Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:28:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: EVE on your mobile? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EVE on your mobile?  (Read 9210 times)
Wolf
Terracotta Army

on: January 16, 2006, 01:31:56 AM

Announced at the Fanfest back in October was CCP’s intention to release a mobile edition of EVE. Currently the product of a joint research project between CCP and Reykjavik University, a limited prototype client is already running on GSM phones, which allow users to log into the game, access characters, set skill training and manage items.

“EVE is a game where you can do a lot of things without having full 3D,” says Hilmar Petursson, CCP’s CEO. “We are focusing on everything that can be done in-station and hopefully players will also be able to chat and monitor chat channels, although this is one of the more difficult parts to implement.”

“It’s coming along,” he adds, “but there are a lot of commercial and security issues to work out.”

From Kill Ten Rats

Wow! I've always thought that would be a nice idea.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 02:03:56 AM

Wow! I've always thought that would be a nice idea.

Ditto.

But I would settle for character management without the client. Last time I checked, you could look at your character stats/skills via account-management. If only you could set skills to train without firing up the client Heart

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 06:27:08 AM

these guys are good
CadetUmfer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 08:44:11 AM

Hello f13.

I was thinking about this a lot last week, integrating web-based Habbo Hotelish stuff into a traditional MMO.

Actually there's a lot of activities during low-intensity periods that could be moved out of the "game."  Shopping, crafting, guild management, igemail, chat, fiddling around with character/inventory stuff...

Basically a level of interaction between "actually playing the game" and "just cruising the forums."

Yeah, it'd take away some of the "worldiness" of the game, but for some games, worldiness-for-accessibility is the tradeoff to make.  Although EVE's so far in the negatives for accessibility that it's beyond hope.

Anthony Umfer
Developer, LiftOff Studios
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 08:55:41 AM

Yeah, it'd take away some of the "worldiness" of the game, but for some games, worldiness-for-accessibility is the tradeoff to make.  Although EVE's so far in the negatives for accessibility that it's beyond hope.

I don't understand this statement. I had never played the game before, fired up a trial account, and did fine.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
CadetUmfer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 09:07:18 AM

The average Jane-never-played-an-MMO can pick up WoW, go through tutorial, get spoon-fed 20 levels, and be fine.

Eve, on the other hand, has less direction, a more complicated advancement system, is a helluva lot slower and, from what I've heard, pretty much requires a Corp to enjoy.

I'm not knocking the Eve, it's a great niche game.  And that's one direction MMOs could definately be taking, especially if development costs come down.

Anthony Umfer
Developer, LiftOff Studios
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 09:17:51 AM

The average Jane-never-played-an-MMO can pick up WoW, go through tutorial, get spoon-fed 20 levels, and be fine.

Eve, on the other hand, has less direction, a more complicated advancement system, is a helluva lot slower and, from what I've heard, pretty much requires a Corp to enjoy.

I'm not knocking the Eve, it's a great niche game.  And that's one direction MMOs could definately be taking, especially if development costs come down.

I agree with Cadet here on all counts.   Plus, while EvE in empire is pretty easy to get into and dick around shooting Pirates, EvE PvP gives me nightmares of running calculations and speadsheets for hours to find my 'optimal' layout for a 90 second battle.  (Yet another reason I haven't moved-on to a lowsec base).  I can only imagine the fits your average MMOer would have trying to play EvE.. and that's before their first podding.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 03:01:49 PM

I've always thought that being able to adjust what skill you are training on the website would be huge. It's really the only reason I need my personal laptop at work. From the comments I've seen, CCP has always said that won't do that because they always want you to login via the client (which I don't understand - I mean, $10/m is $10/m whether I use their client or not) so it's good to see they are at least looking at alternatives.

I wonder if they are planning on charging for the new cell phone client?

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 07:45:03 PM

If they are going to do this why not just let people queue up skills for training?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 07:52:19 PM

If they are going to do this why not just let people queue up skills for training?

Maybe they don't currently have a way to stop you from skill training after you cancel (which seems to be the case), so if you set it up to train a ton of skills and then cancelled your sub you could come back 6 months later with 10 million skillpoints. It's a lame excuse if it's true.

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 08:16:08 PM

Interesting way to make sure people eventually resub.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 10:22:45 PM

Interesting way to make sure people eventually resub.
Interesting way of thinking, Schild.

JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 02:22:21 AM

I know people usually set Battleship lv5 when cancelling subscription:)
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 02:51:41 AM

Anyone knows if this works with the trial account as well ?

Could be a good way to reach frigate level 5 till I have my new internet connection set up in march.  Heart

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 06:52:13 AM

I can't concentrate on the words when Wolf's avatars are controlling my mind.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 08:52:11 AM

Maybe they don't currently have a way to stop you from skill training after you cancel (which seems to be the case), so if you set it up to train a ton of skills and then cancelled your sub you could come back 6 months later with 10 million skillpoints. It's a lame excuse if it's true.

Skill training runs for a month after you cancel your account, assuming you've set a month+ skill.  The only reason I can think for lack of queues is to keep skill training idlers somewhat engaged with the game logging in periodically, saying "hi" to corp mates and what have you.

Anyway, some way to change skills that doesn't involve logging on will be awesome.  Poopsocks can start taking long holidays again. :)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 10:07:10 AM

Wouldnt a catass just wait to max their skills then log in?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 10:14:06 AM

Wouldnt a catass gold farmer just wait to max their skills then log in?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 10:29:28 AM

That is the problem with offline skill adjustment or skill queueing- it makes it that much easier for people who sell ISK or accounts to manage large numbers of them at one time.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 10:44:15 AM

That is the problem with offline skill adjustment or skill queueing- it makes it that much easier for people who sell ISK or accounts to manage large numbers of them at one time.
In this game I do not have a problem with someone who buys an advanced account.

And to get ISK you have to do something.AFK mining is not very profitable I think.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 11:48:12 AM

My only thought is where are they mining? I'd wager there are a few corps that have people paying for their guildleadership's rent.

Or are they mining in high sec for safety and just sitting there afk with a macro throwing it into a dumpster and have a collection agent come around every so often?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 12:10:27 PM

There are sometimes large-scale miners that roll though Scolluzer, a .8 system, sometimes soaking up the entire belt.  I would not be surprised at AFK mining since I am able to completely ignore .8 pirate spawns in my mining-fitted Navitas frig.  When I do the drop, I come back with my combat Tristan and blast them, but I figure someone in a cruiser could safely ignore spawns in .7 or higher.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 01:41:16 PM

One of my future dreams in Eve is an all-out war on IGE-style operations. Brings up a lot of interesting facets, I think.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 03:07:00 PM

One of my future dreams in Eve is an all-out war on IGE-style operations. Brings up a lot of interesting facets, I think.

Already in progress; there's an interview up on evenews.com with the vigilantes that take on such operations. "Interview with the Macro Killers" or somesuch.
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 20, 2006, 01:32:06 PM

Anyone knows if this works with the trial account as well ?

Could be a good way to reach frigate level 5 till I have my new internet connection set up in march.  Heart

I don't think it will.  I do not think that Battleship Skill itself is trainable on a trial account.  You'd have to make it a legit account, then buy the Battleship skill to even be able to train it to Level 1.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 09:27:24 AM

I do not think that Battleship Skill itself is trainable on a trial account.  You'd have to make it a legit account, then buy the Battleship skill to even be able to train it to Level 1.
True that.

But I was looking at Frigate (Minmatar) Level 5.
My trial account runs out today. See you guys in game in 2 or 3 weeks.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: EVE on your mobile?  
Jump to: