Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:02:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: News brief: Game still fun! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: News brief: Game still fun!  (Read 10777 times)
pxib
Terracotta Army

on: December 15, 2005, 06:01:09 PM

Now that I've more or less completely given up on WoW and don't feel guilty for paying for it while I'm not actually -playing- it, I've gone back and played Guild Wars for the last week or so. It is exactly as I left it, but the flavors of the month have changed.

Whee!

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 06:09:33 PM

Can you elaborate please?  When did you quit, how are the update cycles, and what seems to be the current flavor?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 11:30:43 AM

Monks have discovered Contemplation of Purity, expertise based ranger/necromancers are touch-range terrors, and warriors (who are not quite so freqently W/Mo's) are using axes or hammers instead of swords. Fire elementalists are just as common as air elementalists, if not more so. Mesmers are EVERYWHERE.

It's a different game, but the same game!

To look at the guildwarsguru forums there have been a lot of skill modifications, but for somebody who's been gone a few months it's hardly noticable.

Also, some people are wearing pumpkins on their heads.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 12:06:17 PM

It seems A.net has gone silent, presumably with their nose to the grindstone for the expansion.
There is stuff going on with international competive play but that really only effects the hardcore of the hardcore.

"Me am play gods"
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 11:10:19 PM

They've pretty much taken every skill that gave you an edge (does that mean unbalanced?) and balanced it so they are more in line with all of the other skills. It's getting more difficult to put togather a build that ensures a win most of the time in the random 4v4 arena.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 12:43:37 AM

Specifically it looks like they've tried to weed out anything that said "Well gee, if you're playing a [class] you're gimping yourself if you don't have [skill]." A lot of the old builds from the creative days have come back, and several weird new ones show up in team play. I am well pleased.

Warning: THE thing that sucks most about the game (its mostly whining, self-aggrandizing, vicious, rude and moronic player base), has NOT changed either.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 10:54:41 AM

Are there still only 4? or was it 6? toon slots?

Maybe this is the thing for my game malaise.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 04:35:57 PM

Still only 4. Which leaves me with 1 slot for my PvP characters. After I get tired of a build I have to delete it and roll a new one.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 05:04:44 PM

Four is all you need. The only thing I long for is more storage space...

Once you get through the single player campaign as far as the volcano isles (ouch, I know) you can buy any non-elite skills you've missed... for any of the classes because by then you can change your sub-class. It's just a matter of money and skill points. As a general rule I recommend avoiding everything other than free-skill quests until you hit level 20, so that you have plenty of experience available later. Getting from 1-20 will happen naturally before you hit the shiverpeaks... usually you're at 17 by the time you Ascend, and killing the Doppleganger for bonus will take you all the way from 17 to 20.

Remember to go back and do the free-skill quests for your sub-classes once you can change them. The class-specific ones in Ascalon and Yak's Bend are open to you as soon as you change. More free skills! More saved skill points!

Although it's nice to have spiffy armor and customized weapons, if you don't mind doing without you can transfer any weapon or shield or off-hand to your PvP character via the bank box... and 1000 faction for non-elites and 3000 for elites is a lot more affordable than it used to be.

There are some elites that just aren't worth hunting down.

---

In my opinion, make yourself a monk/whatever. They're the easiest to get all the way through the game. Always appreciated and DEMANDED in groups. Easiest way to guarantee wins in the Competition (random) arena too. Then, once you've gotten them through, start up the other two alts required to have one of every profession and play them until you're sick of them, going back to PvP with your monk when you're bored.

You'll have yourself all sorts of faction and cash in no time.

Plus if you get really bored, like I did, you can quit for a few months and come back! Hooray!

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 10:20:55 AM

Or.

Roll a Necromancer.  Specialize in Death Magic.  Get to the mission with the armor imbuing dude.  Enter by yourself.  Walk up a little bit until you come to the battle between the Stone Summit and the White Mantle.  Start throwing down diseases and blowing up corpses.  Reap in exp and loot because you're alone and taking down a lot of enemies.  Do this as much as you can before you die.  Repeat until rich/loaded with skill points.

Figured that one out myself when I was trying to catch up to the rest of my guild in terms of unlocked skills and available money.  Went past them all pretty quick.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 08:53:23 AM

Four is all you need if you're one of those linear, one toon at a time people.  I'm one of those people with the attention spam of a flea when it comes to levelling a toon; I can't level one, I tire of it too easily, and have to switch around.  I need at least 5 slots, 6 would be better, 8 ideal.

I frequently quit games before I max level though.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 10:59:23 AM

Figured that one out myself when I was trying to catch up to the rest of my guild in terms of unlocked skills and available money. Went past them all pretty quick.

Sadly, you way doesn't work anymore because they've made the AI more spastic. Not smarter, but it runs around and changes targets more frequently.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 06:41:05 PM

It still worked, they'd change targets on my all the time.  I'd just run out of their melee range until they changed back.

Since disease catches to all other nearby units of the same type, I'd put that on a dwarf and a white mantle, let them hurt each other, wait until a corpse dropped, then blow it up, which'd usually create another from one who was nearly dead, blow that up, etc etc etc.  Usually they didn't have much time to react.  Of course, you'll probably die to the ones wandering around and not in the big crowd, but that's no big deal- just try to pick up the loot first.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 06:45:27 AM

Four is all you need if you're one of those linear, one toon at a time people.  I'm one of those people with the attention spam of a flea when it comes to levelling a toon; I can't level one, I tire of it too easily, and have to switch around.  I need at least 5 slots, 6 would be better, 8 ideal.

I frequently quit games before I max level though.

Well you could always pay the amount you would normally pay for a month or two subs of anything else to buy a second account.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 07:44:08 AM

They put Observer mode in over the holidays.  Its kinda interesting to see what builds the l33t guilds are running.  Its tempting me to make another stab at competitive PvP again.

"Me am play gods"
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 04:15:29 PM

Perfecting the art of softball interviews
Why even have CRM if you aren't going to say anything?

"Me am play gods"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: News brief: Game still fun!  
Jump to: