can drink during lunch?
johnarras

Email
Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 03:00:23 PM

The links in the forum posts look the same color as the regular text and aren't underlined unless I move the mouse over them. I've tried this in IE and Mozilla and it looks the same in both. (Some links show up, but some don't and I'm not sure what the difference is atm...)
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 04:25:10 PM

The font for waterthread.f13.whatever.com.org isn't good. Go with something more neutral in style like courier new. The Times New Roman is too "manual typewriter" for my eyes, especially with the white on SS Officer color template.

And I miss the "story icon" that gave me a visual identification as to the topic of the update.

PS: the design reminds me of when Savant basically wholesale lifted Lum's old website design. Its too "Lumthemad.net" to make me comfortable reading it. Sorry, but thats just the way it is. Its like if some knockoff north korean tennis shoe company came up with its own 'swoosh' logo and tried to make people think they were getting Nike's at a really good discount.

Don't be the knock-off discount Lumthemad.net - mix up the layout a little bit. This feels like I'm digging up bones of my forefathers - its just not respectful, y'know? I mean, if Savant can do the right thing, why not Schild.

Oh, right. Now I see.

unbannable
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 07:07:19 PM

Well I coded the website, and I have no idea who this Lum guy is.   The site's design is all about content,  lots of information available without having to wade through uncessary images... very functional.  The font is actually Verdana and not Times New Roman,  which I thought was pretty obvious.  Also, I find it odd you don't like white writing on a black background, people usually find it the most pleasing to read.

We don't claim to be the first ever webpage to have white text on a black background, sans any images to make the page look "super awezomez l337!!!".  In fact,  I bet that Lum guy wasn't the first either.  Well, anyway,  I think the page could use a bit more color, but I think I will save that for much much later.

I think we need to get rid of this opening page thingie, and just have Waterthread and F13 (or I guess we are called CRF now) combined on one page.  I think going to one page for game reviews and downloads, and another for movie, book, and misc reviews is stupid.  We also need cross-links from wto to f13 and vice versa right now, because once you go to one subdomain you can't easily transfer to the other.

Oh, right. Now I see.

That jab was necessary?  Everyone else seemed to post on topic without making any personal attacks on one of the admins.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 07:28:16 PM

Honestly, the black grey white has been done, and you're right..it's been done by everyone.

As far as the "personal attack" goes....that's kind of par for the group.

Thanks, though..for making the scrollbar visible in IE6.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Vercingetorix

Email
Reply #19 on: March 23, 2004, 02:31:47 AM

Quote from: CmdrSlack
Honestly, the black grey white has been done, and you're right..it's been done by everyone.

As far as the "personal attack" goes....that's kind of par for the group.

Thanks, though..for making the scrollbar visible in IE6.

More color themes would be nice. Choices & all.

An attack is validated by the defense it encounters.

The scrollbar is still not visible enough. More col... hum....

Choices & all.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 23, 2004, 04:49:23 AM

Quote from: Ookii
That jab was necessary?  Everyone else seemed to post on topic without making any personal attacks on one of the admins.

I believe standard procedure is to ban him immediately isn't it?
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 23, 2004, 05:56:33 AM

Oh, right. Now I see.

Welcome to the new Waterthread, now with 30% less smart.
It was a joke, you tool. It also stands as Exhibit A in the people's argument that the admins of F13.net don't have the first inkling of a clue as to what waterthread was,is - or who has been a member of its small club for years.

Just so you know, the website that is the reason there was a waterthread was called lumthemad.net - if you never saw it, look at waterthread.f13.net to get a pretty good idea of what it was.

oh, as for Veranda being "pretty obvious" - what are you insane? It looks like Times New Roman. Name for me one single person on this website to whom Veranda vs Times New Roman qualifies as "pretty obvious".

As to the notion that my post is par for the course for bans, at least I made it past the 'pre-bans' that are being bandied about. I honestly don't think I'll last long anyway since I'm still in the 'Schild is a bit of a tool" camp. Now that I'm checking out apartments in the "ookii is also tool" part of town, I dont expect to be permitted here much longer.

Joe of course wouldn't stand for me being banned, but unless I ICQ him and say, "hey Joe I got banned a few weeks back", he's not likely to find out.

Peace out,

unbannable
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #22 on: March 23, 2004, 06:05:55 AM

I have no idea who this Lum guy is.

This is a huge part of what so many folks have a problem with. This community has existed for several years, and I can appreciate people being upset that some admins in it's current incarnation know nothing about it's origins and/or history.

Arc didn't get the memo about dissent being unwelcome here.

Bring the noise.
Cheers................
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 23, 2004, 10:20:09 AM

Dissent's fine. Most people disagree with me. Being a dick isn't ok, unless it's funny. Arc wasn't being a dick, and was kinda funny.

Actually, no one has been pre-banned. We decided on that early. About ten people decided to be shitheads on the first day the boards went live, and Soul and I banned them for it. Hell, even HRose and Bruce are getting second chances (Soul is probably going to shoot me over the latter).

Beyond that, we're still working on shit. We were debating on porting the old forum database over, but someone leaked the existence of the new site over before we had time to act, hell, before I had time to notify most developers, and we're left with this. If it's really an issue, I can probably try some database finagling.
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 23, 2004, 11:04:25 AM

All I'm saying is this:

1. the font on the front is yuck. Use the font in the forum instead.

2. the front looks like a Scott Jennings Joint. Do something different.

3.  stop asking readers to post their impressions and suggestions.

unbannable
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #25 on: March 23, 2004, 03:21:24 PM

Well I coded the website, and I have no idea who this Lum guy is.

Some where Baby Jesus is crying.

If you dont get it. There is no use explaining.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #26 on: March 23, 2004, 06:13:47 PM

Quote from: pestilence
WAH, GOODBYE 2 ALL MY INTARWEB FRIENDS FOREVAR

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, bitch.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
SavageX

Email
Reply #27 on: March 23, 2004, 07:44:33 PM

Sadly knocking off this is a good way to get called a tool.  Tool.  If you didn't catch the connection, or someone instructed you to do this, you are still a tool.  Learn your audience before you create a document, understand their history and needs, and maybe, just maybe you will climb out of the tool box one day soon.

Till then, ta ta.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #28 on: March 23, 2004, 07:57:30 PM

Quote from: Fabricated
Quote from: pestilence
WAH, GOODBYE 2 ALL MY INTARWEB FRIENDS FOREVAR

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, bitch.

Not like I'm well-known enough to ask...but who are you supposed to be again?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
SavageX

Email
Reply #29 on: March 23, 2004, 07:58:18 PM

He's Fabricated!

*laughs*

Perfect!
Anonymous

Email
Reply #30 on: March 23, 2004, 08:42:09 PM

Since no one seems to have reasonable suggestions other than "LOL U SUX" I'm locking this.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: The Official Web Page Launch (and suggestion) thread  
Jump to: