Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:20:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Skill and Role Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Skill and Role Discussion  (Read 7157 times)
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

on: January 12, 2006, 02:37:59 AM

Let's see I'm into mining/refining/manufacturing with a bit of combat on the side.  I'd like to help gather and manfacture our ships and other goods as they come up.
The point I guess is so we can see what everyone else is planning to do is we can cross balance each other?
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 04:00:53 AM

I am more combat oriented, but I might dabble in the crafting part to satisfy my daily needs (ammo/modules/frigates/destroyers).

I might even pick up some mining skills, just to help out in a pinch. But I do not like mining. evil

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 06:43:52 AM

I'm primarily a fighter but also dabble in building so I have Production Efficiency 4 and refining 4. I'm strictly an amateur miner with just mining 4 so I can use the tech 2 lasers.

I'm almost finished getting all my Gunnery skills to 4 now and then I'm going to go for PE 5.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 07:53:48 AM

I'm almost finished getting all my Gunnery skills to 4 now and then I'm going to go for PE 5.
Catass!  Heart

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 08:53:08 AM

I'm Caldari State War Academy trained. So a mix of combat and research.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 09:33:01 AM

I am primarily ship-flying atm- enough skills to get things fitted. Eventually I would reallly like to get into research and production, but that might have to wait until I amass a bit more of a fortune.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 09:53:13 AM

Even with really lousy industrial skills you can save yourself some money making your own ammo and drones. If you check escrow there are BPC packs available for not too much money for all of the different ammo and drone types. A single production run of an ammo BPC makes 100 units so a 1500 run BPC will last you a good long time.

And ammo generally takes so few minerals that you can make all you need out of the mins you get from reprocessing junk loot.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 10:12:04 AM

I'm doing combat, speed, and social. I don't think I will be working towards anything larger than a cruiser at the moment though.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:58:29 AM by Krakrok »
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 11:20:39 AM

I'm duct tape - I do anything and everything that I think needs doing.

At the moment, that means a combination of combat (missiles/drones/Caldari Cruiser), mining (the barge & associated skills), industry (PE 3), science (Metallurgy, LabOps, Science), and trade (retail, broker relations). I have an inordinate number of other skills at level 1 simply because I go to a bookshop every week or two and buy up anything that I've recently fulfilled the prereqs for; that way I've got access to training stuff without having to go out of my way once I realize I need stuff. Expensive habit though. :)

I've taken my mining skills as far up as I'm willing to go in that tree, it's not worth 30 days of training to me to get a Covetor; I eventually intend to get refining and refinery efficiency up to use modulated mining lasers, but for now other people have been handling my refining needs. After I finish gunning on my advanced learnings, I'm beelining up to a battleship and then backfilling the skills that I'll need to support that platform. Then it's probably finishing off the advanced learnings and patching in more miscellaneous trade and industry skills, but I'll reevaluate things once I'm puttering around in a Raven. I'd also like to get Drones to 5 so I can get Drone Interfacing and utilize the big boosts to my drones from that.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 01:17:01 PM

I'm pretty much pure combat, and all things combat related. Missiles/guns/electronic warfare/etc... The only thing left for me until Cruisers atm, is Minmatar Cruiser 2 (and a goatload of money).

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 02:03:18 PM

I'm also pretty much combat oriented.  But I'd like to branch into some production and research, for when we build our spacestation  :-D

Xbox live: trotski44
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 02:18:25 PM

Once they release the bloodlines, I'll re-up and try being heavily EW.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 07:25:53 AM

Combat.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 10:56:20 AM

I find it hard to maintain focus but mostly I am concentrating on mining.  I am still really green, less that 600k skillpoints, but my intended focus is on mining and refining, probably manufacturing eventually, with a likely branch into trade, once I force myself to get those learning skills out of the way.  Learning is tough medicine because I would really like to work on the various mining and refining skills.  I have lv 4 Electronics from char gen but I am not getting a lot of use from it at the moment, and some ECM but of course I don't have a good platform for that sort of work.  A Science concentration would have been better, but whatever.

Recently I began doing missions to try and improve my standing with some select Gallente NPC corps, namely Astral Mining and the U. of Caille, and have spent time getting my "expensive" Gallente frig (Tristan) into shape for combat.  Thusly I have ended up with some basics in propulsion and the beginning of missile skills, even though my Tristan's powergrid is basically tapped out.  I go with my strengths and boost shields and armor.  As I mentioned, I am forcing myself to do the Learning skills before I make a run at Gallente Cruiser operation.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 12:07:23 PM

I am forcing myself to do the Learning skills before I make a run at Gallente Cruiser operation.

I should have all mine to 4 by tomorrow or Sunday. I am torn on whether I want to crank them to 5 and go for the advanced learning- them fuckers is spendy! The long term benefit is probably worth it though.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 12:12:41 PM

I personally took everything to 4 then took perception to 5 and took the advanced perception to 4 which gives me something like base 17 perception.  Most combat orientated skills are perception primary, I just couldn't stand to take any of the other stats to 5 although I expect I will do the same (basic to 5 advanced to 3-4) for int at some point if I end up playing EvE for another month or 3.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 12:51:02 PM

I am torn on whether I want to crank them to 5 and go for the advanced learning- them fuckers is spendy! The long term benefit is probably worth it though.

Fortunately, they are completely out of my price range and so there is no decision to be made.  Once basic learning is done, or at least Int and Mem and Learning, it's time for the mining and refining trees, probably science too, followed by trade unless something comes up to change my mind... like a gentle breeze or something.  I think I'll amass money/resources faster that way.

I personally took everything to 4 then took perception to 5 and took the advanced perception to 4 which gives me something like base 17 perception.  Most combat orientated skills are perception primary, I just couldn't stand to take any of the other stats to 5 although I expect I will do the same (basic to 5 advanced to 3-4) for int at some point if I end up playing EvE for another month or 3.

I am considering this for Int and Mem, which are currently like 16 and 18 respectively with the basic skills and Learning all at level 4.  Having such a high Mem and Int really helps cut down on the time to learn the Learning skills but it's still over five days to get one of those to level 5.  We will have to see what my wallet looks like when the time comes for the advanced ones.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Skill and Role Discussion  
Jump to: