Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I've lost my will to live already 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I've lost my will to live already  (Read 4574 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: January 03, 2006, 12:14:06 AM

I'm pretty close to unsubbing already...I think the problem is really my overall system performance. Zoning takes FOREVER on my machine and my framerate often slows to a crawl. I only have 512 megs of ram and I suspect that is the problem, but I don't feel like buying more RAM for my comp right now as I rarely play computer games.

The "Welcome to Queynos" quest where you have to keep going in and out of your apartment really killed me. That and the fact that whenever I run into some vaguely new place (by vaguely new I mean 10 yards away from where I was last standing) my machine will get 2 fps for a few seconds and sometimes just pause entirely. Some of these pauses happen for basically no reason, like I mouse over some item in my inventory and my computer freezes for 5 seconds. Sitting around waiting to zone or for my computer to respond is not my idea of fun.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 12:23:34 AM

Yea, that's pretty bad performance. Obviously you need more RAM. evil
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 12:41:28 AM

More RAM is one solution.

I would suggest less Everquest  rolleyes

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 12:44:51 AM

More RAM is one solution.

I would suggest less Everquest  rolleyes

And more Eve? HAR.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 04:16:39 AM

More ram or less Everquest... we should vote, no?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 05:45:23 AM

Yeah, I had this same problem in EQ.  512 just doesn't get it done in that game.  1 GB works fine but with RAM prices what they are you might as well get a matched 2 GB set and not have to worry about it for a couple of years.

Load times drop by an order of magnitude with enough RAM.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 05:51:41 AM

Yeah, I had this same problem in EQ.  512 just doesn't get it done in that game.  1 GB works fine but with RAM prices what they are you might as well get a matched 2 GB set and not have to worry about it for a couple of years.

Load times drop by an order of magnitude with enough RAM.

I had this same problem, and even just a bump up to 768 helped a good bit.  When I went back during a free 'come back' period recently, with 1GB, it ran slightly nicer... tho the large increase in CPU performance didn't help as much as you'd think.  Something about SOE's homebrew'd engines, they have built-in 'Always Runs Crappy' code.  Only thing that seems to do much good is more RAM.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 05:54:56 AM

I've run at 1gig since beta. Performance in the game has increased 100 fold since then. The last of my problems disappeared with whatever housekeeping they did in the last patch. It's now nearly flawless short of some horizontal tearing, but I'm going to crop that up to my graphics card pumping everything out at 1680x1050 to a 21" LCD (Yes, I'm running EQ2 at 1680x1050 with nearly everything on high from a Radeon 9600 with 1gig of ram and a non-hyperthreading 2.8ghz P4).
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 05:57:11 AM

I think the 'always runs crappy' module has been applied to pretty much everything that isn't an FPS or console port, not just SOE products.

But as mentioned above, RAM = mana from heaven.

Anything you intend to play games on should have 2Gb in it at least. Best upgrade I ever made.

Even if you do go the 'less Everquest' route, get more RAM as well. Everyone underspecs their PC on RAM.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 08:02:14 AM

I agree... 2Gb is chocolate cream pie.  I also bought a GF7800 GT and can crank every up super high except complex shading with seems to be broken in EQ.  Using the ThorUI mod, I have a little box that has several different settings, plus night lighting, giving me quality options at a click. 

I have a HUGE penis.

schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 08:03:24 AM

I agree... 2Gb is chocolate cream pie.  I also bought a GF7800 GT and can crank every up super high except complex shading with seems to be broken in EQ.  Using the ThorUI mod, I have a little box that has several different settings, plus night lighting, giving me quality options at a click. 

I have a HUGE penis.

I've never seen a girl compare dicks with nobody.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 08:14:43 AM

You're just jealous.

schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 08:38:34 AM

You're just jealous.

Of girldick? Nah. I am jealous of moobs though.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 09:29:39 AM

It makes me uncomfortable when you talk about my penis.  Please stop.

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 09:51:56 AM

Penis rhymes with Dolores?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 09:56:57 AM

Probably makes Righ a little woozy too.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 10:03:19 AM

I bet Chyna has you beat.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 10:08:45 AM

I bet Chyna has you beat.

China has a steroid growth. We should dub that something different, something new. The Fenis.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 10:48:03 AM

I had issues when I was running 512 as well; primarily my load times between zones was the suck.  I bumped up to 1 gig, and it was like a whole new game.  I have no issues whatsoever now!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 12:19:54 PM

Probably makes Righ a little woozy too.

I now realize this would have been much funnier if I had said, "It probably gives Righ the willies too."

Ah, well.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 01:22:51 PM

I have no issues whatsoever now!

Were that only true of life in general, we could bottle it and get rich.

Like your satyr/faun-guy avatar, Cheddar.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006, 01:57:35 PM

Who would have thunk.

I wana say Penis also.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: I've lost my will to live already  
Jump to: