Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:10:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Anyone still playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone still playing?  (Read 21887 times)
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #35 on: January 16, 2006, 05:57:29 PM

If you examine the potion, it pops up the little informative window that says what the item does (namely, bestow Shield of Faith)  When you mouse over the phrase "Shield of Faith" in that window, it tells you that this spell grants a bonus to your Armor Class. 

It might be nice if it gave a bit more info, but knowing that it boosts my AC in some way is good enough to know what it's useful for and what it isn't.  And if you want to know the exact bonus you can always quaff one and then check your character sheet.  (One of my favorite things in PnP was always experimenting with items to figure out what they did, rather than using Identify spells - YMMV.)

This was in as of the Fileplanet stress test weekend thing that happened a few weeks ago.  I noticed them too.  It's admittedly possible to turn some of that off, and maybe some people did.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 16, 2006, 09:01:26 PM

If you examine the potion, it pops up the little informative window that says what the item does (namely, bestow Shield of Faith)  When you mouse over the phrase "Shield of Faith" in that window, it tells you that this spell grants a bonus to your Armor Class. 

Hmm that's really odd. Does the tooltip take like 10 seconds to show up or something weird like that? I know I tried mousing over everything numerous times. Maybe it's some wacky bug or something.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37 on: January 17, 2006, 01:59:08 AM

By default it's something standard like 1 second, but like Alk said, it's configurable.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: January 17, 2006, 08:33:43 AM

Hmm that's really odd. Does the tooltip take like 10 seconds to show up or something weird like that? I know I tried mousing over everything numerous times. Maybe it's some wacky bug or something.

The tooltip comes up, but the stuff with any actual information requires that you "examine" the item by selecting it, then clicking a button on the way too big targeting circle (the little magnifying glass icon). I really hated that targeting circle.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #39 on: January 17, 2006, 08:56:01 AM

The tooltip comes up, but the stuff with any actual information requires that you "examine" the item by selecting it, then clicking a button on the way too big targeting circle (the little magnifying glass icon). I really hated that targeting circle.

You can also select it and push Z.  (I never touch the targetting circle because the butons on it are confusing.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #40 on: January 17, 2006, 10:28:19 AM

Which is the entire crux of the problem. DDO's interface is in bad need of some love.  It's non-intuitive, clunky and as uninsipiring as the artwork for the game.  I see what they're trying to do with it, but they need to refine it some more.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #41 on: January 17, 2006, 10:56:02 AM

Polished UI is nice, but it's not what I'd call the crux of anything.  If I have to choose between a slightly clunky UI and camping troll penis spawns, I'll take my clunky UI.   wink

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #42 on: January 17, 2006, 11:53:44 AM

You're just prejudiced against troll penises.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #43 on: January 17, 2006, 12:06:16 PM

It's true.  I'm a trollophobe.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 17, 2006, 12:34:22 PM

The targeting circle is pretty crappy. It's big and half of the stuff that appears in it is dopey or incomprehensible. Like if you click on some armor it shows up in the targeting circle zoomed in on an arm or something.

The UI isn't great but I don't really care too much. The game has far more serious problems.

Some of you have probably seen that thing about crates in games, and how the presence of crates indicates lack of creativity. It's funny because every dungeon has hundred of crates stacked around for no reason.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #45 on: January 17, 2006, 03:32:44 PM

Polished UI is nice, but it's not what I'd call the crux of anything.  If I have to choose between a slightly clunky UI and camping troll penis spawns, I'll take my clunky UI.   wink

It was the crux of the issue at hand. That being: Margalis didn't know what the hell was going on.

The game itself has more problems than just UI, yes, but at least is somewhat fun if you don't mind the little things.  To me, it's too many little things to justify a purchase or a sub, but i can see the appeal.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #46 on: January 18, 2006, 06:53:47 AM

The UI has a thread on the offical DDO forums lots of long detailed replies from fans who obviously want DDO to succeed and have an improved UI.  Personally I'd be tempted to explain it in graphical form using a DDO UI screenshot with an arrow pointing to a WoW UI screenshot.

It really confuses the hell out of me why you let potential customers stress test DDO before the UI is polished, it certainly put me off. 

I'm also baffled as to why they designed the game so players use the Inn's as a central location for healing when characters currently (unless they fixed it) cannot sit down in a chair.  I could sit on a chair at an Inn in UO (released what 54 years ago?).  My character always sat down before logging out in WoW.  Why is sitting on a chair an alien concept in DDO?

The above two points are extremely minor compared to the overall design but my first 30 minutes playtime were filled with "wtf are they thinking?" moments, it's distracting and I certainly wasn't impressed.  If I bother to try the European open Beta it will only be after reading about major UI improvements.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Anyone still playing?  
Jump to: