Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Open Source Components 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Open Source Components  (Read 4285 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: January 17, 2006, 06:25:04 AM

I was looking at the credits of Eve last night while playing, and notice they credit Ogg Vorbis, JPEG and some open Font project.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a good team is using open source, but I was.  Anyone know of any other similar examples?  I'm referring not to tools like Blender, but libs and enabling technology like Ogg Vorbis.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 09:27:26 AM by Soln »
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 10:45:42 AM

Eve is also using Stackless Python too. The DAOC servers runs on Linux as far as I remember.
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 11:23:39 PM

Anything made with GarageGames technology (TGE, T2D, TSE) uses opensource libs just like mentioned: ogg/vorbis, jpeg, theora now with our TGE 1.4 release.

Minions of Mirth bound python on top of the stock Torque scripting language as well, although that isn't common.

Finally, while it can't be used commercial, our Torque Network Library actually has an opensource license.

Sorry to pontificate on GG stuff, but hey, it is my day job ;)

Rumors of War
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 12:31:41 AM

A number of game companies have used Ogg Vorbis for sound including Epic for UT 2003 which was one of the earlier games to do so I believe. WoW uses Lua for their UI scripting engine and Civ IV uses Python for their AI/game scripting.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 07:21:15 AM

Anything made with GarageGames technology (TGE, T2D, TSE) uses opensource libs just like mentioned: ogg/vorbis, jpeg, theora now with our TGE 1.4 release.

Minions of Mirth bound python on top of the stock Torque scripting language as well, although that isn't common.

Finally, while it can't be used commercial, our Torque Network Library actually has an opensource license.

Thanks Stephen.  I have an indie Torque license and recommend it to all.  I presumed you guys use OpenSSL and other, but I haven't been able to find a list of credits.  I'll post a question to the forum later.  Thx.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 09:41:37 AM

We dont' make or run games, but our massive IT enterprise is littered with open source.  Good examples are openSSH and Vim.  Perl comes with everything these days.  Bad examples are Linux servers.  My team's documentation server is Apache on AIX.  We are looking at replacing our shit-shit-shitty CD/DVD jukebox with a Linux ISO server, since AIX nfs does not work on ISO images.  Generally we only roll out opensource products when there is no real commercial alternative.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 10:27:36 AM

Thanks Stephen.  I have an indie Torque license and recommend it to all.  I presumed you guys use OpenSSL and other, but I haven't been able to find a list of credits.  I'll post a question to the forum later.  Thx.

Not within the tech itself, but as needed for dev requirements, absolutely.

We also company recommend to employees interns just about all open source applications: OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.

Rumors of War
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 11:32:22 AM

I've also implimented (as third party plugins) wrappers of Python, Audiere, and Ogg Vorbis for use in 3D Gamestudio.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 11:45:22 AM

I've also implimented (as third party plugins) wrappers of Python, Audiere, and Ogg Vorbis for use in 3D Gamestudio.

that's an eye catcher -- WTG.  Any info on it off yer blog?
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 04:17:19 PM

No, the all of the third party plugins I've implimented for 3DGS are available here. Most of them were written for A5.24 and A5.55+. Any of the graphical plugins I implimented for it no longer work in A6.3+ because the Acknex engine has switched to DirectX9 and there is no Delphi SDK for Acknex 6.3+. The non-graphical plugins like the Python wrapper still work in the latest version of Acknex 6 with some minor tweaking.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 04:19:01 PM by Krakrok »
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 12:08:42 PM

Anyone familiar with Irrlicht?  Good/bad/indifferent?  And why?.... /discuss
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 01:53:50 PM

Unless you are planning on selling the game .. which I'm not sure you can do anyways, depending on what open source license they use .. why not use Valve's Source engine? It's got awesome tools, great tutorials, and an available playerbase.

- Viin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Open Source Components  
Jump to: