Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:53:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: PvP? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PvP?  (Read 6378 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

on: December 21, 2005, 12:06:38 PM

I've been rummaging through the other EQ2 threads because I heard rumors that 2 new pvp servers were opening.  Can someone help me with a link or fill me in on some info?  I've cancelled DAoC and am bored to tears with CoV.  I need a new drug.

Thanks.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 12:11:48 PM

It is mentioned in the latest Producer's Letter. I would link to it but the EQ2 site is slow as hell.

I have never played WoW.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 01:11:34 PM

This is it, I think.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 03:42:19 PM

You're the best Signe, thank you.

Now I just need to find out when they plan to open them. Then I can dust off my old account and have a bit of fun.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 01:13:21 AM

Then I can dust off my old account and have a bit of fun.
Fun ?

Isn't this Everquest you are talking about ?
Rimshot

Seriously though, tell us (me!) how it plays (PvP that is), I am curious, but not willing to bite the bullet/fork over the cash.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 02:01:47 AM

Hehe good point.  Distractions are good... and for $15, even if I only play one night it's cheap entertainment.

I'll keep you guys posted.  Just remember that I've been playing DAoC.  Anything I say is suspect.

-  Mark Twain
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 02:46:23 AM

Anything I say is suspect.

I'll take your advice with a grain of salt

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 06:23:44 AM

Rumor has it that PvP servers will be coming with the next expansion/adventure pack. Rumor #2 has the expansion/adventure pack being release some time in february.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 06:56:59 AM

You can switch servers for a price in this game, no?  I wonder if they'll let you go from a regular server to a PvP server.

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 07:02:22 AM

Mark my words:

I would start playing if that were true.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 07:07:31 AM

I would never for a second consider PvP in a game like EQ with a level disparity that equates to a large power differential and loot whores with uber gear that also contributes to a large power differential. That's just stupid, unless you're the uber guy, of course.

Planetside got it right. Advancement should mean variety, not power. PvP requires an even playing field to be fun for all, unless your idea of fun is beating up on weaklings.

Funny how everyone who asks my to duel them in SWG is ten levels (or more) higher than me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 07:08:43 AM

I would never for a second consider PvP in a game like EQ with a level disparity that equates to a large power differential and loot whores with uber gear that also contributes to a large power differential. That's just stupid, unless you're the uber guy, of course.

This obviously is true. But who knows, maybe they'll put some failsafes in place or something.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 08:54:19 AM

This obviously is true. But who knows, maybe they'll put some failsafes in place or something.

Well, they do have their equivilent of the reverse sidekick system...  Maybe they'll use that.

As for gear...  I dunno.  I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, and have no idea why people keep wanting to PvP in level and item-based games.  Makes no sense to me.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 08:54:45 AM

You can switch servers for a price in this game, no?  I wonder if they'll let you go from a regular server to a PvP server.

They offered free transfers to Exchange (SOEbay) Servers when those opened. The current plan is for 2 PvP servers, one of wich is Exchange enabled. I would imagine them allowing free transfers to populate at least one of them, my guess being the SOEbay server.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 08:57:41 AM

Oh... nevermind, then.  I had dreams of uberness.  Silly me.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 09:02:47 AM

They offered free transfers to Exchange (SOEbay) Servers when those opened. The current plan is for 2 PvP servers, one of wich is Exchange enabled. I would imagine them allowing free transfers to populate at least one of them, my guess being the SOEbay server.

Wait waitwaitwait.  They're going to allow people to buy equipment and characters and stuff with real money....  On a PvP server???
What the heck???

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 09:04:57 AM

Pay2Crush!
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 09:08:08 AM

Wait waitwaitwait.  They're going to allow people to buy equipment and characters and stuff with real money....  On a PvP server???
What the heck???

Alkiera

Hey I never said it was a good idea... I personally wouldn't want to play PvP in a PvE designed game anyway. Unless somehow it is done super-fantastically-well. Then maybe I'd consider.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 09:27:53 AM

I think you can have PvE in a PvP-oriented game, you just can't have it give rewards that affect the power curve. Like the aforementioned levelling in PS that allows more diversity, or vanity loot instead of stats loot. Everyone wants to look cool and different, that doesn't mean they should get a sword of wtfpwn and whatnot. Goddamned mmogtards. Get off my virtual front lawn ;)
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 11:06:00 AM

Ok. I'll be honest. I just wanted to play a game with Nebu. YOU PEOPLE ARE MEAN.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 11:35:29 AM

It sounds like they are going to crib some WoW back from Blizzard who cribbed a bunch of their stuff from EQ. The PvP rewards in particular suggested that. This makes me think of Ouroboros, that snake that eats its tail for some reason.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 12:12:16 PM

Ok. I'll be honest. I just wanted to play a game with Nebu. YOU PEOPLE ARE MEAN.
People don't want people like us on their site.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 03:42:09 PM

People don't want people like us on their site.
That's good, because I don't want to play games with old friends. There's a reason they're old friends and not current friends. The new ones are much better.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 03:45:31 PM

You know, I do fully expect this to suck.  MMOG's setup for PvE really never make a good transition to PvP.  It's just a distraction for now while I wait for either a new game or for the third telling of ATitD. 

Yes, I'm that desperate.

-  Mark Twain
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005, 12:31:18 AM

This truly is a horrible idea, I mean its a little late in the game to just patch pvp in asstards.  I'm about as pro-pvp as anyone but there is no way I'd try a game that just up and decided to add pvp one year (?) down the road.  Do I need to even bring up this is SOE we are talking about?  Yeah they've got a stellar track record of adding things to games.

Can we get an over/under on time before the first round of pvp induced nerfs that all the pve players start to cry about?

Because you know, devs just can't seem to fucking learn from any mistake anyone has ever made.  Like poli-fucking-ticians or something.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 23, 2005, 06:10:11 AM

I can see it now:  what do you get when you take EQ2 with its level based playing and combine that with a THIN player population?  PvP matches that end in seconds.

I tried the pvp in their desert expansion.  At level 29 I fought a guy 15 levels higher than myself.  I am not railing against level differences - but with so few people involved you cannot get remotely interesting matches.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #26 on: December 24, 2005, 12:11:52 PM

Can we get confirmation on a timeline?  I would set aside whatever hate I have for Sony if they added PvP.  And if others are playing. 

Shit, I would even re-activate my sub this weekend if enough people started up.  I am having the MMOG shakes currently, and WoW just ain't cutting it. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #27 on: December 25, 2005, 04:34:47 PM

I said stuff in another thread.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: PvP?  
Jump to: