Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:41:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Travel Powers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Travel Powers  (Read 5204 times)
Bipolar

Email
on: May 18, 2004, 02:25:29 PM

I was going to take fly, have hover right now which i am glad to have for the defensive bonus as a defender/empathy.  But since I want to get Teleport Friend I will now have the option of Fly or Teleport for my travel power.  Question is, is one of these better than the other for travel?  One faster or less end intensive?  Maybe one is better for getting out of combat quickly, or positioning during combat?  Is there any PITA factor to using Teleport?

I have never had Teleport so I am unsure how it works vs Fly which is pretty darn straightforward.  Thanks in advance.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 03:08:09 PM

Teleport = the fast
Fly = slower but much greater control.

Teleport = Get the hell out of dodge quick in the open...
Fly = Get out of dodge sorta quick.
SuperJump = Get the hell out of dodge quick.

Current character has Hover and Fly, playing a blaster.

Do what you want, all are good, though I love fly.  Z Axis is the shiz.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 03:18:58 PM

I haven't tried any of the other travel powers, but Superjump is fast and fun, especially when you are hopping from rooftop to rooftop. I haven't raced against a Superspeeder or a Flyer but you can definitely move damn fast. It is somewhat useless inside though. Not enough room to make your bouncing worth it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 12:08:28 AM

Personally I hate trying to use hover without fly, even inside the *very* slow speed is bloody annoying.

If you run any toggle powers that slow you down, don't even consider trying to use hover without fly available for when you want to adjust your position.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 01:53:14 AM

If I would make my character again, I'd choose Hover to accompany my Teleport. Without it, its just a pain in the ass to control your jumps fast enough in the small hover phase you have after each teleport.
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 02:47:51 AM

One faster or less end intensive? Maybe one is better for getting out of combat quickly, or positioning during combat? Is there any PITA factor to using Teleport?

Teleport is faster but chews up endurance very fast. I've played with it with two DO end reducers and it still isn't possible to travel more than about a mile without running out of end along the way.

Teleport is definately the escape power of choice, Fly is better for short-distance positioning though. Unless you're teleporting to a surface you don't have any control over range, which can be frustrating.

Teleport positioning works like any targetted AoE like Fire Rain or Caltrops, you just have a 300' base range.

There's a keybinding you can set up to take a lot of the PITA factor out of teleport though:

/bind lshift+lmouse "powexec_name Teleport"

I wouldn't like teleport half as much without this. Having hover as well takes pretty much all of the rest of the pain away, leaving end usage as the only real problem.
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 03:27:01 AM

For covering ground fast, Super Jump seems to have a slight edge on Fly and Teleport - at least my anecdotal experience in groups with people who have all different travel powers is that the jumpers are the first to arrive.  And its endurance consumption is minimal, which is nice.

The down side, especially compared to Fly, is that you've got to watch where you're bouncing.  If you touch down within aggro range of a pack of purple nasties, you could get one-shotted before you can bounce away (this happened to me in Faultline once, oops).
Kairos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 04:06:48 AM

I've had some races... Teleport is a little faster than Super Jump, and Super Jump is a lot faster than Fly. (I beat the teleporter, but only because he ran out of endurance a couple jumps ahead of the finish line.) Super Jump, however, takes practically no endurance, so it is better suited to general travel than Teleport. I've seen Super Speed in action (no tests though), and I'm inclined to think that it's the fastest travel power. However, it's horizontal only, which severely limits it.
boley

Email
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 05:25:32 AM

Hover also has the advantage of allowing one to fight from an elevated area.  Many of the lowbie crittters I am fighting seem to hit easier with ranged attacks than melee, so it helps.
DarkDryad
Terracotta Army

da hizzookup

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 05:33:15 AM

You do realize you can take both right?

BWL is funny tho.  It's like watching a Special Needs school take a field trip to a minefield.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 07:38:25 AM

Speeds from greatest to least are:
Teleport
Super Speed
Super Jump
Fly

Teleport chews up a lot of endurance, but if you know what you are doing it is FAST.  Superspeed is blazing, but you have to know a zone well and it will be the slowest of all powers at getting UP anywhere.  Super Jump is low end, pretty fast, some risk of oneshot on landing, and may have some problems getting to really high places that fly and tele would find easy.  Fly is the most convenient of them all, but also the slowest.  Still pretty fast though if you stick a few DOs or a SO in it.
Bipolar

Email
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 07:42:10 AM

Quote from: DarkDryad
You do realize you can take both right?

Yeah, I know, just don't want to use up the slots for both.
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 11:07:50 AM

When I first got Superjump, I went hopping around in Boomtown so I could see the sights a little better. What I did was start tapping the Tab key when I got near the top of my jump arc. This would highlight any enemies that were in front of me. If I saw some near where I was going to land, I would adjust my course to land in a safe area and then hop away.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 11:24:29 AM

Well, all blasters should have fly imo, and a defender is in part a blaster. But with empathy as a primary, teleport might be better to make a quick jump into the thick of things, rip off an area heal, and get back out. I dunno, I only have my flying blaster to go on.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 01:04:07 PM

Superjump is the bizzomb. For sheer speed without using end, it beats them all I think. I can cover the long side of a zone in maybe 8-10 jumps. Yes, it's possible to drop into a one-shot kill zone, but remembering that you can control the angle of your decent and can keep the space bar pressed to immediately take off again mitigates this mostly. In zones like Faultline, I cannot imagine trying to travel without fly, super jump or teleport.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Travel Powers  
Jump to: