Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Anyone still playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone still playing?  (Read 21610 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

on: January 03, 2006, 10:44:55 AM

Hey kids.  I finally accepted my beta invite (recieved on Nov 3rd :) ) and I'm going to try and get in game tonight.  If anyone one is still playing and wants to team with a newb let me know (though I see no new posts have been made in 6 days...).

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 10:54:54 AM

Been awhile for me- I got busy with holiday crap, then fell in love with Civ IV again (I may be the worst Civ IV player of all time, but I still love it). It is hard to pick up and play for short periods, since most things require grouping of some kind. Maybe we can get everyone to agree to a night to get together and get some parties assembled.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 10:57:02 AM

Maybe we can get everyone to agree to a night to get together and get some parties assembled.

Now setting the over/under line at 3 weeks. Place your bets!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 11:27:28 AM

I've been logging in every other night or so.  Character names (we haven't had a character names thread in a while):

Deb  (ftr 4)
Pip  (rgr 3)
Stoney  (bbn 3)
Jenkin  (wiz 2)
Samwise  (brd 1)

All on the Orien server; I haven't felt motivated to roll up a new level 1 on Kundarak yet.

You know, I didn't realize until looking at that list that my three most played characters are warrior variants.  That's extremely atypical for me.  Must be a symptom of combat in this game not completely sucking balls.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Xilren's Twin

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 12:55:28 PM

Like some, the holiday season actually gave me less time for gaming than normal.  Thank goodness THAT's over...

I'm still playing, but finding it harder to get a group of 6+ folk to do anything other than elite runs.  I have rolled up a few lvl 1's but hadnt really played them much.  I think they changed the loot tables in the early quests abit as I have a lvl 1 warforged wizard who got a +1 staff, and robe of Web, and a Robe of Epeditious Retreat withing the first 4 newbie quests.  Course, he can't use robes so I promptly started and elf wizard but have yet to switch stuff to him.

I'll try to hop on tonight 10pm EST ish.

Xilren, lv 6 CL
Nerlix, lv 1 WZ
Portable Battery, lvl 1 WZ 

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 01:25:32 PM

Been playing regularly. Tonight is my Tuesday night home-group, though.

I've ben working up a new cleric you can add to your list though:

Ennis

I normally don't play clerics but am loving them in DDO.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 02:44:24 PM

I'm attempting to play nightly. For at least an hour.

Anyway, if you see me I'll be on as Mockery (3) Cleric.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 03:24:52 PM

I play, although I haven't done much since Christmas.  I started a character on the new server but can't remember what I named her.  Oh well... I don't fancy re-doing all those quests so soon, anyway.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 05:20:52 PM

"Currently updating 1016/1,074,347,387"

That thing better be broken because the number on the left is updating about once per second and I don't have 34 years to wait for this thing to load.

edit:  I'm not kidding about the 34 years.  Thats what the math comes to.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 05:24:02 PM

Just walk away for an hour or so.  I think it fixes itself when you're not looking.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 06:24:09 PM

OK done updating.  Gonna make a char on the server named Orien.  Named Murgos if I can.

Cya

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 06:06:39 AM

Rolled up a Ranger.  I can tell already it's a gimp.  Whats the point of a light fighter with mediocre scouting abilities in a game where you can pick up a rogue and a fighter for your party at any given moment?

Going to reroll something different tonight.

Also right mouse button = mouselook and left = fire doofuses.  I kept firing arrows every time I went to look around.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 04:16:22 PM

Rolled up a Ranger.  I can tell already it's a gimp.  Whats the point of a light fighter with mediocre scouting abilities in a game where you can pick up a rogue and a fighter for your party at any given moment?

Going to reroll something different tonight.

Also right mouse button = mouselook and left = fire doofuses.  I kept firing arrows every time I went to look around.

The whole point of rangers is to get that free dual-wield feat and some tracking/ sneaking.  Then at level 2 you multiclass right out of it because in a computer RPG they're far inferior to fighters/ rogues, as you mentioned.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 04:49:17 PM

Ranger is the ultimate ninja assasin class IMO.  As stealthy as a rogue but with the HP and BAB of a fighter.  And free feats to boot. 

Definitely the best solo class of all the ones I've tried, since the average quest is at least 50% stealthable and you should be durable enough to handle whatever combat remains (particularly if you're good with a bow and arrow and can use the environment to your advantage).  The main disadvantage compared to rogues is that you can't handle traps.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 05:15:48 PM

I played a little bit with the 10 beta pass from the pre-order, but didn't want to burn out on the beta.  Just played enough to get a feel for the game and the classes.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 12:15:07 PM

Didn't like it.  Won't be buying. Carry on.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 12:54:18 PM

I was playing until my second hard drive crashed and burned and with it the beta test games that were installed on it. I'll most likely reinstall later this week, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I was having fun with the combat gameplay, but on the other hand, I'm just not enough of a D&D geek to get into the numbers game of it.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 03:56:10 PM

On one hand, I was having fun with the combat gameplay, but on the other hand, I'm just not enough of a D&D geek to get into the numbers game of it.

You know, maybe that explains why I like DDO more than most.  I like circle-strafing monkey on meth gameplay, and I like playing with D&D character stats.  That's pretty rare among the MMOG crowd, but I think it might be required to appreciate this game.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 04:00:50 PM

I'll probably do a pretty decent writeup at some point. My basic thoughts are that in 6 months this could be a pretty good game. Right now, not so much.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 08:01:36 AM

I don't think I ever have seen such non-existant board activity with the dissolution of an NDA.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 10:22:38 AM

The game is not ready for February.

Last time I played there was still a bug where enemies that got right next to you would just stop attacking entirely. One of the newbie missions, the "Miller's Quest" or whatever it is called, is really really difficult for some reason. My experience with it went like this:

Do it once, die almost instantly to first enemy.
Do it again, die almost instantly to first enemy.
Do it a third time, first enemy stops attack and I kill it, then two or three other enemies I meet later ALSO just stop attacking and I kill them too.

As such the difficulty is completely borked. I finished numerous missions I should have died on thanks to that bug. That's just one example but it's a pretty glaring one - how do you balance mission difficulty when you have a bug that makes enemies just stop attacking entirely?

I would figure that fixing a bug like that would be a top priority, as in fix it 24 hours after you find out about it.

---

In the end I get the AC2 feeling from it. Critical bugs, problems with the chat server, uninspired graphics, a lifeless game world. Despite all that it was enjoyable in some ways. I think it could be good given 6 months of dev work

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Swede
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 03:43:48 AM

I find it really strange that the percieved combat difficulty varies so much from person to person. Ive read reviews saying that most classes can solo pretty easy up to at least lvl 2 - while others say they didnt get past the first mob in the first instance.....

Lax
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 04:43:08 AM

So far the combat, as a rogue, doesn't feel nearly as tight and well put together as I would like. More to follow.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 05:14:10 AM

I find it really strange that the percieved combat difficulty varies so much from person to person. Ive read reviews saying that most classes can solo pretty easy up to at least lvl 2 - while others say they didnt get past the first mob in the first instance.....

From my limited stress-test experience, your success or failure is very much about understanding 1) Rolling a good D&D Character and 2) Not relying on the usual MMO Autoattack-and-hit-special-keys mindset.   The second stress test I got my ass handed to me by the first kobold because I forgot #2, much to my own embarassment when I remembered "oh right, click to attack."

Considering most gamers just give cursory attention to tutorials, the folks who couldn't get anywhere probably failed because of #2 as well. (Or, they did something very silly, like made a sorcerer with high INT rather than Charisma, or ignored STR in favor of maxing DEX on a Ranger. Or just plain maxed-out one stat rather than rounding them with the understanding you get stat+ at certain level-ups)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #24 on: January 16, 2006, 07:23:49 AM

That is the second or third time that I have read "All the way to level two" and it is really turning me sour on this game.  Is getting your first level an epic ordeal or something?  I know there are only ten levels but still.

It's also interesting how often the phrase "well that's how it is in the pen and paper game" has come up, I feel like that's going to be the hardcore D&D fan's standard defense when problems come up.  If the game winds up being crap the fact that it is an accurate translation of the paper game isn't going to redeem it for the mainstream.

I'll give it a try anyways of course.
Swede
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 08:22:50 AM

I think the lvl 2 thing is more related to that the most ppl who so far have any opinion is the stresstesters, which mostly managed to get about lvl 2..
 I soloed to 3 with a bard without that much difficulty, but I was somewhat picky with which quest I did, and not at all picky about jumpin a crate or two and sniping a few metal dogs with my xbow... Each lever is divided into 4 smaller gaps, with some minor rewards for reaching each one, and each gap in the first lvl took about 6-7 "long" quests to do iirc...

Lax
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #26 on: January 16, 2006, 08:27:54 AM

Unfortunately, the way my toon is set up, he gets much better over time, especially after getting things like weapon finesse.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #27 on: January 16, 2006, 08:43:03 AM

The reactions are so different on combat mainly for two reasons:

1) There is a VAST difference in effectiveness between some classes - the most extreme is probably my rogue to barbarian example. One can solo easily, the other cannot unless you are a D&D system wonk AND really good with the combat system.
2) The combat system DOES take a lot of player skill, more than any other MMOG ever. This is both a good and a bad thing. It's a good thing because it's what we (me) have all asked for. It's a bad thing because the gameplay is not as tight as I would like it (like Strazos mentioned) and because the average MMOG player cannot find their genitalia with a road map and a compass. You're going to hear a lot of hate it/love it responses and very little in between.

I never made level 2 in this game. Part of it was the solo thing, part of it was the networking issues I had early on in the beta/alpha.

I agree with Margalis that is NOT ready for February and will not be.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 16, 2006, 09:14:43 AM

I agree with Margalis that is NOT ready for February and will not be.

But you well know that's not the important question.  It's not 'is it ready to ship' but 'will they ship it anyway'.

That's the one I want answered.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #29 on: January 16, 2006, 10:26:10 AM

I suspect they'll ship it anyway.  It's at least 10x better than SWG was at release, though.  As in, it's actually playable in its current state, none of the classes are completely broken, and it has content.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 16, 2006, 11:56:48 AM

One of the big problems is there is just not enough in-game information. There are a lot of numbers and effects and traits and feats and whatever and if you aren't a D&D expert you have no idea what they hell they are.

Is a sword of +2 +2 to damage or to hit? Or both?

What does "faith shield" do?

What is "max dex bonus"?

Shields have like three different stats on them, and I don't know what ANY of them mean.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #31 on: January 16, 2006, 11:59:33 AM

This game is for D&D nuts, not regular MMOG folks. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is insane and/or a D&D nut.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 12:02:18 PM

They have tooltips.  Half the stats in the game confused the hell out of me at first look because they aren't in PnP (like all the weird shield stuff that they added in to support the realtime blocking stuff).  But then you hold your mouse over them for a few seconds and it pops up a little thing telling you what it means.

Your character sheet and inventory also have nice little explanations about where various numbers come from - for example, if you mouse over your AC, it breaks down which of it is from armor, which is from special bonuses (like Dodge or size or what have you), which of it is from your Dex, and which is from your shield.  In your inventory, the bottom couple of lines tell you what your to-hit and damage rolls are for your currently equipped weapon, so you can swap weapons around and immediately see the effects of stuff like Weapon Focus or nonproficiency or what have you when summed with the bonuses for that particular weapon.

That's as good a way to do it as any IMO (though in some cases the explanatory text could stand to be beefed up just a little).  If you bury it in help files or other "documentation" it will never get read.  Someone who doesn't bother to read a tooltip sure as hell isn't going to sit down and read a manual.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 16, 2006, 01:43:41 PM

I stopped before the latest updates but I never say any of these handy tooltips. I saw tooltips, but only very vague ones, not any information on subproperties of items or anything like that. Most of the potions had no tooltips at all, I had about 10 different types of potions like shield of faith where they either didn't havea tooltip or the tip said:

"bestows shield of faith"

That's great. How long does it last? And WTF is shield of faith?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #34 on: January 16, 2006, 01:53:26 PM

If you examine the potion, it pops up the little informative window that says what the item does (namely, bestow Shield of Faith)  When you mouse over the phrase "Shield of Faith" in that window, it tells you that this spell grants a bonus to your Armor Class. 

It might be nice if it gave a bit more info, but knowing that it boosts my AC in some way is good enough to know what it's useful for and what it isn't.  And if you want to know the exact bonus you can always quaff one and then check your character sheet.  (One of my favorite things in PnP was always experimenting with items to figure out what they did, rather than using Identify spells - YMMV.)

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Anyone still playing?  
Jump to: