Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:52:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Tradeskills 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tradeskills  (Read 6196 times)
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

on: January 10, 2006, 12:49:05 PM

First, a little housekeeping - (since I can't use the web based guild chat from my workplace to talk to y'all in-game) schild, I figured out what I was doing wrong with that quest. I ran past the guy I needed and was trying to talk to the wrong person  :oops: How very foolish of me. But that means the quest isn't busted and I'm good to go on completing it (not that it matters anyhow, I found out - just more easy experience).

Second and more importantly, I have gone the route of Scholar (or will be in a few more levels, but the quest mob let me select it already so the game has me (invisibly) flagged as such. Because of this, at level 20, I will be able to choose from three professions: Jeweler, Sage or Alchemist. Which would you all prefer that I pursue. As I told schild, I will not be quitting the game any time soon (I'll be playing for at least the next half year), but I play casually (about 3 days per week for a few hours) and will not be doing crafting exclusively. So, that being said, while a Sage would be beneficial, I may not be useful to the higher level folk for some time; however, I can pursue that trade if you would like. I'm rambling...

The short explanation: Vote for Wikybiky's final profession

-Jeweler
-Sage
-Alchemist

If I could post a poll on these boards I would, but looks like will have to tally by hand... the old fashioned way. Watch out for those pregnant chads or whatever. ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 02:07:49 PM

Sage. Scrolls. Thx.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 02:16:39 PM

Sage. Scrolls. Thx.

Sage. Scrolls. Thx.

If you do this I will focus on my tailor.  I REALLY want to make bags for some reason.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 02:19:55 PM

And I really want you to make cloth armor, cheddar.

Btw, I'm going Chef. Or whatever they call it in this game. I wanted to do it in SW:G back in the day, but I found this guy Sembel Ritari who was better at it than I ever could be. I think it's bizarre that I can remember the first and last names of all the main people in my SW:G guild.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 03:04:45 PM

And I really want you to make cloth armor, cheddar.

Btw, I'm going Chef. Or whatever they call it in this game. I wanted to do it in SW:G back in the day, but I found this guy Sembel Ritari who was better at it than I ever could be. I think it's bizarre that I can remember the first and last names of all the main people in my SW:G guild.

Send me supplies biznatch.  I will be installing a new HD on my 'puter either tomorrow or friday, so depending on when it arrives will depend on when I begin catassing crafting.  Which is not really catassing as it is so easy to level crafting, and fun to boot!  I will be tossing supplies to my crafter as well.  I CANNOT WAIT TO MAKE BAGS!!!

No really, bags rock. can never have TOO much room.  Plus the bags for throwing daggers is pure love.   I am giddy.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 05:17:34 PM

Boxes are nicer than bags.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 05:20:38 PM

You are incorrect.  Your illness has made you unintelligible.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 09:53:30 PM

What the hell are you talking about?  I'm completely telligible.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 05:39:59 AM

What the hell are you talking about?  I'm completely telligible.
I have to agree with Chedder.  Bags are great.  Boxes are nice, but only in the bank.  A box in the inventory is a huge... well, it's huge.  Most non-fighter types can only carry one and still move.  Some can't even carry that.  A fighter with high Str can often carry more than one... but is it worth it?  Dunno.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 05:57:28 AM

I have to agree with Chedder.  Bags are great.  Boxes are nice, but only in the bank.  A box in the inventory is a huge... well, it's huge.  Most non-fighter types can only carry one and still move.  Some can't even carry that.  A fighter with high Str can often carry more than one... but is it worth it?  Dunno.

Alkiera

Once you hit about level 40 carrying weight becomes almost meaningless for tank classes. Around level 50 for scout classes. My 58 swashbuckler carries 5 28 slot boxes and the 30 slot bag and is still not that close to the max weight.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 07:55:48 AM by UD_Delt »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 07:34:26 AM

I'm having this dilemma, too. I'm leaning toward Sage but having good grub and drink is so fundamental. No offense to you folks, but I don't count on anyone being around forever (incl myself).
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 07:52:55 AM

I'm having this dilemma, too. I'm leaning toward Sage but having good grub and drink is so fundamental. No offense to you folks, but I don't count on anyone being around forever (incl myself).

None taken and understandable as even if people are around, there's no guarantee that the level of items you need will be available. But what's your vote on my tradeskill? So far Sage is in the lead with, uh... two votes.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 12:20:45 PM

Well, I'd vote for you to be sage and make my spells for me so I can go chef!

Seriously, I dunno. Jeweler would probably be pretty nifty, too, given how EQ went. I just don't know. Like I said, I'm having a dilemma over this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 12:47:44 PM

I'm about to go chef. We're gonna need jeweler. If someone does go jeweler I'm going to stop selling my rare gems and stones and shit.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 12:54:12 PM

I have an alt assassin thats a level 20-something Jeweler on Steamfont (in freeport though).  I should just go ahead and re-up, I really want to.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 12:55:20 PM

We're having funz.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 01:28:12 PM

I have an alt assassin thats a level 20-something Jeweler on Steamfont (in freeport though).  I should just go ahead and re-up, I really want to.

Starting city doesn't really matter all that much anymore. Once you hit the 30's you're all exping in the same zones anyway. Even in the 20's most Evils prefer Steppes to Nek. You can also transfer stuff good side to evil side using the guild bank.

A Jewler and an Alchemist will be needed to make combat upgrades for Scouts and Fighters so I would suggest people work on those as well.

I also wouldn't waste too many rare stones on Jewelry until the 40's. You'll get much more mileage out of turning those into Adept 3 spells/skills.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 01:35:04 PM

I'm a Scholar currently, debating jewelry/alchemy.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 02:43:41 PM

I just hit level 11 and the motherfucking game just decided to make me a scholar. I WANTED TO BE A PROVISIONER. Same thing happened to Ookii. What the fuck is going on? Bad dice roll?
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 02:58:48 PM

Did you talk with a tradeskill guy before then, like long before then?

One of the NPC's you get one the parcel quests from is actually the same guy you chose from.  You may have accidently told him you want to be a scholar at some point.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 03:02:55 PM

That. Is. The. Stupidest. Mechanic. Ever.

Don't make me make elm chairs and shit if I chose before I even started that shit.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 06:59:59 AM

I believe somwhere in Qeynos. I think in the priest area there is a stone that should reset your initial tradeskill choice.

I'm not positive it's still there but it used to be...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 09:07:25 AM

I went Scholar. I'll go Sage.

Are we going to need an Alchemist?
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 09:09:27 AM

Is complaining a trade skill? I'd resub to the game to level that up.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006, 09:17:56 AM

When you get to level 10 in your skill, head to Qeynos Harbor.  If you think of the dock area like the right side of a U there is a tradeskill guy on the left side of the U that will let you join one of the 3 main tradeskill professions: Scholar, outfitter, or craftsman.  Then go back to your starting zone, quit the newbie tradeskill guild and join the appropriate specialty guild.  That will give you access to a merchant with higher level starting materials and recipes over level 10.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 09:57:18 AM

Is complaining a trade skill? I'd resub to the game to level that up.

It is and you'll never be better at it than me.

UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 10:10:43 AM

When you get to level 10 in your skill, head to Qeynos Harbor.  If you think of the dock area like the right side of a U there is a tradeskill guy on the left side of the U that will let you join one of the 3 main tradeskill professions: Scholar, outfitter, or craftsman.  Then go back to your starting zone, quit the newbie tradeskill guild and join the appropriate specialty guild.  That will give you access to a merchant with higher level starting materials and recipes over level 10.

You don't need to quit to the newbie guild. You can still be a member of both a newbie society and an advanced society. But you can only be a member of one of each type.

The higher level one's also no longer offer any sort of new materials other than the same fuels as in the newb society. You only really need to use them for the 10+ tradeskill books. Although you'll still need the newb society to get the crossover skill (apothecary, geomancy, weaving, timbercract) books.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 10:34:16 AM

You don't need to quit to the newbie guild. You can still be a member of both a newbie society and an advanced society. But you can only be a member of one of each type.

The higher level one's also no longer offer any sort of new materials other than the same fuels as in the newb society. You only really need to use them for the 10+ tradeskill books. Although you'll still need the newb society to get the crossover skill (apothecary, geomancy, weaving, timbercract) books.

Good to know.  The NPC's kept telling me that I couldn't join their association.  I now assume it's because I went to the wrong specialty place rather than it being a one_guild_at_a_time thing.

Thanks for the clarification.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 02:17:40 PM

The problem is the guy also gives like a L5 quest as well.  And at the same time, you might putz around click on something by accident.

We'll call it pulling a sterno.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #29 on: January 14, 2006, 03:27:15 PM

Interesting read over on the EQII Forums, looks like they are getting rid of making subcomponents in order to make final components (the obvious example here are spells and skills):

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=testfeed&message.id=41075

Couple roots, incence, raw malachite, raw elm, and you've got a app IV lightning bolt!

Wonder how this will work for provisioning (no more making sunfish steaks, refined basil, just to make a sandwich!)?

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 14, 2006, 04:21:16 PM

I like this change, as I like things complicated.

No doubt all the self-loathers are demanding it stay complicated to make their lives complete.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Tradeskills  
Jump to: