Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Groups 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Groups  (Read 5565 times)
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

on: December 21, 2005, 01:33:22 PM

Is anyone having as difficult a time as I am finding a group? Or is it just me?

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 02:28:24 PM

I haven't logged in for a while but I wasn't having much luck getting a group when I needed one.  I think it's mostly because I play in the day, early EST.  Also, from Thanksgiving until after New Year's, I tend to have a very misanthropic aura.   Some people might sense that.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 03:04:10 PM

As far as I can tell, most people who are looking for a group will check the "group ads" but won't turn on LFG or post their own ad, hence the apparent dearth of groups to join.  My strategy is usually to:

1) Check group ads.
2) Create my own group ad.
3) Do a player search for "LFG" and invite everyone who has what I'm looking for.
4) Start inviting random people on the street if all else fails.
5) Wait five minutes.

If after all that I still have nothing, I'll either log in an alt or go find something to solo.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 04:23:31 PM

I am exhausted just reading your list.  I don't know how Santa does it!  Things, especially in games, should just happen auto-magically.   Why doesn't it??!?!

Fenom
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 06:56:05 PM

Yes .. I have found that getting a group together can be somewhat of a chore but there are only about 450 people on and generally less 20 of those are over level 5

This is my Reality.  If you don't like it, let's go back to my place and do naughty things.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 08:27:48 PM

I now play in a regular group with 4 other RL friends who are in beta. We decided on Tuesday nights as our game night and so far have grouped together 3 times (once on a Saturday).

Playing ths way makes the game much more enjoyable and the content lasts longer. Best of all, we share loot with each other so that the person best able to use an object usually gets it. My cleric has gotten two wands of cure light wounds and a wand of bull's strength this way. This would rarely happen in a pick-up group.

We also limit ourselves to playing these characters only when we're on our Tuesday night group so that no one gets left behind or shoots ahead in levels.

If BC picked a regular game session date and time (some 4 hour period on a certain day each week), then I think you can stand a chance of getting the most from this game.  This is not really a solo game and it's not really a "play every day until you get sick of it" game. It really feels to methat it works best as a game where a dedicated group meets and plays regularly, even if it's just for 4 hours once/week.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 05:09:34 AM

I think so too, Sobelius.  I thought that's what GW would be, actually, but I ended up not liking the game much.  I think DDO suits a regularly scheduled game with friends once or twice a week much better.  All I'd need to do now, is find some regularly scheduled friends! 

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 06:40:57 AM

I'll be your friend, Sig.

Can we go back to guild wars? *cries*

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 06:49:24 AM

I don't know... they say you can never go back.   cry

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 06:49:50 AM

I'd love to get a regular gaming night going. However, I never have 4 hours to sit and play games in a contiguous block. Part of my anti-group mechanics vehemence and whatnot. And really, part of it is respect for other players, I don't want to be that guy who has to jet in the middle of the dungeon. I just don't have the time for it, let alone the metamechanics of forming groups on the fly all the time...
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 06:56:35 AM

We can go back. We have the power of ten grinches, plus two.

schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 06:57:44 AM

When I play DDO it makes me want to play Guild Wars. So, wait, hold on, I think I have constructive feedback for Calandryll. Woot.

1. Thanks to Turbine for not making me walk a very exact path like they do in Guild Wars.
2. DDO needs to be more like Guild Wars (HAR HAR). Seriously though, here's an easy list:

• Loot is important. Loot needs to be interesting. The loot in DDO is not interesting.
  • The game is browner than Everquest II. Seriously. Guild Wars has crazy color everywhere. DDO could use some of that.
  • At some point, very cleverly, the game needs to explain to me why I should give a fuck about the setting. There is no way that this particularly D&D setting has a large fanbase of gamers or else of all people, I would know by now. But I don't and it's Turbine's job to explain it to me. Voiceovers, somewhere, anywhere, a nice soothing voice telling me that Stormreach is a hive of scum and villainy, anything. Just make me interested.
  • High level loot. Right when I first came into the beta, I saw people selling what sounded like high level loot in the tavern. So my question is this, is there going to be stuff (content wise) at release that is not available at beta? In other words, why should someone with no prior interest in the campaign setting be willing to pay for more than the preorder?

Wow, this was not the thread to do that in. Apologies or sommat.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 08:33:51 AM

We can go back. We have the power of ten grinches, plus two.

Aha!  It's obviously YOUR day to have The Brain! 

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 08:54:27 AM

At some point, very cleverly, the game needs to explain to me why I should give a fuck about the setting. There is no way that this particularly D&D setting has a large fanbase of gamers or else of all people, I would know by now. But I don't and it's Turbine's job to explain it to me. Voiceovers, somewhere, anywhere, a nice soothing voice telling me that Stormreach is a hive of scum and villainy, anything. Just make me interested.
Hell, man, I don't even like Forgotten Realms. I thought we were going to get back to Greyhawk with 3rd ed. Greyhawk will always be the official campaign setting in my book. Someone here (iirc) made a great post about the magic levels of the various campaign settings, and I tend to like low magic as it makes the magic stuff more special. Mmo players love high magic for phat lewtz. So...no surprise they went with Eberron, really.

No camping Iuz for phat lewtz I guess.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Groups  
Jump to: