Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:28:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: All things EVE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All things EVE  (Read 137444 times)
TheTijuanaBrass
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: January 23, 2006, 10:33:47 AM

Thinking about it, that size chart just underscores the one thing that irks me about ship design in this game:  All the damn windows.

Sure, it looks cool to be piloting this Battlecruiser or Cruiser with more than just the Firgate's pilot-window, but who the fuck are they for?  I don't have a crew (though that would be one really keen aspect to have had in-game. Marine fights/ boardings a-la MOO2) and I'm encased in this pod of life-sustaining goo.  So why all the lights?

From what I've gotten out of the abomination that is their official forums, there actually is a crew on most of the ships, taking care of most of the work, engineering, maintenance and all that. What you play as is the captain, the one making all decisions safely encapsulated in your pod. The ships are still manned, and some of them have quite large crews (I think someone mentioned a crew of ~4000 for a BS).

However, don't take what I say as gospel, as it's all second-hand (and quite possibly all wrong). Anyways, it would (somewhat) explain the windows.
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: January 23, 2006, 11:20:26 AM

Quite a few of the background stories make reference to the ships crews (thes one that  is actually just about a crewmember) the upshot is that the Jovian pod technology radically reduced the crew required and quite possibly removed them from the smaller ships
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: January 23, 2006, 11:30:07 AM

Here it is with labels. I'll try to dig up the original source link later -- there are other versions as well (e.g. black background).

That chart only goes uo to the dreadnaughts I believe, this is the one you want to look at smiley

http://www.eve-files.com/media/12/eve_chart-rmr.jpg
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: January 23, 2006, 12:17:07 PM

That chart only goes uo to the dreadnaughts I believe, this is the one you want to look at smiley

Is it me, or does it seem to anyone else that once they got up to the titans, they lost all sense of design? Except for the Amarr, they look like they were designed by the blind guys who tried to figure out what an elephant was - just a bunch of interesting shapes stuck together in random order, with no attempt to turn the ideas in to a cohesive whole.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
WayAbvPar

Reply #389 on: January 23, 2006, 12:23:33 PM

Yeah, the big ships are fugly.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #390 on: January 23, 2006, 01:34:58 PM

Most of the really large ships look kind of like semi-technical bits of driftwood, what with all the striations, edges and chips taken out of them. Or maybe stone tools.

But yeah, fugly.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #391 on: January 23, 2006, 06:20:19 PM

Some exceptionally wealthy individuals have their own Dreadnoughts (the fourth largest in each), and some are buying carriers (next one up).  Lots of wealthy corps and individuals have Freighters (next down from Dreads).  Only the richest corps will be able to field a Mothership (second largest) and it's taking whole large alliances months to build up the materials for a Titan.  First few to field them are going to *stomp* all over everything else, the Titan has a weapon that can kill an entire battleship fleet in one shot.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #392 on: January 23, 2006, 08:40:57 PM

Games like Eve need friendly fire turned on.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #393 on: January 23, 2006, 09:29:19 PM

There isn't any way to turn it off.  Use AE weapons like Smartbombs and it *will* damage all ships in the area of effect.  It's possible to damage your friends with the larger missles, as well.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #394 on: January 23, 2006, 10:18:05 PM

There isn't any way to turn it off.  Use AE weapons like Smartbombs and it *will* damage all ships in the area of effect.  It's possible to damage your friends with the larger missles, as well.

--Dave

Ok, that's good to hear. Your description of the Titan made it sound like friendly fire wasn't an issue. I guess people won't be firing the uber ion cannon blindly.
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: January 23, 2006, 10:34:36 PM

I keep imagining the ships from Independance Day.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #396 on: January 24, 2006, 02:24:28 AM

I'm thinking these ships are so big, that it'd be hard to have a cohesive design to them, kind of like the ships in Independence Day as gimpy said.

I think they look Kinda cool, though it's still beyond stupid that they'd be limited to what, 8 weapon slots?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: January 24, 2006, 03:08:59 AM

It bugs me that the [first published] picture of a titan here http://www.eve-online.com/background/potw/apr01-01.asp (which I believe is supposed to be the Caldari one) doesnt really look like the one that ended up in the game.
Cougar
Developers

Mythic Entertainment

Reply #398 on: January 24, 2006, 06:09:40 AM

There is also a huge skill (and fuel) requirement for the Titan's Ultimate Weapon Systems too. Titans are the ultimate alliance project, and quite possibly could be "shit a titan, okay lets go fight one system over and make it use more fuel in jumping there" - repeat a few times.

~C~
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: January 24, 2006, 06:53:56 AM

I think they look Kinda cool, though it's still beyond stupid that they'd be limited to what, 8 weapon slots?

Isnt that why they got the 'doomsday weapons'?

To be honest just giving them more (say 12?) large turrets/siege/cruise launchers would have been just as pants
Strazos

Reply #400 on: January 24, 2006, 07:01:25 AM

It should be able to blow up a planet.  evil

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #401 on: January 24, 2006, 07:03:00 AM

Why do you need to blow up a planet when you can fly straight through them?

"Me am play gods"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #402 on: January 24, 2006, 07:11:27 AM

There is also a huge skill (and fuel) requirement for the Titan's Ultimate Weapon Systems too. Titans are the ultimate alliance project, and quite possibly could be "shit a titan, okay lets go fight one system over and make it use more fuel in jumping there" - repeat a few times.

From what I recall reading, this won't work.  I believe Titans have the ability to fire through the warp gates they can open, so long as there's a properly-fitted ship targeting for them.  Sure, your alliance loses that ship, but if it's enough to wipe an entire enemy battlegroup, it's worth it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Strazos

Reply #403 on: January 24, 2006, 07:38:46 AM

So you need to just get a ship close enough....that's easy enough...right?  evil

Fear the Backstab!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #404 on: January 24, 2006, 07:47:51 AM

So if someone is blasted by a doomsday weapon, are they instantly podded?  Common sense says "yes" but gameplay sense says "no".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: January 24, 2006, 08:31:46 AM

It will be interesting the first time someone takes one to Jita and blows up 154 carebears.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #406 on: January 24, 2006, 08:41:30 AM

I've wondered if they considered that at all. Or, if they did, do they care?  Are the Concord ships in the area enough to take out a Titan? Probably not, since there's pirate discussions about tank setups to survive being CONCORDOKKENed in higher-sec space.

It's certainly one way for ambitious pirate corps to take care of the lag/ safezone miner "problem." Assuming, of course, that they have the facilities in-place to build one.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: January 24, 2006, 08:59:38 AM

Apparently dreadnaughts and above cant go above 0.4 space
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #408 on: January 24, 2006, 09:16:03 AM

Do you mean they can't fit through the warp gates?  Somewhat cheesy but I'm not ready to go toe-to-toe with a dread.  Or a cruiser.

Speaking of safezone miners, those bastids took all of my omber.  At least now I have Astrogeology lv2 and can fill my hold with rich plagioclase in two minutes, without a drone.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cougar
Developers

Mythic Entertainment

Reply #409 on: January 24, 2006, 10:25:40 AM

From what I recall reading, this won't work.  I believe Titans have the ability to fire through the warp gates they can open, so long as there's a properly-fitted ship targeting for them.  Sure, your alliance loses that ship, but if it's enough to wipe an entire enemy battlegroup, it's worth it.

From what my friends and I were talking about, yes Doomsday weapons can be fired through C-Fields, but only if they are in the same system. If you can sneak a Titan into an engagement, you deserve to wtfpwn because the opposing fleets scouting was horrible.

~C~
WayAbvPar

Reply #410 on: January 24, 2006, 10:37:08 AM

It will be interesting the first time someone takes one to Jita and blows up 154 carebears.

More like 400. It is getting crazy in the hubs. And I would pay good hard cash to see that happen like once a week. Either that, or make the security status revert to 0.0 whenever the population gets to 400 or more. That would make things interesting!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: January 24, 2006, 11:37:51 AM

Whilst trying to sift through the gibberish on the EVE boards, the board goons claim that while you can't bring such a ship into hi-sec space, there's nothing to prevent you *building* it there initially, creating an orgy of destruction in that system, and then warping it out (provided you can access lo-sec from your system).  That would be a heck of an inauguration party if it's true...

*edit*  Finished off my trial account today, I must say I enjoyed it even if I didn't get into anything higher than a cruiser.  I think I'll sub, but probably not for a couple weeks.  Frig V should be close by then, although I'm not sure if I want to delve into something like assault ships or just go on into battlecruisers.  Most likely whatever my budget of ~13mil ISK is closer to purchasing ship/skill-wise :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:44:24 PM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: January 25, 2006, 02:36:26 AM

Do you mean they can't fit through the warp gates?  Somewhat cheesy but I'm not ready to go toe-to-toe with a dread.  Or a cruiser.

Speaking of safezone miners, those bastids took all of my omber.  At least now I have Astrogeology lv2 and can fill my hold with rich plagioclase in two minutes, without a drone.

Dreads and higher dont use the gate at all (yes I think they are too big) I hear you need another player in the destination system (which has to be within your jump range, which can be several systems away) to create a C-field for the ship to jump to.

As was mentioned above apparently you can build your dread+ in a high sec system as long as you have enough range to jump to a 0.4 or lower and keep going, if not you will be stuck in that system
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #413 on: January 27, 2006, 08:14:04 AM

anyone know if there's  a complete and current Player Guide available to download?  Seems there's a Prima Guide but it's only 2003, and there's also just the online guide.  Personal preference, just want some paper to read (is there a single Player Guide pdf?).  Also, want to have something I can give a friend who has the same preference.  Thx.
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: January 27, 2006, 08:28:02 AM

anyone know if there's  a complete and current Player Guide available to download?  Seems there's a Prima Guide but it's only 2003, and there's also just the online guide.  Personal preference, just want some paper to read (is there a single Player Guide pdf?).  Also, want to have something I can give a friend who has the same preference.  Thx.

Dont touch the Prima guide with a barge pole.

I own it and it ceased being accurate the minute the game was released! (very obviously compiled during beta)
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: January 27, 2006, 08:53:00 AM

There is a pretty nice guide you can download here:

http://www.logophile.net/pil/

The Pilkington Guides to EVE v1.2b (current as of June 2005 so it's not too far back).

Not really a newb guide I guess:

Contents:
- Guide to Agent Missions v1.2b (2005/10/25)
- Guide to Research v1.2 (2005/09/04)
- Amarr storyline mission text (2004/06/20)
- Caldari storyline mission text (2004/10/24)
- Gallente storyline mission text (2004/06/22)
- Minmatar storyline mission text (2004/10/27)
- Contraband Reference Card (2004/07/30)
- Faction Relations Table (2005/09/04)
- Skill Explorer
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 09:16:41 AM by Jamiko »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: January 27, 2006, 08:56:24 AM

Darn - virus blocked.

AND THIS IS MY LEET POST!!!!!!

WayAbvPar

Reply #417 on: January 27, 2006, 09:14:41 AM

I bought the Prima guide used off of Amazon a couple of weeks ago. It sucks ass. It has about 40 pages about the various racial shoips, then about 150 pages of 'Pirate Locations'. Then a few pages about corps. It would have been a piece of shit when the game came out; now it is beyond worthless.

Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: January 27, 2006, 01:47:17 PM

I bought the Prima guide used off of Amazon a couple of weeks ago. It sucks ass. It has about 40 pages about the various racial shoips, then about 150 pages of 'Pirate Locations'. Then a few pages about corps. It would have been a piece of shit when the game came out; now it is beyond worthless.

Yep - the ship stats (the main reason I got it) was mostly incorrect at launch, both in terms of the number of high/mid/low slots and the skill bonuses they gave. Hell even some of the pictures (and I think names) were wrong!
Strazos

Reply #419 on: January 28, 2006, 02:11:11 PM

This is why guides are stupid, especially for an MMO.

I would see my friend buy a new guide for FFXI every couple of months and just laugh.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: All things EVE  
Jump to: