Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:14:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Yay! Another Pirate Game! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yay! Another Pirate Game!  (Read 6526 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

on: January 03, 2006, 05:26:59 PM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 05:39:07 PM

I wonder of they'll have SOE administrate this one too.

Aieee.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 05:45:57 PM

Didn't we know about this one already? Not saying it's not interesting, given that Pirates are an untapped Theme and the next two ...Caribbean movies coming out. I just thought this was announced months ago.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 06:24:15 PM

What'd I miss?  Pirates of the Burning Sea are in limited beta already.

Edit: ah.... poor Flying Lab.  But since it's Toontown maybe it's only for tots.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 06:26:20 PM by Soln »
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 07:40:56 PM

Yea, PoTC is going to be a piece of shit in terms of modern virtual worlds. It'll be a dandy fine game no one here has any reason to play.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 08:15:27 PM

Yea, PoTC is going to be a piece of shit in terms of modern virtual worlds. It'll be a dandy fine game no one here has any reason to play.

Remind me again why I'm supposed to want a virtual world?
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 08:16:50 PM

I can't. Not with the current crop of games.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 06:30:36 AM

Yay!  Another Pirate Game!
You mean "Yarr!  Another Pirate Game!"

/pirategrammarnazi
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 07:32:20 AM

The reason we wouldn't be playing PoTC is because the game isn't targeting our demographic. Whether it's a Gametic MMO or a Virtual Lifestyle one is irrelevant. The game is for a different player. The benefits are two-fold:

• Simply adds yet more new players to the genre. Some of them (even if it's an insignificant amount) will do what we all did: start with one and become curious enough to expand outward.
  • Broadens the demographic of the genre to different people and younger ages. Someone will eventually get Licensed MMOGs right, and with the number coming down in 2006 and 2007, I'd say at least one will. Whether it's PoTC doesn't matter to me. It's more a fact that the concept of paying a fee to play a game on a dedicated connection may actually be getting to a point where the technology and cost are an assumption. That's the proper time to do Licensed content. It's not the right time when you're still trying to get technology and processes to work at all. People who come to PoTC don't want broken Bazaar terminals or doors that open to a zillion empty rooms as a selling point.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 08:50:13 AM

That press release made me believe there might actually be PVP between Pirate crews, which could rock. Otherwise, meh.

EDIT: Also, it should probably be overcrowded with pre-pubescent Jack Sparrow wannabes, heretofore to be known as Sparrowtards.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 09:02:10 AM

Crotchsparrows aside, I'm not sure I understand.  Why is PoTB generically less appealing than say AoC or DDO or Korean-GameX?  Because it's historical?  It will have faction based PvP.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 10:11:46 AM

Ahh I love the Disney hypocracy. Vilify copyright "pirates" and glorify real pirates.

And you can't play a pirate game without listing to The Worst Pirate Song by Ceann.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 01:27:22 PM

I thought this would be a nice game for you lot with kids but the thread has taken and evil, ugly turn.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 02:28:19 PM

I thought this would be a nice game for you lot with kids but the thread has taken and evil, ugly turn.

And this surprises you why? Cry more, n00b  :-D

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 02:45:38 PM

Crotchsparrows aside, I'm not sure I understand.  Why is PoTB generically less appealing than say AoC or DDO or Korean-GameX?  Because it's historical?  It will have faction based PvP.
You're confusing Pirates of the Burning Sea by Flying Lab Software, with Pirates of the Carraibean by, uhm... Disney.
First one is going to be nice, well thought mmorpg(if they make it, ofc*), the latter one seems to be buffed up Toontown with pirate theme.

*imo, PotBS have biggest chance of actually getting released and not ending as a pile of steaming Mourning-like, SWG:NGE flavoured shit.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 03:13:17 PM

the latter one seems to be buffed up Toontown with pirate theme

I hope it is so my son can enjoy the game.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 07:25:43 PM

The reason we wouldn't be playing PoTC is because the game isn't targeting our demographic. Whether it's a Gametic MMO or a Virtual Lifestyle one is irrelevant. The game is for a different player.

Every MMO out there has been targeting a different demographic than mine.  They've been targeting people with too much free time and not enough sense.  At this point I don't care if PoTC is aimed at kids, it could still end up as a better game than 90% of what's on the market.  Aimed at kids doesn't always equate to "dumbed down piece of shit".  I'll give PoTC a chance before I ever load EQII up on my computer.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 06:31:08 AM

Velorath brings up a good point. See: WoW (sans "endgame").
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 07:37:20 AM

I want a western environment darn it!

Ok, pirates are cool too.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 10:08:17 AM

I want a western environment darn it!

Ok, pirates are cool too.

Isn't that 'The Sims: Online'?

I think it'd be awesome to have a cowboys and indians MMO. Or a Chicago mobster MMO. Or a Civil War MMO. Or one based on the Canadian/American War of 2008.

- Viin
WayAbvPar

Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 11:16:48 AM

Or one based on the Canadian/American War of 2008.

Is that when Asses of Fire is scheduled for release?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 12:09:10 PM

Ahh I love the Disney hypocracy. Vilify copyright "pirates" and glorify real pirates.

And you can't play a pirate game without listing to The Worst Pirate Song by Ceann.

So where's you sassy parrot, and by sassy parrot I don't mean your bitchy friend.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 02:57:00 PM

Or one based on the Canadian/American War of 2008.

The first MMO with an endgame that only takes 5 minutes to achieve.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 05:27:00 PM

See? That'd be perfect! 5 mins to learn the game, and then BAM! You are in the end-game. People would flock to it!

Just imagine, being able to detain and torture anyone who speaks French after it's banned!

- Viin
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 04:12:13 PM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Yay! Another Pirate Game!  
Jump to: