Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:42:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: 2005: Instant Nostalgia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2005: Instant Nostalgia  (Read 13012 times)
schild
Administrator

on: January 01, 2006, 03:24:47 AM

One part truth, four parts narcissism.

Trust us, we're professionals. Or something.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 03:39:34 AM

Things I forgot - before I get nailed to a cross:
Killer 7
Devil May Cry 3
Radiata Stories
SHADOW OF THE FUCKING COLOSSUS - THOUGH I will get to re-examine that since it's being remade for the ps3. We can rule this one a draw.
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Battlefield 2 (though, it's made by EA, so MEH MEH MEH)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 04:47:54 AM

No Animal Crossing?  Hello Kitty
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 07:51:55 AM

As far as games to look forward to this year I'm surprised you didn't list:

Dungeons & Dragons Online (PC)
Shadow Hearts: From the New World (PS2)
Bully (X-box, PS2)
Phantasy Star Universe (PS2)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 08:22:42 AM

I don't think there'll ever be a Rockstar game that schild looks forward to.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 09:50:55 AM

Battlefield 2 (though, it's made by EA, so MEH MEH MEH)

Seeing as how it won "Game of the Year" at a large gaming site, I can only conclude that EA's bribery money was well-spent this year.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 10:15:10 AM

I thought I'd hate it, but Lego Star Wars on the cube is Damn Fun and should be included in that list. Daughter bought it with her X-mas money and I haven't stopped playing it since yesterday night.  Oh right, it's a "kids game" though. Nevermind.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 10:39:29 AM

I would have to agree with Lego Star Wars as well. My son enjoys it very much and having two-player Co-Op is a nice bonus.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 01:49:10 PM

I'l throw Farenheit into the mix of forgoten titles, even though I've never played it, it seems to be a lot of peoples favorite.

In my opinion F.E.A.R gets the win. If my PS2 would be working and I had played some of the PS2 goodnes released 2005 I bet F.E.A.R wouldn't be no 1 for me. I'd rate Civ 4 as the most overrated game of 2005, which while being fun for a day didn't deserve the scores imo.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 01:51:57 PM

My #1 for 2005 was/is Guitar Hero. It's just too much fun.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 02:09:51 PM

You put Vanguard on the list....for shame.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 02:29:45 PM

Fahrenheit wasn't forgotten.

Animal Crossing isn't on the list because this isn't a list of portable games.

I can see a few people didn't read the whole thing. The number of good games that came out this year is astounding though.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 02:32:22 PM

Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC, though my money is on the Revolution)

It was recently confirmed AGAIN that it will be GC but it will play with extra shit on the Revolution.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 02:34:02 PM

It was recently confirmed AGAIN that it will be GC but it will play with extra shit on the Revolution.

So, it's a Revolution game now.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 02:34:39 PM

I can see a few people didn't read the whole thing.

People don't read. They like pictures. Especially me.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 02:34:58 PM

It'll be like Halo 2 on the 360.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 02:35:50 PM

No, everything in Halo 2 was available on the original Xbox. If you can't get the whole Twilight Princess Package on the Gamecube and have to play it on the Revolution, it's a Revolution game. I'm sorry, but crippleware is not a good way to market a game.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 03:40:08 PM

Fahrenheit wasn't forgotten.

Animal Crossing isn't on the list because this isn't a list of portable games.

I can see a few people didn't read the whole thing. The number of good games that came out this year is astounding though.

I skiped xbox because I don't own one  smiley
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 03:41:40 PM

That's a terrible reason to skip a system. In fact, looking at the systems you don't own should be a top priority so that you can see if you missed out on something spectacular.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #19 on: January 01, 2006, 03:48:17 PM

That's a terrible reason to skip a system. In fact, looking at the systems you don't own should be a top priority so that you can see if you missed out on something spectacular.

This is true.

I am excited about the PS3.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 03:50:31 PM

I don't have any plans on geting any more systems this generation for financial reasons.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: January 01, 2006, 03:52:57 PM

I don't have any plans on geting any more systems this generation for financial reasons.

Sell some blood. It doesn't even have to be yours.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 01, 2006, 05:34:52 PM

Shit, I can't even keep up with all the PC games out there.  Why expand the selection of games I'll never, ever finish?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 01, 2006, 07:37:03 PM

About building up one character in Tactics games - that is annoying, but as a player I just don't do that. Problem solved. I try to level my guys up evenly, just because it's more fun that way.

It would be nice though if the games forced you to do that a bit more. The big issue really is that one really great character is a lot better than a handful of ok characters. Same problem as MMORPGs really.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #24 on: January 01, 2006, 09:15:23 PM

No, everything in Halo 2 was available on the original Xbox. If you can't get the whole Twilight Princess Package on the Gamecube and have to play it on the Revolution, it's a Revolution game. I'm sorry, but crippleware is not a good way to market a game.

From what I've read so far the only thing that playing on the Revolution adds to the game is being able to use the Rev controller.  If that's all it is I'd hardly call it crippleware on the GC.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #25 on: January 01, 2006, 11:03:09 PM

Shit, I can't even keep up with all the PC games out there.  Why expand the selection of games I'll never, ever finish?

You can't keep track of five games?

Rimshot

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #26 on: January 02, 2006, 12:34:06 AM

About building up one character in Tactics games - that is annoying, but as a player I just don't do that. Problem solved. I try to level my guys up evenly, just because it's more fun that way.

It would be nice though if the games forced you to do that a bit more. The big issue really is that one really great character is a lot better than a handful of ok characters. Same problem as MMORPGs really.
FFT suffered from it horribly. Later in the game the army of generic soldiers you have lovingly built up and twinked is utterly useless compared to some of the special characters you get. One in particular is so overwhelmingly powerful and comes with such good equipment you can actually solo most of the game with JUST HIM.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 02, 2006, 07:46:54 AM

Well, he was called Thunder God Cid, and the FFT lore itself makes mention of him being essentially the Alpha badass in a realm of badassery.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 02, 2006, 02:41:53 PM

Yeah, I hate that when you have a homegrown army and then you get special characters that are strictly better.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #29 on: January 02, 2006, 06:38:34 PM

You know, there was nothing to stop you from just using the people you already had.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 02, 2006, 08:08:01 PM

That's what I do. The games aren't a competition with other people, I just play them to have the most fun.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 07:00:14 AM

Can we say: Spore?
Because unreleased hype games ALWAYS DELIVER. Sure, Wright's no Molyneux, but color me skeptical until I see a shipped product.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder to pick up the new Freedom Force. Forgot to grab that one and I loved the original.

Even though this site has a console bias (I'm just joking, relax), I'd put in GTA:SA. It was just a great game. And BF2, an incredible game only hurt by some of the jackassy players (and you did include an mmo, so that's obviously not a criteria).

I'm playing Gothic II Gold now (released in November, first time the expansion has been available in English and in the US). Great game, despite the quirks. Nice interactive rpg that picks up where Dick Garriott dropped the ball.

I'm also in Gulp's camp in that I can't find the time to play the games I have now. The heck with multiple systems.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 07:46:09 AM

Yes Gothic 2 is a great game. I think it is to its credit that it is still considered a great game and playworthy over 3 years after its initial release.

I'm so looking forward to Gothic 3, the amount of drool makes all those Console fanbois gasp in awe. Still have enough games to play from many years thanks to all those times exclusively playing MMORPGS but still buying other games I wanted to play sometime later. That sometime later being since I quit WoW for good (incidently I played both Gotihic and Gothic 2 in one fell swoop after quitting EQ for good).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 07:49:42 AM by Tebonas »
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 07:53:14 AM

I have to agree with Big Gulp and Sky, even with my son and I gaming, we can't seem to get many of them done.  We did finish Chronicle's of Narnia--but that was only because we had a couple of nights of non-stop gaming with it.  X-men Legends is the game we started and love it, it will probably take a while to finish.  Heck, were still beating stuff up in KOTOR I and II and Paper Mario 2.

We have stopped playing WoW and CoH, since I haven't fixed my computer (note to everyone, take Sky's advice and buy a backup power supply, the power outage ate my computer), and have been working too many damn shifts, were mostly playing the co-op x-box or playing outside (RC Airplanes are great!).
WayAbvPar

Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 09:46:40 AM

I think leaving off BF2 is a big oversight. If we don't praise EA on the rare occasion that they don't royally fuck something up, how can we expect them to get better? BF2 is fun as hell, and is still holding my interest 3-4 nights a week several months after release.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: 2005: Instant Nostalgia  
Jump to: